RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AD&D I6 Ravenloft
So who is up for some old school AD&D and the original Ravenloft module?  I'm looking for a group of 6-8 players.  This is an adventure that requires a bit of thought and leaves much room for roleplay.  If you've never played before, worry not.  Your part is easy-peasy.  My part is knowing all the mechanics.  Roll stats, pick race and class, choose some weapon proficiencies and spells, and start playing.
Quote this message in a reply
Which AD&D edition, I'm game no matter what, just there are some huge difference between 1st, 2nd, 2nd with the class handbooiks, 2nd with skills & powers/combat & tactics, et cetera
The original. I use material from Unearthed Arcana, too. I also include the bard class from Dragon magazine if anyone is familiar with that.
Ravenloftas first edition ratherthan 2nd. Interesting.. I'm game... I will gave to think what I want to play..
So just to be clear, even though the Ravenloft Setting was introduced in 2e, you want to use the 1e rules where the ORIGINAL Ravenloft adventure was first published?  If so that would mean depending upon the number of players, we would start between 5th and 7th level?

They introduced the Barbarian, Cavalier and Hierophant in the UA, didn't they?

I long time ago I had a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist named, Ribley Glitterstone that I was particularly fond of.  One day while Ribley was floating on a magic carpet over a chasm he peeked through a tiny hole in a drawbridge and was turned to stone by a Medusa he couldn't even see!  The statue of Ribley fell some 100 or so feet and shattered at the bottom of the chasm.  

No I haven't forgotten Vitkyng, you bastard!   Angry Tongue   

I can't remember the reason why but Khelben Blackstaff felt some guilt for Ribley's death so he wished him back to life, so he was able to live on to fight again another day.  

My point is, it would be cool to play that character again in 1st edition but taking in consideration all the undead that lurk in Ravenloft, I don't think an Illusionist would be the best choice.

A Fighter/Magic User/Thief or a Fighter/ Magic User/Cleric could be cool too.  Even though they would never gain a level the character would still have a wide variety of abilities.
(11-07-2017, 09:15 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: So just to be clear, even though the Ravenloft Setting was introduced in 2e, you want to use the 1e rules where the ORIGINAL Ravenloft adventure was first published?  If so that would mean depending upon the number of players, we would start between 5th and 7th level?

They introduced the Barbarian, Cavalier and Hierophant in the UA, didn't they?

I long time ago I had a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist named, Ribley Glitterstone that I was particularly fond of.  One day while Ribley was floating on a magic carpet over a chasm he peeked through a tiny hole in a drawbridge and was turned to stone by a Medusa he couldn't even see!  The statue of Ribley fell some 100 or so feet and shattered at the bottom of the chasm.  

No I haven't forgotten Vitkyng, you bastard!   Angry Tongue   

I can't remember the reason why but Khelben Blackstaff felt some guilt for Ribley's death so he wished him back to life, so he was able to live on to fight again another day.  

My point is, it would be cool to play that character again in 1st edition but taking in consideration all the undead that lurk in Ravenloft, I don't think an Illusionist would be the best choice.

A Fighter/Magic User/Thief or a Fighter/ Magic User/Cleric could be cool too.  Even though they would never gain a level the character would still have a wide variety of abilities.
LOL You did see her, at the same instant that you looked into her eyes on the other side of the peephole. Bad time to fail a petrification save.  Honestly hought you'd make it too as it was modified for just being a peephole. 

Ribley was a fun character to DM to, but he'd be a bAAAD idea in Ravenloft... even worse in the Ravenloft game we used to lplay in, I think you had Sjaemus in Ravenloft with that DM.
(11-08-2017, 12:38 AM)DM Vitkyng Wrote: LOL You did see her, at the same instant that you looked into her eyes on the other side of the peephole. Bad time to fail a petrification save.  Honestly hought you'd make it too as it was modified for just being a peephole. 

Ribley was a fun character to DM to, but he'd be a bAAAD idea in Ravenloft... even worse in the Ravenloft game we used to lplay in, I think you had Sjaemus in Ravenloft with that DM.

A little bit of revisionist history.  I remember asking many times what I see because I had a CP (character point from the Skills & Powers) to use so I could reroll the roll but I needed to declare I was using it before I rolled.  So I asked repeatedly, "What do I see!" and the response was always, "It's too dark so you can't see but make a save throw."  Then Ribley was turned into a Lawn Gnome.   Angry

But I digressed.   Tongue

MiB I didn't mean to hijack your thread with some reminiscing.  I would be up to playing a character in this game.  I DMed it a long time ago but it has been about 30 years so I don't remember much of anything about the Module.
Actually, the original Ravenloft module was a 1st ed. module. That's what I'm running.

I remember the cavalier and barbarian, but not hierophant. Always loved the cavalier.

Yeah, it's fun having those memories and being able to bring 'em back. I think the first AD&D I ran with my son playing, a tree fell on him. It was a haunted garden in a defiled temple. Now he's always watching out for trees. Anytime he irritates me, I tell him a tree falls on his character.

Now if only we can find four more players....
So what level would the characters start.. 1st level? Or start at 5th ready to dive straight into the Ravenloft adventure
I plan on starting around level 5, but it really depends on how many players sign up for this. Six will get enough experience to equal a 5th level fighter. (Each) Fewer will up that total. More will lessen it. Multi-class characters would split that xp amongst their classes. I usually ignore racial level limits. An elf doesn't have that great of a bonus to make him have to stop levelling at 5th (or whatever it is) so a human fighter can compete.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon