RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5e Spelljammer game
(11-24-2020, 04:17 PM)GM Marvel Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 01:43 PM)GM Anthraxus Wrote: Yeah, your build is just fine.  I was working under the assumption you were wanting to rejigger your equipment to make use of the Medium Armor proficiency.

From what I've read they do suggest buying Scalemail but my dex is too high.  Not complaining though. Tongue  I might be switching my Strength and Wisdom around.  Since I have an 18 dex for finesses weapons and a 19 cha for my Hexblade weapon, I don't see where I need a lot of strength.  I can boost it later through the stat boosts.  Wisdom seems like it would come in a lot handier for my bounty hunter skills like Perception and Insight.

Opinions?  Suggestions?  Anyone?

And, other than the stat their based upon, in your mind, what is the difference between Athletics and Acrobatics.  Online people are saying Athletics is the superior skill.  

And please don't take offence when I ask these questions.   I just like to know everything I can about a new game.  It's part of the reason why I'm having so much trouble with making a Dark Conspiracy character. But I do hope to get that done in the next couple of days.

No worries, I'm the same way.  Often Athletics and Acrobatics can be interchanged, but Vitkyng has a good breakdown there.  Athletics covers applications of strength such as:
  • You attempt to climb a sheer or slippery cliff, avoid hazards while scaling a wall, or cling to a surface while something is trying to knock you off.

• You try to jump an unusually long distance or pull off a stunt midjump.

• You struggle to swim or stay afloat in treacherous currents, storm-tossed waves, or areas of thick seaweed. Or another creature tries to push or pull you underwater or otherwise interfere with your swimming.
Acrobatics covers your attempt to stay on your feet in a tricky situation, such as when you're trying to run across a sheet of ice, balance on a tightrope, or stay upright on a rocking ship's deck. The GM might also call for a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to see if you can perform acrobatic stunts, including dives, rolls, somersaults, and flips.
Quote this message in a reply
(11-24-2020, 04:50 PM)DM Vitkyng Wrote: Athletics = climb, jump, swim.   Acrobatics = jump, tumble

Athletics have tangible things you can do with it like climb, jump and swim; while Acrobatics basically only has balance .  There's apparently an optional rule for Tumbling but the DM will have to let us know if he's including those options in the game.  But Acrobatics says, 

Quote:"Acrobatics. Vour Dexterity (Acrobatics) check covers your attempt to stay on your feet in a tricky situation, such as when you're trying to run across a sheet of ice, balance on a tightrope, or stay upright on a rocking ship's deck. The DM might also call for a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to see if you can perform acrobatic stunts, including dives, rolls, somersaults, and flips."

In an adventure, dives, rolls, somersaults and flips will rarely do more than let you look cool.  There doesn't even seem to be any kip up rules in 5e to get you out of the prone position, which currently costs half your move speed to stand.  

You can also resist a grapple with acrobatics but you initiate one with Athletics. 

It seems like it would require a lot of creativity on the part of the player and DM to get more out of Acrobatics than just balancing on stuff.
Some artistic skills, like smithing painting, drwing, can use acrobatics or dex as an alternate check, as opposed to str to represent the high level of manual dex required to perform the task.
Working on Melville's signature.. 1st test post
So he is a wizard always dressed in a tuxedoe
(11-24-2020, 05:26 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: It seems like it would require a lot of creativity on the part of the player and DM to get more out of Acrobatics than just balancing on stuff.

It really depends on the focus of the character.  I've found that the characters that have proficiency in Acrobatics tend to find ways to use it. In Wildspace there are more opportunities for Acrobatics, particularly when moving from ship-to-ship freestyle or when tossed overboard for whatever reason.  In my view, if the player can make a solid argument for why a given skill check should be done with Acrobatics vs Athletics then I can be pretty flexible on that.
HP for level 2" HP Level 2 [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4
Not sure if you are doing a similar houserule to other games with a minimum HP per die or not.. so just noting the 4 for now.
it is standard in most games that the min = d/2+1, so fighter min/lvl = 10/2+1 = 6. most the online software for 5e Character builders operate that way ie Herolab and D&DBeyond
Signature done and chareacter ready.. we just need a game
(11-25-2020, 12:13 AM)Rupert Gladestone Wrote: it is standard in most games that the min = d/2+1, so fighter min/lvl = 10/2+1 = 6. most the online software for 5e  Character builders operate that way ie  Herolab and D&DBeyond

It might be standard but still needs to be an official DM call

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon