RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Character Creation/ Applications
(02-07-2018, 12:59 PM)Man in Black Wrote:   The Dragon bard can be elven and human, but that's it.

Did I find the wrong bard class?  I'm looking at an article called, Singing a New Tune, in Issue #56, page 5.  Is there another one?  I think they reprinted the Dragon Magazine Bard in one of the Best of... series but I haven't found it yet.  The article I'm looking at says Bards may be Human, Elven or Half-Elven and have unlimited advancement.  A Halfling or Dwarf may be a bard and attain up to 5th level.  But 5th level shouldn't matter since you said we are ignoring level limitations.
Quote this message in a reply
GM Marvel, you summed it up nicely.  If I had much more xp to spend, I would spend more time in fighter.  If this were the tabletop I'd be inclined to go for it, but since I want to be able to call myself bard before my funeral, five levels will have to do.   Wink   I like the dragon build better for it's improving THAC0 and added spell power.  The lack of weapon variety does leave me less than enthused, though.  I believe I'll also be giving up access to elfin chain and bows, though bracers could make up for that since it frees the cleavage to increase my tips in the taverns.   giggity

@Sumayl, I did put in for the scimitar to make up for my lack of extra attacks.  How about we arm wrestle for it?  Just remember, I won't be wearing armor.
(02-07-2018, 04:33 PM)Tinarawen Wrote: GM Marvel, you summed it up nicely.  If I had much more xp to spend, I would spend more time in fighter.  If this were the tabletop I'd be inclined to go for it, but since I want to be able to call myself bard before my funeral, five levels will have to do.   Wink   I like the dragon build better for it's improving THAC0 and added spell power.  The lack of weapon variety does leave me less than enthused, though.  I believe I'll also be giving up access to elfin chain and bows, though bracers could make up for that since it frees the cleavage to increase my tips in the taverns.   giggity

@Sumayl, I did put in for the scimitar to make up for my lack of extra attacks.  How about we arm wrestle for it?  Just remember, I won't be wearing armor.

the reason i went for the scimitar was t5hat my characters was built with scimitar as his primary weapon from the start.   right back to the original version of the character. Not because of the extra attacks.  I can give itup for a longsword if it will  put noses out of joint.

My character concept was a moorish cavalier rather t5han the standard christian-european one obviously was the reason for scimitar.  
I will swap for the longsword +2, Giant slayer

The hit points are bang on 50% but my ac mightmake me the tank of the party.
(02-07-2018, 07:56 PM)Sumayl al-Akhir Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 04:33 PM)Tinarawen Wrote: GM Marvel, you summed it up nicely.  If I had much more xp to spend, I would spend more time in fighter.  If this were the tabletop I'd be inclined to go for it, but since I want to be able to call myself bard before my funeral, five levels will have to do.   Wink   I like the dragon build better for it's improving THAC0 and added spell power.  The lack of weapon variety does leave me less than enthused, though.  I believe I'll also be giving up access to elfin chain and bows, though bracers could make up for that since it frees the cleavage to increase my tips in the taverns.   giggity

the reason i went for the scimitar was that my characters was built with scimitar as his primary weapon from the start.   right back to the original version of the character. Not because of the extra attacks.  I can give itup for a longsword if it will  put noses out of joint.

My character concept was a moorish cavalier rather t5han the standard christian-european one obviously was the reason for scimitar.  

Doesn't the Cavilier only have 1 attack right now?  I can't remember at what level he gets 3/2 and I don't have access to my books at the moment.  

I also interpreted "sword" as meaning, any type of sword.  But I could be completely wrong.  MiB??   It's why there aren't any broadswords or twohanded swords mentioned.  The few specific swords that do appear, such as Scimitar of Speed, are only specified because that's what they were named in the DMG and I believe it is because Gary Gygax felt those enchantments fit most thematically with that type of sword.   

If MiB agrees that "sword" means any type then you could make the Giant Slayer into a Scimitar.

I also want to mention that I planned to use a Longsword too.
(02-07-2018, 09:37 PM)GM Marvel Wrote:

the reason i went for the scimitar was that my characters was built with scimitar as his primary weapon from the start.   right back to the original version of the character. Not because of the extra attacks.  I can give itup for a longsword if it will  put noses out of joint.

Doesn't the Cavilier only have 1 attack right now?  I can't remember at what level he gets 3/2 and I don't have access to my books at the moment.  

I also interpreted "sword" as meaning, any type of sword.  But I could be completely wrong.  MiB??   It's why there aren't any broadswords or twohanded swords mentioned.  The few specific swords that do appear, such as Scimitar of Speed, are only specified because that's what they were named in the DMG and I believe it is because Gary Gygax felt those enchantments fit most thematically with that type of sword.   

If MiB agrees that "sword" means any type then you could make the Giant Slayer into a Scimitar.

Due to cavalier class abilities my att per round are 3/2 rather than 1.. scimitar of speed would make em 2 per round.. if the sword+2 giant slayer is allowed to be a scimitar I will do that.. fits better thematically for my character.. 

MiB does sword mean I can make it a scimitar?
(02-07-2018, 09:37 PM)GM Marvel Wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions Marvel.  I thought the Scimitar +4 would go to the Cavalier naturally but if a sword could be any sword then I support whatever sword would be best in the hands of the tank/fighter.  I also think it wise to give our Cavalier the ring of water walking and ring of feather falling since he wears the heaviest armor.

I guess I should change my weapon proficiency to short sword, being a rogue/wizard.

If we don't have any other Magic users then I'll take all the wands including the wand of lightning, Illusion, Size Alteration, and Mineral Detection as it only makes sense.

Concerning the Decks of...  I'll take both if possible because I'm a gambling man and how funny would it be if my character died on the first card pulled! Smile

Dividing the Polymorph potions is smart so I'll take one as well.

My armor will be the Leather Armor +2 leaving the bracers to whoever wants those.

2 weapons will be the Sword +2, Short, Quickness and  Knife + 1

Misc. Items include
Ring of Invisibility
Ring of Shooting Stars/ Ring of Protection +1, it's a toss up for me

All Magic User Scrolls (haven't figured the weight)

Boat, Folding if no one else will carry it

If only there was a bag of holding!!!  Big Grin
Man, reading through all the treasure makes me nostalgic for the old days of cursed treasure. I purposely left off any cursed items to start since that would be way messed up. The last time I remember using cursed items was in a DnD 3.5/modern D20 game I was running. A group of adventurers chased an Erinyes through a portal and into modern day. The dwarf character had previously found a cursed shirt I got from a GURPS book. It made him a transvestite. So an uncouth, surly dwarf who just happened to love frilly dresses. The player really went with it.

So, technically a scimitar is a miscellaneous weapon, not a sword, but to hell with it. You want to take a lesser weapon for flavor, who am I to stop you? When you see 'sword' there is a percentage chance listed for it to be some type of sword. For our purposes, it's the sword you need.

Quickness is an odd rule that I need to sort out. You get first strike, but is that negated by surprise? My gut says yes.

In the continued spirit of 'why the hell not' I hear someone wants their flail to be a horseman's. Sure, if you want a worse flail. The footmen's is the way to go as far as damage and bonuses against armored foes.

Marvel, you are absolutely right about the bard. I stopped reading after 'unlimited advancement.' See, I can admit when I'm wrong. Oh, and your character is now cursed for making the DM look bad. Wink
I chose the Sword +4 because: 1:  I assumed the Cavilier would want one of the Scimitar of Speed, and 2: I'm kind of the second tank.  Since Tina has joined and shown interest in the Scimitar I can give the Sword +4 to him so he can use it as a +4 Scimitar.  But since I'm the second warrior in the group I'd like to replace it with the +2 Giant Slayer since it's probably the next best sword after the Scimitar of Speed +4, Sword +4, and the Short Sword of quickness +2, which it seems all will have been taken.

@MiB CURSED?  Sad  I guess no good deed really does go unpunished.   Tongue
Well then. I'll happily take that scimitar of speed and the bracers. I'll take the harp even though I can't use it for another 14 levels or so. I'm going with the Dragon bard, so no elfin chain for me. You can also put me down for the wand of illusions and the deck of illusions.
(02-08-2018, 11:49 AM)Man in Black Wrote: In the continued spirit of 'why the hell not' I hear someone wants their flail to be a horseman's.  Sure, if you want a worse flail.  The footmen's is the way to go as far as damage and bonuses against armored foes.  

Not in the hands of a cavalier..  extra attacks per round and +1 to hit skew the stats

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon