RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Character Creation/ Applications
I have a couple of questions:

1) How the heck do you determine Encumbrance?  I know the weight of magic armor does not count toward encumbrance...

Quote:Note: Magic armor negates weight, so that movement does not consider
any encumbrance from magic armor. There are otherwise various types of
magic armor. 

but I can't find any information other then how carrying heavy or bulky items should effect your encumbrance.  Is the information in the DMG?  I can't seem to locate any DMG pdf's.

2)  I've asked this a couple of times, Is there any creature already inside the magic item we got called the Iron Flask? 

2)  On the topic of bracers of defense, different armor types and how they affect Thief skills I thought I would attach to this post a Screen Shot of the, Effects of Armor on Thief Functions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote this message in a reply
DMG pg. 28: When magic armor is worn, assume that its properties allow movement to the next higher base rate and that weight is cut by 50%.

[Image: aVEkrUX.png]
More encumbrance rules to be added as I find them. Rolleyes

The iron flask is empty.

The items not taken have either been used, sold off, or taken by other party members who have since parted ways.  In short, they go away.  What you have is what you get.  There will be more loot down the road.

The robe and armor...  I don't see anything on it.  Still looking.

Only missing one character sheet.
(02-18-2018, 12:05 AM)Mardigan Wrote: @Tinarawen My bad about the bracers, I thought it was the druid that asked for those and after Aly said my skills would increase without armor I thought they would be better after all.  I'll stick with the +2 Leather because we already agreed, sorry about the confusion.  You take the Wand of Illusion and I take the Deck of Illusion, sound good?
Sounds like a deal.
The below post quoted from the character creationthread says it all.. my initial stat roles before being 'bumped' up to the minimums for cavalier in 1st edition were:

17, 14, 14, 12, 11, 9, and my 7th roll was also 9 so dropped.

I chose to put the 17 into Con to make hime a tougher fighter rather than a strength fighter.. so that means my character would have

Str: 14
Dex: 14
Con: 17
Int: 12
Wis: 11
Chr: 9

I know other characters were much more 'endowed' with luck in their stats but for rolled stats these are actually pretty good.

(12-29-2017, 06:29 AM)DM Vitkyng Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 11:59 AM)Man in Black Wrote: Using material from Player's Handbook, Unearthed Arcana, Dungeoneer's/Wilderness Survival Guides.

Roll 4d6, re-roll 1's, 7 times and keep the best 6.  If your stats feel truly hopeless, let me know.  If you can't meet the minimum for the class you want, put the best stats in those spots and raise them to the minimum.  Everyone starts with 35,001 xp.  Remember to divide that if you are multiclass.  No evil.  No monster/evil races.  Starting realm is Greyhawk.  You all can start knowing each other or meet in a tavern and swap stories.

(12-28-2017, 12:23 AM)DM Vitkyng Wrote: OK, rerolling stats so I can reroll 1s.. then drop lowest.

Stat 1 [1d6r2] = 5, [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 3 = 6, 5, 3 == 14
Stat 2 [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 3, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 2 = 6, 3, 2 == 11
Stat 3 [1d6r2] = 5, [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 3 = 5, 6, 3 == 14
Stat 4 [1d6r2] = 3, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 4, [1d6r2] = 5 = 3, 4, 5 == 12
Stat 5 [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 3, [1d6r2] = 4, [1d6r2] = 3 = 2, 3, 4 == 9
Stat 6 [1d6r2] = 5, [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 6, [1d6r2] = 2 = 5, 6, 6 == 17

Would it be allowable to place these stats as 
Str 14, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 11, Chr,9. and ten bump them to meet the prerequisites for Cavalier? "A cavalier must have minimum ability scores of 15 in strength, dexterity,
and constitution, and scores of 10 in intelligence and wisdom."

I did not roll that 7th time so will do that now.. then build the Cavalier as discussed..  will be a 5th level cavelier with the 36,001 xp.. will get a character sheet setup and  a character profile created as well.

Stat 7 [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 3, [1d6r2] = 2, [1d6r2] = 4 = 2, 3, 4 == 9
So no change to the above scores

Str 15, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 11, Chr 9
then the Cavelier class ability modifiers for Srtr, Dex and Con

Quote:A cavalier undergoes continual training and practice in arms and warfare,
such that part of any day not spent adventuring must be spent in
mounted arms drill or combat practice on foot. As a result of this constant
training, the cavalier can increase his or her strength, dexterity,
and constitution scores. When a cavalier is at 1st level, percentile
dice are rolled for each of these abilities, just as they are for fighters
with 18 strength. A Lancer with 15 dexterity might have 15/87 dexterity
upon attaining Armiger status. The percentage has no normal effect
on play, and the ability score is considered to be the main number
(15 in this case). An exception is percentile strength above 18, which
is treated as for fighters on the strength bonuses table.

As a cavalier attains each higher level, 2d10 are rolled and the result
added to the percentile score for strength, dexterity, and constitution.
When a percentile score goes over 100, the main score is raised by 1
and the 100 is discarded. (In the example, if the cavalier with 15/87
dexterity rolls a 19 for this ability upon gaining 2nd level, the character’s
dexterity score is now 16/06, and is treated as a 16.) Ability
scores can be raised as high as 18/00 in this manner, even if doing so
violates limitations based on race or sex. If a cavalier loses a level, the
percentile points gained for that level are lost.
Str Str cavelier modifiier 1st [1d100] = 80, [2d10] = 14, [2d10] = 9, [2d10] = 15, [2d10] = 9 = 15/127 == 16/27
Dex Dex cavelier modifiier 1st [1d100] = 72, [2d10] = 19, [2d10] = 13, [2d10] = 9, [2d10] = 13 = 15/126 == 16/26
Con Con cavelier modifiier 1st [1d100] = 38, [2d10] = 11, [2d10] = 15, [2d10] = 11, [2d10] = 5 == 17/80

End resul stats
Str 16/27
Dex 16/26
Con 17/80
Int 12
Wis 11
Chr 9

Unable to find an online version of the 1st edition D&D character sheet on Mythweavers I downloaded a fillable pdf  excel spreadsheet version - I put it in my Onedrive if people want to download and use it (I will export mine to a pdf when done)

1st edition character sheet - https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjFiKq8nYxnYg8hkHZf9vItCmbcpcw
Going to Go straight Mage. No Specialization, no fluff. 

Stat Rolls Wrote:Stats:4d6r1: 20 [4d6r1=6, 3, 6, 5] = 17
Stats: 4d6r1: 18 [4d6r1=5, 2, 6, 5] = 16
Stats: 4d6r1: 15 [4d6r1=4, 2, 5, 4][-2] = 11
Stats: 4d6r1: 18 [4d6r1=6, 3, 3, 6] = 15
Stats: 4d6r1: 18 [4d6r1=5, 6, 2, 5] = 16
Stats: 4d6r1: 20 [4d6r1=6, 5, 6, 3][+1] = 18
Stats: 4d6r1: 15 [4d6r1=5, 2, 2, 6] = 13

Stat Placement
Str - 11
Dex - 17
Con - 16
Int - 18
Wis - 15
Cha - 16

Hit Point Rolls Wrote:2nd level Hitpoints: 1d4r1+2 = 5
3rd level Hitpoints: 1d4r1+2 = 5
4th level Hitpoints: 1d4r1+2 = 6
5th level Hitpoints: 1d4r1+2 = 4
6th Level Hitpoints: 1d4r1+2 = 4

Spell Knowledge Checks Wrote:Spell Check 85%
1st Level Spells
Alarm Spell Check: 1d100 = 93 - Fail
Burning Hands Spell Check: 1d100 = 17 - Succeed
Cantrip Spell Check: 1d100 = 54 - Succeed
Charm Person Spell Check: 1d100 = 23 - Succeed
Chill Touch Spell Check: 1d100 = 26 - Succeed
Color Spray Spell Check: 1d100 = 17 - Succeed
Comprehend Languages Spell Check: 1d100 = 64 - Succeed
Detect Magic Spell Check: 1d100 = 90 - Fail
Detect Undead Spell Check: 1d100 = 17 - Succeed
Feather Fall Spell Check: 1d100 =  12 - Succeed
Identify Spell Check: 1d100 = 49 - Succeed
Light Spell Check: 1d100 = 74 - Succeed
Magic Missile Spell Check: 1d100 = 5 - Succeed
Read Magic Spell Check: 1d100 = 56 - Succeed
Jump Spell Check: 1d100 = 55 - Succeed
Shield Spell Check: 1d100 = 73 - Succeed
Shocking Grasp Spell Check: 1d100 = 88 - Fail
Sleep Spell Check: 1d100 = 35 - Succeed
Spider Climb Spell Check: 1d100 = 83 - Succeed
Unseen Servant Spell Check: 1d100 = 1 - Succeed

2nd Level Spells
2nd Attempt at Detect Magic Spell Check: 1d100 = 47 - Succeed
2nd Attempt Alarm Spell Check: 1d100 = 24 - Succeed
Detect Evil Spell Check: 1d100 = 14 - Succeed
Continual Light Spell Check: 1d100 = 96 - Fail
Detect Invisibility Spell Check: 1d100 = 77 - Succeed
ESP Spell Check: 1d100 = 68 - Succeed
Invisibility Spell Check: 1d100 = 59 - Succeed
Knock Spell Check: 1d100 = 61 - Succeed
Levitate Spell Check: 1d100 = 86 - Fail
Mirror Image Spell Check: 1d100 = 99 - Fail
Ray of Enfeeblement Spell Check: 1d100 = 32 - Succeed
Wizard Lock Spell Check: 1d100 = 64 - Succeed
Melf's Acid Arrow Spell Check: 1d100 = 61 - Succeed

3rd Level Spells
Dispel Magic Spell Check: 1d100 = 86 - Fail (FUCK! LOL!)
Hold Person Spell Check: 1d100 = 88 - Fail (Seriously! Damn!)
Fireball Spell Check: 1d100 = 3 - Succeed (Thank God!)
Haste Spell Check: 1d100 = 76 - Succeed (I'm sweatin here.)
Hold Undead Spell Check: 1d100 = 64 - Succeed
Lightning Bolt Spell Check: 1d100 = 45 - Succeed
Slow Spell Check: 1d100 = 24 - Succeed
Wind Wall Spell Check: 1d100 = 43 - Succeed
Water Breathing Spell Check: 1d100 = 76 - Succeed
Restarting our magic item list.

List of Magic Items Wrote:Spell Scroll (Cleric: Animate Dead Monsters, Silence, 15' Radius, Commune, Quest) --Aly
Spell Scroll (Cleric: Forbiddance, Dispel Magic, Aerial Servant, Commune, Forbiddance, Control Weather)  --Aly
Spell Scroll (Cleric: Remove Paralysis, Neutralize Poison) --Aly
Spell Scroll (Cleric: Aid)  --Aly
Spell Scroll (Cleric: Abjure, Resist Cold) --Aly

Spell Scroll (Mage: Mordenkainen's Lucubration, Vocalize, Power Word, Blind, Jump, Mass Charm, Repulsion) - Eloric
Spell Scroll (Mage: Sleep, Levitate, Sequester, Wall of Fire, Suggestion) - Eloric
Spell Scroll (Mage: Leomund's Tiny Hut, Haste, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Disintegrate, Extension II, Message) - Eloric
Spell Scroll (Mage: Glassteel, Enchant An Item, Legend Lore, Read Magic) - Eloric
Spell Scroll (Mage: Magic Mirror) - Eloric
Spell Scroll (Mage: Dig, Massmorph, Clairvoyance) - Eloric
Spell Scroll (Mage: Continual Light, Enchanted Weapon, Dolor, Project Image, Guards and Wards) - Eloric
Spell Scroll (Mage: Succor) - Eloric

Scroll of Protection - Magic -- Aly ???

Scroll of Protection - Weapons, Magical Blunt
Scroll of Protection - Lycanthropes - All Lycanthropes - Eloric
Scroll of Protection - Lycanthropes - All Lycanthropes 
Scroll of Protection - Weapons, Non-magic Missile - Sumayl
Scroll of Protection - Weapons, Magical Missile
Scroll of Protection - Possession -Aly??? 
Scroll of Protection - Cold 
Scroll of Protection - Undead - Skeletons - Eloric
Scroll of Protection - Petrification 
Scroll of Protection - Traps
Scroll of Protection - Water

Elixir of Health -- Aly

Philter of Persuasiveness  
Philter of Love 
Philter of Love

Potion of Invisibility 
Potion of Water Breathing -- Aly
Potion of Human Control - Humanoids
Potion of Vitality
Potion of Plant Control
Potion of Rainbow Hues 
Potion of Sweet Water -- Aly
Potion of Levitation- Sumayl
Potion of Delusion > Cursed
Potion of Fire Breath 
Potion of Animal Control - Avian
Potion of Polymorph (Self) 
Potion of Polymorph (Self) -- Aly
Potion of Healing - Eloric
Potion of Speed -- Aly
Potion of Delusion
Potion of Invisibility
Potion of Healing - Eloric
Potion of Undead Control - Zombies
Potion of Fire Resistance - Sumayl

Oil of Disenchantment - Eloric
Oil of Disenchantment
Oil of Disenchantment
Oil of Slipperiness
Oil of Fiery Burning 
Oil of Elemental Invulnerability -- Aly ????

Ring of Regeneration -- Aly
Ring of Protection +1 - Eloric
Ring of Shooting Stars 
Ring of Feather Falling - Sumayl
Ring of Sustenance -- Aly ????
Ring of Jumping 
Ring of Animal Friendship
Ring of Shooting Stars
Ring of Water Walking - Sumayl
Ring of Invisibility 

Wand of Metal and Mineral Detection - Eloric
Wand of Metal and Mineral Detection -- Aly
Wand of Metal and Mineral Detection
Wand of Magic Missiles - Eloric
Wand of Lightning Bolts - Eloric
Wand of Illusion 
Wand of Size Alteration - Eloric

Rod of Cancellation -- Aly

Staff-Mace
Staff of the Serpent > Cleric Only ----- Aly 

Deck of Illusions, Potion of Climbing, Potion of Vitality, Oil of Impact 
Deck of Many Things - Eloric
Manual of Golems - Flesh -----------------Magic Users only! - Eloric
Instrument of the Bards - Ollamh Harp 
Iron Flask -- Aly
Boat, Folding - Eloric
Scarab of Enraging Enemies > Cursed
Scarab of Death > Cursed
Sovereign Glue
Robe of Useful Items (Wizard Only)  [10 100gp Gems, 2 x Dagger, Ladder, 2 x Lantern, 2 x Mirror, Pit, 2 x Pole, 2 x Rope, 2 x Sack, Silver Coffer] - Eloric

Shield +1 - Sumayl
Shield +2 --Aly

Bracers of Defense [AC 5] Eloric

Leather Armor +1
Leather Armor +2 
Studded Leather +1
Splint Mail +2
Elfin Chain Mail +1
Plate Mail +1
Plate Mail +1 -- Aly
Plate Armor, Full +2 - Sumayl

Dart +2, 2-8
Knife +2 
Dagger +1, +2 vs. creatures smaller than man-sized 
Scimitar of Speed +4 - Sumayl
Spear +2
Bolt +2, 2-20
Flail +2 -- Aly
Flail +2  - Sumayl
Spear, Cursed Backbiter
Battle Axe +2
Sword +1, Cursed
Sword +1
Sword +1
Sword +1
Sword +1, +4 vs. reptiles
Sword -2, Cursed
Sword +2, Giant Slayer-- Aly
Sword +2, Short, Quickness
Sword +4 - Sumayl
If I am taking the scimitar of speed +4 that frees up the sword+4 for Aly

I would also like to take
potion of climbing
1 x potion of vitality (there are two)
oil of impact
Potion of Fire Breath
oil of fiery burning

Eloric should take a second ring.. he only has 1..

whoever has the thief (if we get one) should take the ring of invisibility .. it is less than optimal for a full plate wearing fighter lol

if we do not get a rogue I will take the third wand of metal and mineral detection and the sovereign glue and deck of illusions, but only if a fourth character doesn't snatch them up.. too good to leave unclaimed but notovertly fitting to the character
Eloric, glancing at your character I have a couple of questions and comments. 

1. I'm not sure if you know this but we rolled twice for our stats.  So you can roll a second time and take the better of the two sets of rolls even though your rolls are pretty good.
  2. I'm confused about where the +1 and -2 came from in your rolls?  Did MiB state stats could be adjusted this way?  This isn't my game so I can't remember everything he might have said.  I rarely can remember things I'VE said let alone someone else.  Tongue
  3. Starting experience is 35001 but with your high intelligence you get a 10% bonus to xp making it 38,501.  Your sheet says 42,000.
  4. As for cantrips, didn't he say he wanted to make them like Pathfinder?  Where you can use them an unlimited number of times per day?  I've never played 5th edition so I know very little about cantrips.  But aren't the power of cantrips based on your level, unlike earlier editions their power stayed the same?
  5. What was the RP flavor for the ring of Agelessness? 
  6. A Rogue is always nice to have as I can neither confirm or deny that Strahd has traps in his castle.   Tongue
  7. Can you point me to your unique spell.  I'm pretty sure I've seen it but now I don't know where.   Huh
And Sumayl, I'm confused by your stats.  Your sheet says you have a 16 strength then I remembered you said you put your 17 in Con and your next highest roll is 14.  If it is somehow 16, as a fighter you get a 10% experience bonus.
1. Oh, Awesome, I think I'm good on stats though.  They actually turned out pretty decent. 

2. Yea, it was something you guys talked about earlier in the thread.  Subtracting 2 points to add 1 point.  

3. Holy shit! I can math, I swears ta god.  LOL! Man I must have been drunk. I must have somehow doubled the bonus when I was calculating it. That's only a tinsy bit embarrassing. My bad. I'll adjust that. 

4. Couple different ways to do cantrips. But it seems he was doing the ones that can be cast at will.  Some cantrips scale slowly with level.  So 1 damage die every 5 levels up to a certain number. Others are just utility spells like mend and message. There is often a limit to the number you can memorize per day.  Usually around 4 or 5 depending on level and class.  Every magic class usually gets them in some fashion.  I can post the list for every class if you want to do it the way 5th does it? 

5. I was going to use the ring of agelessness kinda like a curse.  Where the ring wont come off, (So he gives up a magical item location) It was the ring his wife gave to him, While he was off learning to control his magical gifts, their village was destroyed by Orcs. She was killed rather horrifically and she cursed him right before she died for not being there.  It was a death curse that said he'd see her death and experience how she died every night of his life, living forever with what he had done and never know peace. So he has nightmares of his wife being murdered and raped by orcs every time he sleeps. The only reprieve he has is if he is intoxicated or high, then he doesn't have the dream. He loved his wife dearly, and though the ring cursed him to never grow old and relive her death each night, he keeps it as a reminder of his failure. So even if he could take it off, he never tried. Sometimes she even taunts him in the dream. "If it's too much... you could just kill yourself."  Sometimes he actually considers it. 

6. Oh yea.  I'll do up a Halfling rogue so even if we get another player who wants to play one... he can just be an extra blade.  Like you said earlier in the thread, we will likely need the extra firepower. 

7. I pulled it out of my head.  It could be close to an actual cannon one.  But I just put it up there as a possible answer to cantrips.  Unless you just want to do cantrips, then that works too. Then I could adjust it to be an actual 1st level spell that he might create one day.
(06-03-2020, 01:36 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: Eloric, glancing at your character I have a couple of questions and comments. 

1. I'm not sure if you know this but we rolled twice for our stats.  So you can roll a second time and take the better of the two sets of rolls even though your rolls are pretty good.
  2. I'm confused about where the +1 and -2 came from in your rolls?  Did MiB state stats could be adjusted this way?  This isn't my game so I can't remember everything he might have said.  I rarely can remember things I'VE said let alone someone else.  Tongue
  3. Starting experience is 35001 but with your high intelligence you get a 10% bonus to xp making it 38,501.  Your sheet says 42,000.
  4. As for cantrips, didn't he say he wanted to make them like Pathfinder?  Where you can use them an unlimited number of times per day?  I've never played 5th edition so I know very little about cantrips.  But aren't the power of cantrips based on your level, unlike earlier editions their power stayed the same?
  5. What was the RP flavor for the ring of Agelessness? 
  6. A Rogue is always nice to have as I can neither confirm or deny that Strahd has traps in his castle.   Tongue
  7. Can you point me to your unique spell.  I'm pretty sure I've seen it but now I don't know where.   Huh
And Sumayl, I'm confused by your stats.  Your sheet says you have a 16 strength then I remembered you said you put your 17 in Con and your next highest roll is 14.  If it is somehow 16, as a fighter you get a 10% experience bonus.

My sheet says I have a 14 strength... my signature however is still showing the 1st edition statblock. I will fix that sorry.

My sheet is posted  in the Character thread Here  - http://forums.rpgaddicts.com/showthread....4#pid32014

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon