RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kids on Brooms
Anyone interested in playing in a Kids on Brooms game?  

Kids on Brooms is a rules-lite, highly collaborative RPG where the players and Headmaster will develop the story of children and upperclassmen attending a magical boarding school.  I have a few keystones I would like to build off of but would be working to help build not only the story but the world and setting with the players during campaign setup.
Quote this message in a reply
Dear Alumnus or Supporter of Wandhill Institute of Sorcery and Enchantment,

I, Headmaster Pro tempore Balian Penderghast Merriweather, am pleased to announce the commencement of our 743rd consecutive semester.  Very soon letters of introduction will be sent out to our incoming freshman class of 11-13 year olds, and letters of of welcome will be sent to our returning students.  Professor Isley has overseen the installation of the greenhouse expansion this summer, and we are excited for the cultivation of the student's first harvest of Aglaophotis this year!  Additionally, in partnership with the New York Magical Museum and the legendary Mr. Wondertainment, we will be presenting an interactive display of Magical History as a supplementary aid and entertainment for the Magical History classes and the student body at large.  Finally, in addition to the annual Yule ball near the end of the semester we will also be fielding two teams in this year's Student's Wizarding Invitational.  Due to a change of rules this year, inclusion in these teams will be open to all students with fewer than 15 demerits over the course of the semester.  Teams may be created and registered at any time during the semester.  Even though the Invitational will be hosted by the University of Frozen Mysteries, we will be hoping for a good turn out from you, our precious Alumni and Supporters, to cheer on our students to victory.

Thank you for your support, both financial and otherwise, and we look forward to working with you and our students to make this another fantastic year of making W.I.S.E choices!

Headmaster B. Merriweather
First Ring of the Unseen Circle
Iron Wand of the Golden Conclave
Watchmage of the Outer Gates
Open Wizarding Invitational MVP 1923, 1947, 1965, 1966, 1981
Editor Emeritus, Journal of Mystical Research
Headmaster Pro Tempore, Wandhill Institute of Sorcery and Enchantment
In case you are unfamiliar with the system, each character has six stats {Brawn, Brains, Fight, Flight, Charm, and Grit}. A die type (d4-d20) is assigned to each stat to indicate stats that the character is strong or weak in.  
Whenever something is being attempted the Headmaster and student will determine which stat is most appropriate for the task being attempted and the Headmaster will assign a difficulty target number, usually announced prior to the roll.  If magic is being used in the effort a d6 magic die is added to the roll as well as well as any Strength or circumstantial bonuses.  All dice explode (called a Lucky Break! reroll and add) if they roll their highest value. Finally, if the roll still fails, the player (or sometimes their allies) may choose to spend Adversity Tokens one-for-one to try to hit the target.  Characters start with 3 Adversity Tokens, and earn one whenever they fail a roll.
Characters select a certain number of Strengths (most of which allow you to do additional things with Adversity Tokens or add plusses to a given stat) and a fear, and generally acquire a wand, broom and familiar.  This is typically either done in game (for underclassmen) or in background (for upperclassmen and faculty).  Tropes are provided to act as archetypes for certain builds, but the player can adjust things as they see fit to build the character they want.
This sounds interesting, is there a rule set for character creation for the players to read?
The book is available Kids on Bikes PDF.

The only thing in the rules that are not covered above are the Tropes that you can use as character templates.  Broom, familiar and wand acquisition is typically done during the opening of the story for underclassmen, and is character backstory for everyone else.
Brains: This stat determines how book-smart a character is. This will determine how well they understand problems, how well they did or are doing in school, and how quickly they’re able to solve academic problems. Example: I know there’s a hidden door somewhere in this room. I’m going to apply what I learned in our Magical Architecture class to try to find it! 
Brawn: This stat determines how much brute strength a character has. It does not determine how well they can fight—just how well they can lift things and how much physical damage they can take. It also determines how physically intimidating a character is. Example: I want to move that giant pillar that fell in our way, so I’m going to try to push it out of the way! 
Fight: This stat determines how good a combatant a character is with whatever weapons or fighting skills you decide your character knows. Also, they’ll be able to learn how to use new weapons and fighting skills more easily, if given proper training. Example: I want to clock this bully, so I’m going to swing at his jaw! 
Flight: This stat determines how fast a character is—as well as how skilled they are at evading their problems (both literally and figuratively). Characters with a high Flight stat will be fast and tough to trap both physically and verbally. Example: I want to get out of the way of the troll’s club, so I’m going to dive out of the way! 
Charm: This stat determines how socially adept a character is and how good they are at reading the emotions of another person or group of people. Characters with a high Charm stat will be able to talk themselves out of tough situations and into good ones with relative ease—within reason. Example: I want to explain that I was out late exploring the Cursed Forest, so I need an extension on my Potions lab report! 
Grit: This stat determines how hard it is to break a character emotionally or physically. Characters with a high Grit stat will be able to keep a level head in the worst of situations and will be able to keep their cool even when pushed hard. Finally, this stat also determines how street-smart a character is. Example: The curmudgeonly Wards teacher is reading my homework out loud to the class to make fun of me. I want to look like this isn’t bothering me at all when it really is!

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon