RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

Poll: What're You Looking to Play?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pathfinder
50.00%
1 50.00%
D&D 5th Edition
0%
0 0%
Star Wars
0%
0 0%
Superheroes
0%
0 0%
Cyberpunk
50.00%
1 50.00%
Shadow of the Demon Lord
0%
0 0%
Ryuutama
0%
0 0%
Something Else
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for a Game? Vote Here!
Lightbulb 
Greetings and salutations, Addictites (Addictees? Addicti?)! My name is BitterWaffle, and I'm looking to contribute something here to the site. What am I running? That's an excellent question -- one, I hope, the community can answer.

This topic serves a dual purpose: finding a general consensus outside of the somewhat dated "LFG" thread for those currently perusing games, as well as an opportunity to drum up interest in said game, whatever it might be. You'll note there's quite a few systems up there, most of which I'm familiar with, but there are a few I've never run nor played personally but would love to give a whirl. I'll leave this up for a bit, let folks filter through it and make their choices. After I feel there's been a suitable amount of interest (or a clear-cut winner, or just general lack of interest), I'll go ahead and close the thread down and start putting together the framework and put a game up.

That being said, here's a brief primer on the poll. Don't forget to leave some feedback on specifics, if you're looking for something a little more niche' or are looking for something not listed here! I'm totally open to ideas!

Pathfinder: This seems to be the most often requested title, and rightly so given its overall popularity. I'm familiar enough with Pathfinder as a player and having GM'd plenty of 3.5 that I know I can put together something -- all I need is the players and their willingness and ambition to do amazing things. I've got the majority of the ever-popular Adventure Paths, if there's any interest in those, but could easily put together something from the ground up.

D&D 5th Edition: Hot on its heels according to the LFG thread, this is the second most requested game system. I'm unfamiliar with 5th Edition, truth be told, but I've had the core books for a bit and have read through them at least twice. I'd be willing to try if you are, and absolutely love the vaguely 2nd Edition-esque style it's going for. Again, willing to put in the work if there's suitable interest.

Superheroes (Masks: A New Generation, The Window 2e): There's a lot of love for the superheroic genre, and it's understandable why -- superheroes are awesome! A big fan of comics myself, I'd totally be down to run some over-the-top heroic action! Alas, I'm not comfortable enough using things like Mutants & Masterminds and the like, but that doesn't mean I'm out of options. With the simple and flexible system of The Window -- which is free and totally worth checking out! -- it's definitely doable. On the other hand, if you're looking to run teen heroes (Young Justice, Teen Titans, et cetera), I'd also love to finally use Masks: A New Generation -- a system for teen heroes using the Powered by the Apocalypse engine.

Cyberpunk (Cyberpunk 2020, The Sprawl, Wired Neon Cities, Pink Mohawk): From Appleseed to Neuromancer, there's something poignant about the dark near-future and the people who live in it. Whether the players are members of the dreaded PsychoSquad bringing in renegade cyborgs or the grimy, seedy souls who populate the cracks of society that the megacorps haven't yet staked, there're a million stories to be told about the neon-bathed streets. Plenty of options on the table for running something there. The Sprawl would be where I'd like to start, which is another system using the Powered by the Apocalypse engine. It's still very similar in how Cyberpunk 2020 approaches "Specialties" and the like, and I find it's much more efficiently streamlined. On the other hand, Cyberpunk 2020 is definitely still in there as one of the best systems for cyberpunk on the market (it's in the name, man!). I've never run Cyberpunk 2020, but I'd be willing to try. If there's still significant interest in a Cyberpunk game but lack of resources is holding you back, there's also Wired Neon Cities, a pay-what-you-want minimalist Cyberpunk system, which while on the lighter side of mechanics is still pretty neat and easily accessible for newcomers and veterans alike, as well as Pink Mohawk, a Shadowrun-to-Risus conversion if you favor something more Shadowrunner-y as opposed to Ghost in the Shell-y Wink

Star Wars (WEG Star Wars 2e, Star Wars SAGA Edition, Fantasy Flight, MiniSix): There seems to be a demand for Star Wars! Can't blame you guys, Star Wars is frickin' amazing. I've long had the idea of running a game from the Imperial perspective, but I'd really be open to anything if there's enough interest. Of these systems, I've never actually run a game using any of them, but I've played the 2nd Edition of WEG's Star Wars game, and have both the trilogy of Fantasy Flight core books and the SAGA Edition hardback floating around. If there's substantial interest in playing but a lack of resources, MiniSix -- currently free, snag it while you can! -- is based on the OpenD6 System that WEG uses, albeit much more simplified. Very flexible, easy to learn, quick to get your Star Wars fix Big Grin

Ryuutama: This is a weird fish, but one of those games that have been on my radar for a while. Ryuutama is, in essence, "Studio Ghibli meets Final Fantasy," and was originally a Japanese exclusive roleplaying game. It centers on a band of characters on their Journey -- a rite of passage in the world of Ryuutama -- to see the world , guided from behind the scenes by the Seasonal Dragons and their keepers, the Ryuujin. Fifty percent coming of age story, fifty percent dramatic action rpg, one-hundred percent charming; I'd be willing to run this if I can drum up enough interest. We can hash out mechanics and the like if resources are scarce, but it's definitely a neat little product worth checking out.

Shadow of the Demon Lord: Woo, buddy. This is a Dark Fantasy RPG with a streamlined d20 core that meets snugly between Pathfinder's complexity, D&D5e's brevity, and Rolemaster's visceral tendencies. This isn't a game about Big Damn Heroes, but flawed and darker heroes trying to make it to the next day, doing the best they can in a world that's beyond saving. Dismemberment and death lies around every corner in a world where evil has essentially already won, and despite how simple and straightforward the system is, there's a lot to master with plenty of character options that are both easily grasped and extremely plentiful in diversity. I love everything about SotDL, but it's equally hard to find people to play it. Still, if there's a will, there's a way, and if you've never heard of this system, you should totes look it up. I'm down to run something grim-and-gritty if folks want it, but I'd maybe recommend building two characters just in-case Wink

Something Else: Are you looking for something more niche? Something not mentioned here, but you're dying to play it? Tell me, and we might be able to make something happen if we can get some more support.
Quote this message in a reply

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon