RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ulfgar - The best of Rat Stew. Wait What!? (Chapter One)
---Ulfgar---

Ulfgar had been in Neverwinter for nearly two weeks without any prospects for fighter's work.  No one looking for adventuring work had come to any of the local taverns on the outskirts of the city. Which was were this sort of requests normally popped up.  Still, he was new to Neverwinter and wasn't entirely sure which tavern was known to accommodate adventurers.  He was running low on coin and was almost starting to consider applying for the city guard.  Not his dream job to be sure, but Some coin was better than no coin after all. 

Then, to his luck, Finally he found his way to a place called the Driftwood Tavern and almost instantly he noticed fellow adventurers sprinkled around the Tavern enjoying it's food and ale.  Then he noticed the bartender, a middle aged human woman, giving him an appraising eye.  Not the sort of look a Dwarven woman might have given him, but the eye of sizing up a potential asset.  He smiled as it seemed like his job prospects were suddenly starting to look up.
It probably didn't help that the young fire beard was constantly bickering with some imaginary being? or were they imaginary? But, for the past two weeks Ulfgar had grumbled and stomped from tavern to Inn, from this place to that around Neverwinter looking for any work he could put his Orc smashing talents too and nothing. But then just as he was about to give in to the idea of hiring on with the city guard, something Dumathoin had actually had to the gall to chuckle at him for, he came across this fine adventuring establishment. It was fine indeed when he noticed others of his craft sitting around drink and eating, but finer still were the appreciative looks he was getting from the barkeep nearby. 

Stow it Silverbeard, I see's what I see's, Ulfgar grumbled and snapped his head to the side as though addressing a fellow dwarf, she can recognize true talent when she see's it. Pushing a few strands of fiery hair from his face with stubby fingers, he thumped toward the bar offering a respectful wave and a grin and said, I be Ulfgar Gravendak, and I be lookin' for a spot of work iffen ye knowin' of any?

Oh yeah, and a pint of ale as well, He said shooting a disdainful glance to his side once again.
---Ulfgar---

The Innkeeper looks down at you from behind her bar and smiles, "Have a seat my friend."  She soon slides a frothing mug of ale over to Ulfgar.  Its decent.  No Dwarven Summer brew or Winter Stout, but decent.  "And I might have an ear on some work. You want some sausages with that? Maybe some fresh bread to go with em?"
Iffen ye goin' to mess wit' good thing, den ye better go all out me says, Ulfgar said with a grin, lifting his mug to the bartender, he muttered before taking a drink, dat sounds good lass, thank ye. Then downing a swig of the brew, he slapped the mug down on the counter and wiped the froth from his whiskers with the back of his other hand. Ye say ye might be knowin' of some work den? 
---Ulfgar---

The Innkeeper smiles, "I do. Apparently a village not far from Neverwinter has been begging for aid.  Apparently some rich kids who thought they were adventurers went missing in some ruins close to the town. There is a party of adventures that are ready to set out, but they need a stout warrior who knows his way around a shield.  Now, that said, How much coin the village is offering is not known, but exploring ruins are involved. That alone mixed with some coin for payment holds the promise of something at least."
Tossing back the remainder of the drink, he thumped the tankard back down and wiping the froth once again, said, Aye, nosin' around ole stone works be fine, and a little bit of coin be to me likin' as well. In which direction must I be setting me boots lass? 

Iffen they be needin' a stout hammer and sturdy shield, then this ole Gravendak be just the scraper they be needin'. 
---Ulfgar---

The Innkeeper refills Ulfgar's mug and points to a table over by the hearth. "The party looking for a shield is over at that table by the fire.  Human, Halfling and an Elf by my guess."
Least dey ain't sportin' no stinkin' orcs, He said with a grin then bounded from the stool. He was about to head over to the party when he seemed to freeze for a moment as though listening to someone, then muttered, Aye Berranor, I almost forgots meself fer a moment, He then turned and fumbling in the pouch at his hip he produced a gold coin and placed it reverently upon the bar before the Bartender, Fer da hospitality, and fer pointin' me in da right direction. 

Swiping the bread she'd placed on the bar for him, he headed toward the party in question, muttering to himself as if in a heated conversation, he finally thumped up to the crew, his booming voice rumbling forth, Da lass behind da bar sayin' ye all be needin' a stout shield, I'm thinkin' I could help ye out.
---Ulfgar---

The young human man smiles, "Nice to meet you sir dwarf. My name is Henry Greyson." He puts his hand out to shake Ulfgar's. Dwarves didn't really shake hands, but Ulfgar understood it was a human and halfling thing to do when greeting someone. "Please, have a seat."

As soon as the thought passed Ulfgar's brain, the halfling male extendeds his hand as well. "Reg Shallowbottom. Good to meet you sir."

The elf male nodded to Ulfgar, which seemed their way, "Pleasure. I'm Thesius Orlan, Acolyte of Corellon Larethian." 
He felt the nudging at the back of his brain, manners, he scoffed, but shook both the human and halflings hands, then nodded to the elf, I be Ulfgar Gravendak, an' from what da lassie has been sayin', ye three be plannin' a rescue mission? 

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon