RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5e Spelljammer game
I have a question about starting equipment...

I picked up a bunch of starting equipment at Bard 1.  But now I'm Hexblade 1 (Character Level 2), what happens to all our starting equipment?  Do we sell it for half?  It seems odd to do that when normally characters that start at levels higher than 1st would just buy everything without needing to sell their starting equipment.  It seems like an unnecessary step.
Quote this message in a reply
(11-23-2020, 05:20 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: I have a question about starting equipment...

I picked up a bunch of starting equipment at Bard 1.  But now I'm Hexblade 1 (Character Level 2), what happens to all our starting equipment?  Do we sell it for half?  It seems odd to do that when normally characters that start at levels higher than 1st would just buy everything without needing to sell their starting equipment.  It seems like an unnecessary step.

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask.  You can either start with the standard equipment as defined by your character class (which includes a pouch of spare change as well), or you can roll for your starting cash and then you buy all of your own equipment.  There is no reason why you would sell that equipment off again.  The system seems to just assume that financial gains for most characters up through 4th level is mostly a wash as there is no bump for starting wealth until you are starting as a 5th level character.
I think we he means is that at 2nd he leveled into a new class, which allowed new equipment that he was restricted from at 1st, and wants to know if he sells his leather armor from ist level how much mony he can get to put towards the purchase of some new med armor he can now use that he has a level of hexblade ontop his initial level of bard
Ah, if that is case, I would recommend disregarding the starting equipment and just buying the armor, weapons and whatever else with the starting gold instead.  I believe Marvel rolled 100gp for that.  Scale Mail is 50gp, and your pact weapon will fulfill you basic weapon needs, leaving you 50gp to spend on an arcane focus/component pouch, some kind of Kit (of which I plan to offer a Spacefarer's kit JFYI), and anything else you want to get and can fit into that budget.
Int 16 so gain 3 languages Tool prof. ( Elven, jewellers tools, and thieves tools)

Then for feat I took Skill Expert
from TCE +1 Int and took Deseption skill and expertise in investigation (doubling my prof bonus in investigation)
(11-24-2020, 03:37 AM)GM Anthraxus Wrote: Ah, if that is case, I would recommend disregarding the starting equipment and just buying the armor, weapons and whatever else with the starting gold instead.  I believe Marvel rolled 100gp for that.  Scale Mail is 50gp, and your pact weapon will fulfill you basic weapon needs, leaving you 50gp to spend on an arcane focus/component pouch, some kind of Kit (of which I plan to offer a Spacefarer's kit JFYI), and anything else you want to get and can fit into that budget.

Unless I'm missing some advantage of wearing Scalemail, it doesn't make much sense to take because I have a Dex bonus of +4 and Scalemail only has a max dex bonus of 2 and it also create a disadvantage on stealth.  So I chose Studded leather.  It has a Max Dex of +4 and no disadvantage on Stealth checks.  So I get the same AC and it's 5gp cheaper and can be stealthy wearing it.  I also plan on using a Longsword because Hexblade lets me choose 1 weapon and use my Charisma bonus for attack and damage.
For your character no, you pretty much nailed it, scale armor just looks more bad ass! ??
Yeah, your build is just fine.  I was working under the assumption you were wanting to rejigger your equipment to make use of the Medium Armor proficiency.
(11-24-2020, 01:43 PM)GM Anthraxus Wrote: Yeah, your build is just fine.  I was working under the assumption you were wanting to rejigger your equipment to make use of the Medium Armor proficiency.

From what I've read they do suggest buying Scalemail but my dex is too high.  Not complaining though. Tongue  I might be switching my Strength and Wisdom around.  Since I have an 18 dex for finesses weapons and a 19 cha for my Hexblade weapon, I don't see where I need a lot of strength.  I can boost it later through the stat boosts.  Wisdom seems like it would come in a lot handier for my bounty hunter skills like Perception and Insight.

Opinions?  Suggestions?  Anyone?

And, other than the stat their based upon, in your mind, what is the difference between Athletics and Acrobatics.  Online people are saying Athletics is the superior skill.  

And please don't take offence when I ask these questions.   I just like to know everything I can about a new game.  It's part of the reason why I'm having so much trouble with making a Dark Conspiracy character. But I do hope to get that done in the next couple of days.
Athletics = climb, jump, swim. Acrobatics = jump, tumble

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon