RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average

[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat
Both of those sound like the standard rule. Similar to fear effects with fatigue I suppose. For non-lethal damage it would make sense as well.
Quote this message in a reply
Can't really get what you mean with fear effects. You mean that if a frightened creature is affected by some new kind of fear then it becomes panicked? Can't see this written anywhere.
My problem with stacking fatigue in case of starvation and thirst is that they are handled at the same point at the same mechanism and you don't "do" something that causes fatigue when you continue starving. It "happens." So from rules lawyering perspective I would say they don't stack (no exhaustion).
From reality perspective, as well as how I assume the rule was intended, I guess that they stack (even two failed checks for same thing do) and thus cause exhaustion.
From DM perspective, considering the current effect; its possible severe consequences; and the storyteller's intent behind what's going on-- I would really like to say that they don't stack-- that is, unless that creates an undesired precedent case for similar situations in the future.

Many forum posters agree that starvation and thirst, RAW, are a joke. You can go 3 days without being fed, then eat (say, after 71 hours to avoid the necessary Con check), and go 3 more days without food and without consequences. I agree with them that these figures should stack, like, one full day of eating decreases your "backlog" by one day and you don't have to save that day but if you skip one day again then there you go again with as many days plus one. Normally this shouldn't be an issue and I don't plan any "hunger games" along this looooong adventure chain (remember we are still in chapter 2 of 7) just find this interesting to think about it.

Of course, a starving barbarian would be exhausted after a rage (to the end of the encounter which is usually sooner than the end of the rage...).
Considering Toot's current predicament I figured I'd bring up this question.  Goodberry states it nourishes a medium sized creature.  Does nourishment include dehydration?  I never really thought about it before but there is some debate online.

The definition of Nourishment is: the food or other substances necessary for growth, health, and good condition.

Obviously water is necessary for growth, health and good condition.  In fact it's MORE necessary because you can survive longer without food than water.

Anywhoo, I thought I'd toss this question out there.   Big Grin
(12-18-2017, 11:09 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: Hm. I was wondering whether "fatigued twice means exhausted" rule applies to starvation and thirst. If it does then Toot and Boo are exhausted and not fatigued...
Also, I can't find the D&D counterpart of the Pathfinder rule that if your nonlethal damage exceeds your TOTAL (not current) hit points then all excess turns into lethal damage instead. (i.e. if you have 50hp max and you receive 50+50+10 = 110hp nonlethal then you are dead for good)

Well normally fatigue does stack but after reading starvation and thirst there is no mention of exhaustion.  They technically don't even mention the possibility of being both starving and thirsty at the same time. 

I did find this:  Sandstorm (pg. 15) specifies that characters who fall unconscious from dehydration start taking lethal damage. It doesn't say anything about starvation.
Maybe time is running fast here in the maze. Somebody said something about time before...
(12-18-2017, 06:45 PM)Silent Giant Wrote: Maybe time is running fast here in the maze. Somebody said something about time before...

If so, wouldn't we get a Spellcraft check or Knowledge (whatever) check?  

DM:  When Toot succeeded in his Spellcraft check, did he think it was a spell doing this to them?
Didn't get to deep when considering what nutrition means but reading the debate I'd say that some restrictions may actually come handy when using Goodberry. Like, no healing effect more than one a day. And feeding it to unconscious members may call for a healing check to avoid suffocation. But yes, I agree that it provides fluids, considering how a regular berry provides the same ratio of sugar+water.

Now, campaign settings or climates do make difference. Desert life requires more water, e.g. 3x, in which case you need three berries a day, or two gallons of water and a berry. Divide by four for tiny creatures :-)

I don't think it obsoletes create food completely since the latter creates food out of thin air while you need fresh berries for the former. Hard to get in many places, including desert, aquatic, underground, arctic, etc.

About the spellcraft check; Toot considered the spell mentioned and dismissed it as a possibility. Thirst and hunger both feel real.

I'll amend my ic post stating that Toot was still thirsty. The nonlethal damage still remains as well as fatigue until rest. I guess. :-)

Tapatalkkal küldve az én ALE-L21 eszközömről
About flow of time,

Maybe a wisdom check is in order. :-)
I'll secretly roll what's still a secret
So Shanna rolled to see if there was a magic trap that they are in right now.
Or an int check to remember?
Torin used divine power not arcane, didn't he?

"And now some details about what we managed to decipher from the lengthy description of the Chant and the associated ritual. The Sea of Fear is strongly tied to arcane powers. Be careful about anything arcane, even your own powers, and make sure you are not lured by enchantments, charms, or compulsions. Take painful efforts to watch the time since it may fly faster than you think and the portal may close before you'd ever realise."

http://forums.rpgaddicts.com/showthread....1#pid19801

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon