RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

~Character Construction/ Creation~
(04-22-2021, 02:56 PM)Johnny Blair Wrote: 1) I’ve seen videos like that.  Besides the size, a surgeon who isn’t careful with his scalpel risks more than a malpractice suit.  Those things are incredibly sharp.

2) Yeah, we always viewed that as fake bullcrap.  *Real* wrestling takes a LOT out of you.  Each period is only 2 minutes long, but it’s 2 minutes of using every muscle in your body, as hard as you can, to move around someone of equivalent size and strength who’s also using every muscle in their body as hard as they can. And there are three periods in a match.

That's why I used quotes for 'professional' and described our fights as shows.  It was mostly for fun except for the two teens in that one fight.  The fight ended when my friend accidently kicked his 'enemy' in the balls instead of the ass while he was bent over on the ground.  It's funny how quickly a fight can end when your balls get booted into your chest.
Quote this message in a reply
(04-22-2021, 02:17 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: 1)  This is part of what I meant about the Ultimate Powers Book not giving much information.  It doesn't even say how long it takes for the power to work.  The way I read it, it sounds like you're still doing a regular operation, minus the need to make sure every blood vessel is cauterized and the need to keep the person breathing, etc. which is means you might be able to perform the operation in 50% to 10% of the time.   But someone else might read it and believe the power is instantaneous which would be scary. But I can sort of see how that might being possible.  The power states that the end result doesn't have to be pretty. Imagine just touching someone and you instantly ripping their head! YIKES!  The crazy part is they would still be alive! Now that I think about it, when you grapple and win, you choose what part of the body you grapple.  Obviously the amount of time it takes would also depend upon how willing the subject was to have you use your power. They should be able to attempt to escape the hold before you start using the power the next round.  The power also doesn't mention if there is even any pain involved.  I'd assume that would be up to you to decide if you wanted to disconnect the nerves.  

2) Yes, can still do transplants.  We can assume that if you wanted to transplant an arm, you just pick up the arm and press the limb against the body. Both hands would just touch the incision sight with both your hands.

3)  I like powers that are thematic and so that sounds good.

4)  It doesn't really matter to me.  As a DM, I am kind of wondering how much use you're going to get with the powers.  In my 35 years of playing Marvel I don't think anyone has ever needed a transplant.  Of course, now that you have this character it brings up more opportunity to introduce those types of plot points.  The same goes for Sleep Induced and Plague Carrier.  For the former, it targets people indiscriminately.  If you were to use sleep induced in downtown Manhattan you'd could be putting 1000's of people asleep.  Just with people falling asleep at the wheel and running over people, the possible death toll could be enormous.  The latter will be difficult because diseases need time to work their magic (Onset is 1 - 10 turns) and according to the power, the infected person can even die.  So you'll likely be using this power to cure rather than harm.  Or if you did use it to harm, you'd have to cure it before anything permanent happens.

5) We actually have a former PC's character in the game named Canker who's been put into a medically induced coma.  He didn't have exactly your powers but he disappeared fairly quickly so that doesn't really matter.  He joined Emma Frost's Academy and soon after he accidently infected many of the teens with a strange virus that made them very aggressive.  This aggression caused the teens and a giant virus to attack the mansion.  The non-affected teens managed to defeat them and figured out that the giant virus was actually Canker who had somehow (not even he knew) transformed into the virus and then instinctively returned to the mansion where he felt safest.  He then started to instinctively reach out to the teens he was closest with and accidently infected them.  Some of the teens at the school, like Saleem, still have lingering effects of the virus.  

My point to this story is if you wanted, you could take over his storyline with your character.  You could wake up from the coma and start playing without the need to be introduced.  If you'd rather not, that's fine.

1) I would think that in determining the specific use case of the power would allow for a case-by-case determination as to the main goal.  It would probably be useful to set a base line for common actions (setting sutures/stitches; removing status effects like blindness, paralysis, etc.; set a bone; limb transplant; head transplant; organ transplant; joint rejuvination; flesh bonding; it really depends on how specific you tend to be with wounds) in regards to amount of time required, base difficulty.  Then in a given situation if a focus needs to be made to getting something done quicker or more precisely (less scarring or less chance of side effects) there would be a reasonable start to figure what that impact should be.

4) I did read some of the storylines already out there, and just knowing mutant storylines in general, I also like the idea of big indiscriminate powers.  They are good story drivers, and the quest for control is a nice character motivator.  I get what you are saying about the rarity of needing a transplant, but as you implied once you have a tool you look for reasons to use it.  Also, as I mentioned in the paragraph above, grafting lets you basically do psychic surgery replicating normal medical procedures, there are many common healing actions that could fall under the purview of this power that increase its general usefulness.  I've got enough time sunk into this that if you think this could be workable into the story, I would like to stick with it.  I don't mind to change stuff if it makes working me in easier for you.

5)  That storyline sounds very much in line with something I could see happening with Niall.  I don't have a problem stepping into that position/storyline.  Is that forum thread still accessible somewhere?
(04-22-2021, 03:07 PM)GM Marvel Wrote:
(04-22-2021, 02:56 PM)Johnny Blair Wrote: 1) I’ve seen videos like that.  Besides the size, a surgeon who isn’t careful with his scalpel risks more than a malpractice suit.  Those things are incredibly sharp.

2) Yeah, we always viewed that as fake bullcrap.  *Real* wrestling takes a LOT out of you.  Each period is only 2 minutes long, but it’s 2 minutes of using every muscle in your body, as hard as you can, to move around someone of equivalent size and strength who’s also using every muscle in their body as hard as they can. And there are three periods in a match.

That's why I used quotes for 'professional' and described our fights as shows.  It was mostly for fun except for the two teens in that one fight.  The fight ended when my friend accidently kicked his 'enemy' in the balls instead of the ass while he was bent over on the ground.  It's funny how quickly a fight can end when your balls get booted into your chest.

That sometimes happens, entirely by accident (!!), in my kind of wrestling.  The ref usually stops the match right away.

And can I say...John would be very creeped out by this guy and his powers despite the fact that he could, potentially, alleviate John of his most obvious physical mutation.
Yeah, I don't think grafting can not be creepy to most people who see it in action.  Even something as minor as just sealing up a cut would cause the skin and muscle to move and ripple in strange and unnatural ways.  In my mind Niall is a guy who wants to be nice and friendly and chill, but just can't help coming across as kind of creepy and weir.
So did we settle on the two handed restriction on grafting as a REM restriction or no? I didn't see a response to some of the other restrictions I proposed if an alternate/add-on is needed.
Re: Canker info

Just a little background info:  This game started on another website.  The owner of that site no longer wanted to be part of it and for whatever reason, would not let her friends take over the site.  We were told this site's admins were negotiating with her but we may have to start saving info for everyone's games.  Then suddenly the site just vanished along with all the information for this game and there was no way to get it back.   Angry  I had my other game but this one was hit hardest.  Not only was info lost but we had no way to contact players to tell them we moved.  

So anyway, basically I'm saying Canker's posts are all gone.  The only post I have for him are when I briefly brought him back to bring closure to his storyline with that battle.  You should be able to find my posts by searching "Canker" under my name.  You will have to scroll back a bit to find the start of the battle because they didn't know it was him.  Maybe searching for "Amoeba" or "germ" might help you find what's left of his story.
I found it and have read over what is available here of that story line.  It sucks that the old site went away like that.

Given the big (little?) body transformation, it even kind of makes sense that he would functionally become a new person.  Pretty sure there is even official canon of something like that happening.  I'm fine stepping into that role in the active storyline, and would only need to tweak my mother's affiliate from Xavier to Frost to explain winding up at her academy.  It seems like that storyline is now winding down however, so if it would be easier/cleaner story-wise to introduce brand-new, I am totally fine with that too. Really I just want to be involved, so how I get there is a secondary concern.

So are there any other details that need to be locked down?
(05-12-2021, 02:04 AM)Niall Glacian Wrote: I found it and have read over what is available here of that story line.  It sucks that the old site went away like that.

Given the big (little?) body transformation, it even kind of makes sense that he would functionally become a new person.  Pretty sure there is even official canon of something like that happening.  I'm fine stepping into that role in the active storyline, and would only need to tweak my mother's affiliate from Xavier to Frost to explain winding up at her academy.  It seems like that storyline is now winding down however, so if it would be easier/cleaner story-wise to introduce brand-new, I am totally fine with that too. Really I just want to be involved, so how I get there is a secondary concern.

So are there any other details that need to be locked down?

You can take over from where he left off.  I'll have to PM you a few of his private details because he did leave the school to go to Frost's Academy.  He didn't do it just on a whim.  I won't be able to say much about being a giant germ because not even he knows what happened.
Brunt
Alias(es):  Brunt

190cp +10cp(random mutant)= 200cp

Primary Abilities
Ability    Rank      Score Notes/Modifiers (roll) Green Feat. Yellow Feat. Red Feat.
Fighting  Remarkable  26  (-26cp)                36-65      66-94        95-00
Agility    Good        8  (-8cp)                46-75      76-97        98-00
Strength  Excellant  16  (-16cp)                36-65      66-94        95-00
          / Amazing  46  (+2sc from Growth)    26-55      56-90        91-00
Endurance  Remarkable  26  (-16cp) +1 cs random-  36-65      66-94        95-00
Reason    Poor        3  (-3cp)                56-85      86-99        00
Intuition  Typical    5  (-5cp)                51-80      81-97        98-00
Psyche    Typical    5  (-5cp)                51-80      81-97        98-00
(200 -79cp Total on FASERIP =121cp left)

Secondary Abilities
Health: 76/ 106
Resources: Feebile(-2cp)
Popularity: 0
Origin: Random Mutant:  (+1cs endurance, Start with +10 Character points)
(121cp -2cp resources= 119cp left over)

Karma Pool: --
Advancement Fund Karma:  --

Powers (  / - )
Power                                              Rank      Score Notes/Modifiers (roll) Green Feat. Yellow Feat. Red Feat.     
1) Body Control (Growth)(-10cp)      -              Remarkable 30    (-30cp)              36-65      66-94        95-00    (Increase to 18', +2 cs to be hit, & Strength)
2)Physical Enhancement-Armor Skin (Leather)(-10cp)- Remarkable 30  (-30cp)              36-65      66-94        95-00                            
 3.)Physical Enhancement-Regeneration(-20)-          Feeble 2      (-4cp)              61-90      91-99                  00
(119cp -40cp powers - 64cp ranks=  15cp left over)

Limitation
None

Talents ( 1 / - )
Talent                Notes/Modifiers  Rank                        Green Feat. Yellow F.  Red Feat.
1) Maetial Arts B (Boxing)- (-10cp)(+1CS to Fighting)    Remarkable/ Monsterous          36-65/21-50 66-94/5185-90 95-00/86-00
3) - -- - - -
4) - -- - - -
(15cp -10cp Talent= 5cp left over)

Contacts ( 1 / - )
Contact Notes
1) unknown (-5cp)
2) - --
3) - --
4) - --
5cp -5cp Contact= 0cp left)

Group Affiliation: None
Base of Operations: Xavier's School for Gifted Youth

Identity: Public

Physical Description
Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Caucasion
Height: 5'
Weight: 125lbs..
Appearance:  He wears his hair cut short, Usually appears like a bulked up body builder, other times he reverts to a normal sized skinny teenager.

Costume: --

Gear: Cell phone, with earbuds

Transportation: Teleportation

Background
Mother: Karen Anders
Father: William Anders
Siblings: Sam Anders (8yrs), and Susan (18 yrs).
Demeanor: Christian Tends to keep to himself, speaks slowly, is not very intellectual, but is thoughtful.
Motivation: Wants to learn how to use his powers to be more athletic.
History: His life started normaly, as a scrawny little kid, who was often picked on by bullies, and his alcoholic father,  for not being smart,athletic or popular. He was born the middle child of
Karen Anders, a Liberian, and William Anders, a truck driver, his older sister has started Nursing school, and his younger brother is in grade school. During his first week of grade 9, at the age of 14, he was the victim of a vicious attack by a group of bullies, who where beating him mercilessly with the intent of hospitalizing or killing him. One of the bullies pulled a knife and attempted to stab Christian, when his strange powers suddenly manifested themselves. Suddenly he grew to immense size, three times the size of his largest bully, with an immense amount of muscle mass, and in his rage, he retaliated, hospitalizing six kids, one of which remains in a coma to this day. When the dust settled, and he realized what he had done, he ran and went into hiding. While he was in hiding from the authorities his parents faced the backlash from the community for the injuries he inflicted on his bullies, and his parents lost thier jobs. As a result Christian's parents where forced  to disowned him and move to another state. During this time he was captured and arrested several times, but kept managing to escape do the massive increase in his physical attributes, his new found mutant abilities afforded him. While on the run he learned to box, and often took part in illegal underground fighting competitions, in order too make money. This is where the authorities usually traked him down. When Christian was finally brought into custody, he was made a ward of Professor Xavier, and placed in Xavier's School for Gifted Youth, delivered in restraints, under threat of permanent incarseration,  unless he gets himself educated and his life turned around. Christian is not an overly studious student, but has put his powers to use learning to box competitevly.

Notes: --

Simplified Sheet!

Blank Sheet
Alias(es):

Primary Abilities
Ability | Rank | Score | Notes/Modifiers | Green Feat | Yellow Feat | Red Feat
Fighting | Typical | 5 | - | 51 | 81 | 98
Agility | Typical | 5 | - | 51 | 81 | 98
Strength | Typical | 5 | - | 51 | 81 | 98
Endurance | Typical | 5 | - | 51 | 81 | 98
Reason | Typical | 5 | - | 51 | 81 | 98
Intuition | Typical | 5 | - | 51 | 81 | 98
Psyche | Typical | 5 | - | 51 | 81 | 98

Health:
Popularity:

Group Affiliation:
Base of Operations:
Origin:
Identity:
Weight:
Appearance:

Costume:

Gear:

Transportation:

Background
Mother: --
Father: --
Siblings: --
Demeanor: --
Motivation: --
History: --

Notes: --
I've taken a look at your character.  

First: You're a new character so all your stats should be at minimum of each score.  So Poor = 3, Typical = 5, Good = 8, Excellent = 16, Remarkable =26.  So you will need to recalculate your spending.

Second:  I'm looking at your Growth Power and it's Remarkable.  That will give you +2 Column Shift to your current strength.  Currently, that will give you a Remarkable 26 Strength (Base=good.  +1cs= Excellent.  +2cs = Remarkable). Remarkable strength is the equivalent of 1 ton (about 2000 pounds).   If I were you, I'd bump your regular strength up to Ex 16 and then your Giant Strength would be Incredible 36 (10 tons). 

Third: Are you sure you want to have Good Resources?  Good rank is the equivalent of Professional Employment or middle class.  You're 16 years old.  You might have this rank if you have a large allowance from rich parents or a tiny inheritance.  (I say 'tiny' because Excellent Resources means you have a 'small' inheritance)

Fourth:  I honestly don't like limitations unless it makes sense for the character.  They just feel difficult to adjudicate. According to the PHB, Limitations were meant to bump up the odd weak power ONE rank, not make a strong power even stronger.  Just giving 40pts (which can buy you a Remarkable 30 power rank) doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the rules.  The character points idea came from an old Polyhedron magazine so I want to double check the source and get back to you.  I may need to tweak the rules slightly so I'll get back to you. 

Fifth: We have someone who can shrink and someone who can Teleport.  I would rather you not have the teleport power because it's a 'star' power which means it's really powerful and we already have one person who can do it.   Shrinking isn't a 'star' power so if you reeeeally want it then you can take it. 

Sixth:  You may or may not want to alter your ability scores.  For example, an Excellent Fighting means formal training (equal to Cyclops, Night crawler or the Armed Forces).  Excellent Agility means Intensive training in Dexterity and/or accuracy.  Good strength is about 400 pounds (Excellent, like I suggested, is 800 pounds). Excellent Endurance means Regular Exercise (Daredevil and Human Torch).  If you bumped it up to Remarkable it means Intensive Exercise (Like Captain America and Cyclops), Bumping it to Incredible means Enhanced abilities (Like Spiderman).  I usually don't worry to much about what rank your endurance is because it's kind of a catch-all stat for getting hit points.  Poor Reason means you've had little exposure to technology but you understand complexed machines.  Having a Typical Intuition and Psyche just means you're at normal human levels.

So work on this.  I will get back to you about the limitation.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon