RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average

[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat
Illusions are problematic. They always seems to lead to discussions with several interpretations.
Quote this message in a reply
oh. ok. So when it comes to rules-lawyering: it always works the way the GM thinks at that very moment. No veto. Smile I did not make it deliberately this way but in retrospective I think the first illusion was a nice attempt but didn't work as expected (both saved) so we may take it that DM worked in favour of opponents but the second one worked like charm (I saw no reason for them to save even though there was no buzzing noise) so DM worked in favour of party, 1:1.
It's not a criticism on you. You are doing a fine job. It's just the nature of illusions. They never seem to work as intended for me. Not that I've had many attempts over the years. It just seems that whenever I do, the GM always seem to call them ineffective. So I just don't mess with them any more.
I think I got your point. And didn't think it was criticism. But I think we dms, you included of course, can make an effort like asking players "ok so how do you expect it to work?" Or "I think it works like this unless you have a better idea." And letting Occam's razor deal with the rest.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én ALE-L21 eszközömről
(01-17-2018, 04:23 PM)Lugar Wrote: It's a tough balancing act between keeping things moving but also staying consistent with the many rules.  I think some of the best moments in a DnD game can happen when the rules are bent a little to propel the story along. For example, I had always thought the "Darkness" spell made an area pitch-black, like a thick milky darkness, until someone pointed out the actual wording of the spell. "This spell causes an object to radiate shadowy illumination out to a 20-foot radius. All creatures in the area gain concealment (20% miss chance). Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness."  That day I learned it was possible to illuminate a dark cavern with DarknessTongue  If I had followed the description of the spell previously though, the same guy who pointed out how this spell actually works would never had been able to beat the Orc chieftain, taken command of the tribe, reach level 12, and single handedly kill all my big bad bosses!  His character would have died at level 6. 

I checked it and Darkness was changed from 3.0 to 3.5:

http://www.dragon.ee/30srd/spellsd.htm
As I know Torin is up to date except his HP , non-leathal damage and state.

I will update him.
Yeah. I tend to let my players have a long leash on illusions as long as nothing is too far-fetched. Illusions are even more of a pain in Rolemaster. I spent some time working up on what I thought would make a great illusion for a distractions and all I got was basically 'oh yeah that did nothing.' I found it very frustrating. I'll use more direct illusions that have a definite description, but I apparently have no skill with the art of illusion. I'll save time and just stick a sword in their guts. Wink
I'm sorry, I have to let you guys know this. I'm fighting a losing battle with RL. I've got a wife to care for, plus work, plus Chem class, plus a game I'm DMing. I don't know if I can manage to post here for the time being.
That's fair and square. Not that pace is so tense nowadays :-) Just let me know if you drop out for a while (or permanently) and I will dmpc your character as long as needed/feasible

Tapatalkkal küldve az én ALE-L21 eszközömről
(02-13-2018, 04:28 PM)Shanna Rendin Wrote: I'm sorry, I have to let you guys know this.  I'm fighting a losing battle with RL.  I've got a wife to care for, plus work, plus Chem class, plus a game I'm DMing.  I don't know if I can manage to post here for the time being.

Very sorry to lose you.  I hope you come to a change in circumstances.  A clever player is hard to lose but I understand.  At least you gave fair warning.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon