RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Character Creation/ Applications
Using material from Player's Handbook, Unearthed Arcana, Dungeoneer's/Wilderness Survival Guides.

Roll 4d6, re-roll 1's, 7 times and keep the best 6.  If your stats feel truly hopeless, let me know.  If you can't meet the minimum for the class you want, put the best stats in those spots and raise them to the minimum.  Everyone starts with 35,001 xp.  Remember to divide that if you are multiclass.  No evil.  No monster/evil races.  Starting realm is Greyhawk.  You all can start knowing each other or meet in a tavern and swap stories.
Quote this message in a reply
(12-28-2017, 11:59 AM)Man in Black Wrote: Using material from Player's Handbook, Unearthed Arcana, Dungeoneer's/Wilderness Survival Guides.

Roll 4d6, re-roll 1's, 7 times and keep the best 6.  If your stats feel truly hopeless, let me know.  If you can't meet the minimum for the class you want, put the best stats in those spots and raise them to the minimum.  Everyone starts with 35,001 xp.  Remember to divide that if you are multiclass.  No evil.  No monster/evil races.  Starting realm is Greyhawk.  You all can start knowing each other or meet in a tavern and swap stories.

(12-28-2017, 12:23 AM)DM Vitkyng Wrote: OK, rerolling stats so I can reroll 1s.. then drop lowest.

Stat 1 [1d6r2] = 5, [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 3 = 6, 5, 3 == 14
Stat 2 [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 3, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 2 = 6, 3, 2 == 11
Stat 3 [1d6r2] = 5, [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 3 = 5, 6, 3 == 14
Stat 4 [1d6r2] = 3, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 4, [1d6r2] = 5 = 3, 4, 5 == 12
Stat 5 [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 3, [1d6r2] = 4, [1d6r2] = 3 = 2, 3, 4 == 9
Stat 6 [1d6r2] = 5, [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 2 = 5, 6, 6 == 17

Would it be allowable to place these stats as 
Str 14, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 11, Chr,9. and ten bump them to meet the prerequisites for Cavalier? "A cavalier must have minimum ability scores of 15 in strength, dexterity,
and constitution, and scores of 10 in intelligence and wisdom."

I did not roll that 7th time so will do that now.. then build the Cavalier as discussed..  will be a 5th level cavelier with the 36,001 xp.. will get a character sheet setup and  a character profile created as well.

Stat 7 [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 3, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 4 = 2, 3, 4 == 9
So no change to the above scores

Str 15, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 11, Chr 9
then the Cavelier class ability modifiers for Srtr, Dex and Con

Quote:A cavalier undergoes continual training and practice in arms and warfare,
such that part of any day not spent adventuring must be spent in
mounted arms drill or combat practice on foot. As a result of this constant
training, the cavalier can increase his or her strength, dexterity,
and constitution scores. When a cavalier is at 1st level, percentile
dice are rolled for each of these abilities, just as they are for fighters
with 18 strength. A Lancer with 15 dexterity might have 15/87 dexterity
upon attaining Armiger status. The percentage has no normal effect
on play, and the ability score is considered to be the main number
(15 in this case). An exception is percentile strength above 18, which
is treated as for fighters on the strength bonuses table.

As a cavalier attains each higher level, 2d10 are rolled and the result
added to the percentile score for strength, dexterity, and constitution.
When a percentile score goes over 100, the main score is raised by 1
and the 100 is discarded. (In the example, if the cavalier with 15/87
dexterity rolls a 19 for this ability upon gaining 2nd level, the character’s
dexterity score is now 16/06, and is treated as a 16.) Ability
scores can be raised as high as 18/00 in this manner, even if doing so
violates limitations based on race or sex. If a cavalier loses a level, the
percentile points gained for that level are lost.
Str Str cavelier modifiier 1st [1d100] = 80, [2d10] = 14, [2d10] = 9, [2d10] = 15, [2d10] = 9 = 15/127 == 16/27
Dex Dex cavelier modifiier 1st [1d100] = 72, [2d10] = 19, [2d10] = 13, [2d10] = 9, [2d10] = 13 = 15/126 == 16/26
Con Con cavelier modifiier 1st [1d100] = 38, [2d10] = 11, [2d10] = 15, [2d10] = 11, [2d10] = 5 == 17/80

End resul stats
Str 16/27
Dex 16/26
Con 17/80
Int 12
Wis 11
Chr 9

Unable to find an online version of the 1st edition D&D character sheet on Mythweavers I downloaded a fillable pdf  excel spreadsheet version - I put it in my Onedrive if people want to download and use it (I will export mine to a pdf when done)

1st edition character sheet - https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjFiKq8nYxnYg8hkHZf9vItCmbcpcw
Just testing the new profile. The link in the signature points to the current PSDF of my character sheet. It will get filled out fully as I get the character detailed.

Question, how are we determining starting wealth? It's not like 1st edition had any wealth by level tables. Smile
I'll throw some items at you. Figure you have your pick of any normal equipment.

Any magic-users out there? We'll need to make some rolls to determine spells once you have stats situated.
(12-29-2017, 07:39 AM)Sumayl al-Akhir Wrote: Question, how are we determining starting wealth? It's not like 1st edition had any wealth by level tables. Smile

When you mentioned the lack of tables for treasure it got me thinking. (Oh no!  Confused  Oh YES! Big Grin ) These are obviously only ideas....  

There are AD&D Treasure Generators that might work.  There are also AD&D NPC Generators too that come with suggested magic and mundane items for our level.  The DM could either hand out gold and items individually or... something else that might be fun is if we had a treasure horde of all the pretend encounters we've had up to 5th level.  We could then choose what we keep or sell.  The Donjon Treasure generator can (I think) generate a horde that might be perfect for something like that.  You set the parameters and the generator comes up with stuff that can sometimes be pretty cool.

Anyways, it's just an idea.  I might even give it a try if I ever decide to start a new game.
Well, that was pretty much my idea. As long as I don't lose any characters before the game actually starts. Wink
In that case I just need to kit myself out with the reasonable non-magical gear (by reasonable I mean I am stopping at field plate, because full plate with a cost of 4000gp would be like a magic item in and of itself).

Question what method are we using to roll hit points, just roll them? Max at 1st then  just above half each die? Max all the way? Every DM has different preferences.

Otherquestions: more for background. Are we in a particular campaign world? What pantheon of deities can we choose from?  And we start with teh adventurers already knowing each other correct?
(12-28-2017, 11:59 AM)Man in Black Wrote: Using material from Player's Handbook, Unearthed Arcana, Dungeoneer's/Wilderness Survival Guides.

No evil.  No monster/evil races.  

When you say, no monster/evil races, are you including Drow and Duergar?
No drow, no duergar.

Use Greyhawk. Roll or take half HP. You guys can start knowing each other or just meet in the inn and get to know each other. It's up to you guys.
(12-31-2017, 09:55 AM)Man in Black Wrote: No drow, no duergar.  

Sorry for so many questions.  It's not that I'm planning on making drow or duegar but I'm just trying to narrow down my options.  I should have also asked about Deep Gnomes.  They aren't an evil race but they do offer additional abilities similar to Drow and Duegar.

Also about races like Grey Elves.  It says that they get +1 to Intelligence but don't say anything about the regular bonus of +2 to Dex and a penalty of -2 to Con.  They do get the regular Elvin adjustments to Dex and Con, right?  The only thing UA says is, Grey Elves share all the abilities of high elves.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon