RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Character Concepts and Creation
(10-19-2020, 04:59 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: Can you give me a link?

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2323121
Quote this message in a reply
(10-17-2020, 04:09 PM)Crozar the Sunspot Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 02:46 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: Which type of Cactacae did you choose?  Because regular Cactacae have have an LA +2.  Mountain Cactacae only have an LA+0.
Level Adjustment is something I'm still trying to wrap my head around.  So if I went with a regular Cactacae, as a level two character I would still functionally be level 1?  If i understand how it is supposed to work as explained here: https://dungeonsdragons.fandom.com/wiki/...r%20level.

Then functionally I am stuck at level 1 functionally until I have enough XP to hit level 4, at which point I would functionally advance to level 2? And from that point forward I would level normally although always 2 levels lower than my XP total would indicate?

This probably a better source because it at least offers a chart.  http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/...tments.htm You would need to have a CLASS LEVEL of 6th (and then 9th) before you can start buying off the Level Adjustment.

From the source there is an example of a Drow who has a +2LA and no Monster Hit Dice, which is exactly the same as yourself.  I hope this clears up some confusion.  The self correcting nature of gaining experience points should let eventually catch up in experience.

Quote:Similarly, a drow cleric who has just reached 6th level (ECL 8) is eligible to reduce her level adjustment from +2 to +1. She must pay 7,000 XP, and her ECL becomes 7 (6 class levels plus her +1 level adjustment). When she gains her 9th class level (ECL 10), she can reduce her level adjustment to +0 (and her ECL to 9) by paying another 9,000 XP.
Just wanted to make sure you're aware of something about mythweavers sheets: if you put the weight of a weapon or armor in the weight box, and also put that item in your inventory with weight, the weight is counted both times. So you really should have a much lower weight than you're currently showing.
(10-20-2020, 08:58 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: Just wanted to make sure you're aware of something about mythweavers sheets: if you put the weight of a weapon or armor in the weight box, and also put that item in your inventory with weight, the weight is counted both times.  So you really should have a much lower weight than you're currently showing.

Thanks, I had not noticed that.
(10-17-2020, 07:03 PM)DM Vitkyng Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 04:53 PM)GM Marvel Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 04:09 PM)Crozar the Sunspot Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 02:46 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: Which type of Cactacae did you choose?  Because regular Cactacae have have an LA +2.  Mountain Cactacae only have an LA+0.
Level Adjustment is something I'm still trying to wrap my head around.  So if I went with a regular Cactacae, as a level two character I would still functionally be level 1?  If i understand how it is supposed to work as explained here: https://dungeonsdragons.fandom.com/wiki/...r%20level.

Then functionally I am stuck at level 1 functionally until I have enough XP to hit level 4, at which point I would functionally advance to level 2? And from that point forward I would level normally although always 2 levels lower than my XP total would indicate?

Cactacae are LA+2 which means you add that onto your Class level to find out your Character Level.  So if you start at Level 1 you would be the equivalent of a 3rd level character.  So you need 3000xp but you only have 2,500xp.   Confused

So we have a few options:
  1. You could just choose a Mountain Cactacae. They have an LA+0 which is the same as a regular human, elf, dwarf, etc. 
  2. I could bump both you and Kobo up 500xp's.  That really isn't much when the next lowest level character is 8000xp ahead of you.  Don't worry, in 3.5e lower level characters gain xp faster than the higher level characters so  the idea is you will eventually catch up.
  3. Or I could 'Loan' you the 500xp's that you would pay back when you gain xp.  I have done this before when a player just needed a few more xp's to go up a level.  Everyone else was leveling up so I lent him the xp's so they could too.  

I'm leaning toward option 2.  Mountain Cactacae are just watered down versions of regular Cactacae and who wants to play a race that's basically the red headed step child to a true the Cactacae.  As for option #3, both of you are starting 3 levels lower than almost all group.  So i will bump you both up 500xp.  So you will have 3000xp but you're a first level character.  In order to get to 2nd level you will need to reach 6000xp.  There is a way to buy off those Level Adjustments but I have to look at the rules for that.  I seem to recall not being a fan of the buy off rules so I may need to do some research into other ideas.

Or you could borrow the LA = less ability points rule from my game   Wink

As you mentioned, this is best for Character points.  I was looking around and thought of a way to apply it to rolling stats.  Every LA costs 2 stat points.  So LA+2 would cost 4 stat points to buy 1 level off.  Then you lose another 2 stat points to buy off another LA.  For a total of 6 stat points.  But if your stat modifiers are really high [like over +10] that wouldn't be a big deal especially when racial mods just soak those penalties up.  So perhaps saying you add an additional +2 for each level so LA+1 would cost +4; LA +2 would cost +6.  Then the total would be 10 point penalty to stats.   What do you think?  Would 6 points be ok or would 10 points make more sense?
(10-17-2020, 07:00 PM)DM Vitkyng Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 02:46 PM)GM Marvel Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 05:53 AM)Crozar the Sunspot Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 05:41 AM)GM Marvel Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 05:31 AM)Crozar the Sunspot Wrote: As the Elementarii have heavy and light crossbow as weapon proficiencies, would I be able to also use a Rivebow (not that I could afford one) and/or Chakri?

I'm at work right now so I can't look at the race abilities but I think they get the Rivebow and Chakri as weapons they can use because it's a racial weapon.  I sent you a PDF link so you can look in there for what the Race gets.

It doesn't say they get them as racial weapons. It says they can consider them martial weapons instead of exotic, but as Elementarii doesn't give access to a full class, I figured it was better to ask.

It looks like you will need a class that that gives you martial weapons to be able to use them.  Undecided  You can always multiclass to a fighter or some other class that gives martial weapons.

Which type of Cactacae did you choose?  Because regular Cactacae have have an LA +2.  Mountain Cactacae only have an LA+0.

Re martial weapons   we ll get a free background feat at 1st level   take Militia  !!  it grants Martial weapon proficiency  regardless of your class

Good catch.  While looking at the Martial Weapon Proficiency I realized how much it sucks.  For a feat, you choose ONE weapon.   Dodgy  How shitty is that?  I can't see why a wizard should lose a whole feat just to be able to use a longsword or an axe!  There is a Homebrew feat called Militia that I think makes a lot more sense.  

Quote:Militia [General, Regional]
You're a full-time militia member who has served in the guard in your homeland. Naturally, you've received weapons training.
Prerequisite: STR 13, CON 13
Benefit: You gain proficiency with all martial weapons.

I don't usually like Homebrew stuff because it tends to be over powered but the Official proficiency is so sucky that I offered Crozar the feat if he doesn't want the background feat.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon