RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[IC] A Nameless Roadside Inn
"It is considered a mark of a well-educated man to learn the noble languages in which much ancient histories and knowledge is recorded. I was not always the best student, but my family did ensure that I was properly tutored."
Quote this message in a reply
(02-22-2018, 04:43 AM)Sumayl al-Akhir Wrote: "It is considered a mark of a well-educated man to learn the noble languages in which much ancient histories and knowledge is recorded. I was not always the best student, but my family did ensure that I was properly tutored."

"Interesting," Aly replies.  She glances fleetingly toward the other two people sitting with her, wondering why they have suddenly grown so quiet.  "What other noble languages did your family ensure you be tutored in?"
(02-22-2018, 08:38 AM)Alynorae Eilnathna Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 04:43 AM)Sumayl al-Akhir Wrote: "It is considered a mark of a well-educated man to learn the noble languages in which much ancient histories and knowledge is recorded. I was not always the best student, but my family did ensure that I was properly tutored."

"Interesting," Aly replies.  She glances fleetingly toward the other two people sitting with her, wondering why they have suddenly grown so quiet.  "What other noble languages did your family ensure you be tutored in?"

"In my studies of metallurgy, I was tutored in the ancient language of the Giants. They have fallen from their past glories, and most are little more than brutes now, but in the ancient times they were scholars and artists and artisans of repute, and recorded much of what we know about metalwork."
"My people learn how to speak with the ancient Treant and woodland animals as well as the common tongue.  Unlike other Elves, Wood Elves prefer to keep to themselves.  Giving us little need to learn the languages that are typically taught to other elves as they grow up.  I've spent some time away from my beloved forests allowing me to have a more relaxed view to other races."

"What brings you to this area?"
Ooc - better late than never right?

Mardigan smiles out of humor at the elven woman's (Aly's) lack of card experience and dietary habits.  He nonetheless begins dealing for two when the music stops and another elven woman approaches.  He tucks a few strands of long dark hair behind his half-pointed ears to show that he is like her.  "The game is called "Go-Fish," it's quite easy."  He was about to explain the rules when a very imposing man appears by the table, politely introducing himself in elvish and strikes up a conversation.  Mardigan sizes them all up and wonders if he's ever cheated anyone out of money in a game of Go-Fish?  First time for everything, he says to himself.  "Where are my manners, my name is Mardigan."  He says in the common human tongue and reaches out to shake hands.  "What a dreadful night.  The fog brings a chill air would not you say?  But at least the music and company is pleasant here."  He says genially. "Is not that enough for anyone to come here, fire and food and finely fingered music?"
(02-19-2018, 07:10 AM)Alynorae Eilnathna Wrote: [OoC: I checked out the Racial Preferences table and apparently all elves treat Valley Elves with Antipathy while Valley Elves treat other elves neutrally.  ]

Alynorae looks at the new comer and her friendly smile fades to a neutral expression.  The Sylvan elf was a little different in her kin.  A bit more worldly.  She even covered herself in plates of metal rather than the leather more commonly preferred by her kind.  The new comer's features were much like a Grey Elf's which Sylvan Elves held with goodwill but there was something different with her body language that was difficult to place a finger upon. 

~Mára sinye. Ni'm Alynorae Eilnathna. Mana brings tye ana sina Inn on sina drearime ló,~ she asks in elvin.  Aly hoped to gain some information from the Elvin woman by hearing her accent.

[Good evening.  I'm Alynorae Eilnathna.  What brings you to this Inn on this dreary night?]

Tinarawen returns her greeting with a charming smile and a greeting of her own.  "Good evening, Mistress Eilnathna.  I am Tinarawen, a singer, an entertainer, and a chronicler of heroes."  Her speech is flawless and without accent.  If anything, it is the accent of a scholar.  "I wander the lands to add to my repertoire, allowing my instinct for adventure to lead me where it will.  And you, my new friend, appear to be an adventurer.  Any interesting tales you wish to see turned into an epic song?"

Tinarawen grins at Mardigan's comment and nods her head in thanks.
To a party of seasoned adventurers such as yourselves, this is but another dull tavern in another dull town in some nameless province. It is but another passage of time between the challenges of true adventuring. Such is the doldrum of existence —waiting for another opportunity.

Outside the Inn, a fog lies over the town this evening, draping everything in its clammy grasp. The damp cobbled street shines as the light of street lanterns dances across the slick stones. The cold fog chills the bones and shivers the soul of anyone outside.  Yet inside these tavern walls the food is hearty and the ale is warm and frothy. A fire blazes in the hearth and the tavern is alive with the tumbling voices of country folk.

Suddenly, a hush falls over the tavern. Even the flagons of ale seem to silence themselves. The tavern door swings open.  Framed by the lamp-lit fog, a form strides into the room. His heavy, booted footfalls and the jingle of his coins shatter the silence. His brightly colored clothes are draped in loose folds about him and his hat hangs askew, hiding his eyes in shadows.  Without hesitation, he walks directly up to your table and stands proudly in a wide stance with folded arms.

His accented voice speaks, "I have been sent to you to deliver this message! If you be creatures of honor, you will come to my master's aid at first light. It is not advisable to travel the Svalich woods at night!" He pulls from his tunic a sealed letter, addressed to all of you in beautiful flowing script. He drops the letter on the table. "Take the west road from here some five hours march down through the Svalich woods. There you will find my master in Barovia."

Amid the continued silent stares of the patronage, the gypsy strides to the bar and says to the wary barkeeper, "Fill the glasses, one and all. Their throats are obviously parched." He drops a purse heavy with gold on the bar. With that, he leaves. The babble of tavern voices resumes, although somewhat subdued. The letter is lying before you. Dated yesterday, the ink is still not dry and the parchment is crisp. The seal is of a crest you don't recognize.
"Strange notion of honour. A nameless person demands we come to his aid, but states not who he is or what task he needs aid with. No mention of whether the task is honourable or damnable"

He does not touch the drink, instead leaning forward to examine the letter, before passing it to the others.
Tinarawen claps excitedly. "Ah, the Fates have delivered an adventure! Do not ask why. You are a knight, are you not? You must be one of stellar reputation to have received such a request. Allow me to go with you and chronicle your adventure. Bards far and wide will sing your tale for ages, I promise." The elven woman seems genuinely excited at the prospect. She picks up the letter and reads it after Sumayl.
The letter reads....

Hail to thee of might and valor:

I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to
thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within
our community.

The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been afflicted by an
evil so deadly that even the good people of our town cannot
protect her. She languishes from her wound and I would have
her saved from this menace.

There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that
might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou but answer my