RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Character Creation and Discussion
Hi Garlen, Nice image selected too!

Like Noctum_Carpe, I'm a longtime SWD6 player -- to amp up the TEC, I'd suggest putting it in the neighborhood of 3D. Generally speaking Human "average" is about 2D and human "peak" is 4D.

For reference, Han ("Smuggler" template type) and Luke ("Brash Pilot" type) have TEC attributes of 2D+2 and 3D respectively, while Chewie ("Wookiee First Mate" template type) has 3D+1.
The Merc template is pretty close already, but if you also wanted more driving/gunnery type MEC skills, maybe bump up the MEC by trading a +1 from wherever you feel like you can afford the loss, to bring MEC up to at least 3D.

For reference, General Veers ("Imperial Army Officer" template type), in command of the AT-ATs on Hoth, had his attribute breakdown as DEX 2D, KNO 3D+1, MEC 3D+2, PER 3D, STR 3D, TEC 3D, but it sounds you also want better combat skills outside of your vehicle, so you could even out the #'s between DEX and KNO scores.
Let me see if I can simplify this.  Dexterity, Knowledge, Perception, Strength, Technical, and Mechanical are all your stats.  These never change in the game.  Each stat is expressed in d6 with values between 1d6 and 4d6.  You'll see that as either 2 or 2d.  That is the dice you throw to resolve actions.  Higher is better.  Each stat has a list of skills connected to it.  Every skill starts out equal to the controlling stat.  When you create a character, all you are doing is adding more dice to skills.  Everyone gets 7d starting out.  

Let's go with the Ground Assult Vehicle template I dredged up.  You'll notice some plusses hanging around.  Well, each die can be split in three.  Let's start out with solid dice.  You want to shoot better and not get shot better, let's add 1d to each.  Heavy weapons would include mounted weaponry.  You might want to add another 1d to that.  So we have used 3 of your alloted 7.  Those +2 look like easy targets.  We'll split up that 4th d into three and add them on top.  Now we have 3d left.  We'll add 1 to walker operation and 2 to starship gunnery to make you an effective TIE killer.  That's it.  Put in some background and you're ready to roll.  It doesn't look like much, but you're still able to use all those listed skills at base attribute level.

Dexterity 2D+2
   Blaster (+1d) 3d+2 (+1) 4d
   Brawling parry
   Dodge (+1d) 3d+2 (+1) 4d
   Grenade
   Heavy Weapons (+1d) 3d+2 (+1) 4d

Melee Parry
   Melee

Perception 3D

Bargain
   Command
   Con
   Gambling
   Hide/Sneak
   Search

Knowledge 3D+2
   Alien Races
   Bureaucracy
   Cultures

Languages
   Planetary Systems

Streetwise
   Survival
   Tactics
   Technology

Strength 2D+2
   Brawling
   Climbing/jumping
   Lifting
   Stamina
   Swimming

Mechanical 4D
   Astrogation
   Beast Riding
   Repulsorlift operation
   Walker operation (+1d) 5d
   Starship Gunnery (+2d) 6d
   Starship Piloting
   Starship Shields

Technical 2D
   Armor repair
   Blaster repair
   Computer programming/repair
   Demolitions
   Droid programming/repair
   Medicine
   Security
   Starship repair

Repulsorlift repair
   Walker repair
(05-20-2017, 02:10 AM)MK-L1G "Long Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 02:27 PM)Telsij Wrote: Re: splitting starship duties, will the former Imperial trooper or anyone else also will be mechanically inclined?

I still want to claim the Merc template with a background of ex-Imperial trooper;and spend my extra points (dice) on I guess Mech and Tech?  To make him a land assault vehicvle driver (he drives tanks, at-art,s, at-st's etc).So he'd be a decent mech and pilot. I still am quite clueless about how character generation works. To be honest I will not have time to do any reading of the 1st edition rulebook until Monday (I work a 12 hour day tomorrow, and run aPathfinder game at a local store on Sunday. So yes i wnt him mechanically inclined (more mechanic than pilot. He'll make a good co-pilot/gunner on a spaceship, but be good with keeping vehicles combat ready, at least that's the role I want)

Okay i thought he was to be a pilot my bad.

Then lets try again then shall we
Repair tings is Tech attribute, driving things is mech so. Since he was in a vehcile witha a primary repair roll maby lower his Dex and and str as suggested, making him a little more like a wookei first mate template, more balanced but still combat capable.

DEX 3D
KNOW 3D
MECH 3D+1
Perc  2D
STR 3D
Tech 3D+2
Skills
Heavy weapons 4D, Walker op 4D, repulsorlift op 4D walker repair 4D, repulsorlift rep 4D dodge 4D, Blaster 4D + another 2D to others skills or to incease the skills he already has .
Suggestions
+1D to walker and repulsorlift repair
or
+1D to starship gunnery and byrocracy (got to fill out those forms before reparing)

This would be a resonably balanced template if you wanna go all out mech and tech mabye this is the way to go but then he is not much of a fighter outside of a vehcile
DEx 2D+1
Know 3D+1
Mech 3D+2
Perc 2D+1
Str 2D+1
Tech 4D
(05-20-2017, 03:04 AM)Garlen Veir Wrote: I have my account set up andready to go, as you can see. Just need to figure out the game mechanics to match the character concept.

Rules 1:ed
http://www.starwarstimeline.net/WestEndG...G40001.pdf

Hope it helps
Cheers
(05-19-2017, 07:27 PM)Telsij Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 06:46 PM)noctum_carpe Wrote: Your bodyguard he is....save you will he. Rewrote my background a little to get Nova into it.

Nice! I've added Rahullu as a character connection for me as well. I like the detail
that Rahullu was reported dead in a "mining accident in the Kessel system."

Does nova have a last name? Would like to add a note to the ISB file since they were killed at the same time.
(05-20-2017, 08:09 AM)noctum_carpe Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 02:10 AM)MK-L1G "Long Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 02:27 PM)Telsij Wrote: Re: splitting starship duties, will the former Imperial trooper or anyone else also will be mechanically inclined?

I still want to claim the Merc template with a background of ex-Imperial trooper;and spend my extra points (dice) on I guess Mech and Tech?  To make him a land assault vehicvle driver (he drives tanks, at-art,s, at-st's etc).So he'd be a decent mech and pilot. I still am quite clueless about how character generation works. To be honest I will not have time to do any reading of the 1st edition rulebook until Monday (I work a 12 hour day tomorrow, and run aPathfinder game at a local store on Sunday. So yes i wnt him mechanically inclined (more mechanic than pilot. He'll make a good co-pilot/gunner on a spaceship, but be good with keeping vehicles combat ready, at least that's the role I want)

Okay i thought he was to be a pilot my bad.

Repair tings is Tech attribute, driving things is mech so. Since he was in a vehcile witha a primary repair roll maby lower his Dex and and str as suggested, making him a little more like a wookei first mate template, more balanced but still combat capable.

DEX 3D
KNOW 3D
MECH 3D+1
Perc  2D
STR 3D
Tech 3D+2
Skills
Heavy weapons 4D, Walker op 4D, repulsorlift op 4D walker repair 4D, repulsorlift rep 4D dodge 4D, Blaster 4D + another 2D to others skills or to incease the skills he already has .
Suggestions
or
+1D to starship gunnery and byrocracy (got to fill out those forms before reparing)

This would be a resonably balanced template
Holy cow!!! Thanks! This is perfect.. I will do a little reading on Sunday and Mon day and pick the remaining skills and flesh out the background. is theer a character sheet available for d6 star wars on myth-weavers, or can I download one somewhere.
(05-20-2017, 08:36 AM)noctum_carpe Wrote: Does nova have a last name? Would like to add a note to the ISB file since they were killed at the same time.

Nova is her last name! Verité is her first name, though she goes by Nova. (Updated my character sheet to refect this.)
(05-20-2017, 03:12 PM)Garlen Vei Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 08:09 AM)noctum_carpe Wrote: Okay i thought he was to be a pilot my bad.

Repair tings is Tech attribute, driving things is mech so. Since he was in a vehcile witha a primary repair roll maby lower his Dex and and str as suggested, making him a little more like a wookei first mate template,  more balanced but still combat capable.

DEX 3D
KNOW 3D
MECH 3D+1
Perc  2D
STR 3D
Tech 3D+2
Skills
Suggestions
or

Holy cow!!! Thanks!  This is perfect.. I will do a little reading on Sunday and Mon day and pick the remaining skills and flesh out the background.  is theer a character sheet available for d6 star wars on myth-weavers, or can I download one somewhere.

Noctum's revision is pretty spot on! My only minor suggestion would be not too worry about adding to bureaucracy since the default 3D in your KNO is already not bad. 

And Man in Black has a good explanation of the rules overall and the character generation in his post. One of the best things about D6 is that it's so fast and streamlined and you can build your character how you want w/o worrying about levels or the randomness of rolls. In hindsight, my post before his made it seem too complex. (The Ground Assault Vehicle template would have been a good fit had you wanted a purely combat focused character instead.)
(05-21-2017, 12:53 AM)Nova Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 03:12 PM)Garlen Vei Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 08:09 AM)noctum_carpe Wrote: Okay i thought he was to be a pilot my bad.

Repair tings is Tech attribute, driving things is mech so. Since he was in a vehcile witha a primary repair roll maby lower his Dex and and str as suggested, making him a little more like a wookei first mate template,  more balanced but still combat capable.

DEX 3D
KNOW 3D
MECH 3D+1
Perc  2D
STR 3D
Tech 3D+2
Skills
Suggestions
or

Holy cow!!! Thanks!  This is perfect.. I will do a little reading on Sunday and Mon day and pick the remaining skills and flesh out the background.  is theer a character sheet available for d6 star wars on myth-weavers, or can I download one somewhere.

Noctum's revision is pretty spot on! My only minor suggestion would be not too worry about adding to bureaucracy since the default 3D in your KNO is already not bad. 

And Man in Black has a good explanation of the rules overall and the character generation in his post. One of the best things about D6 is that it's so fast and streamlined and you can build your character how you want w/o worrying about levels or the randomness of rolls. In hindsight, my post before his made it seem too complex. (The Ground Assault Vehicle template would have been a good fit had you wanted a purely combat focused character instead.)
I prefer the more well rounded characters. AS GM Marvel, I've been playing with him off and on, both IRL and online, for almost 25 years now. in that time I don't think he will have ever seen me play just a straight 'fighter' type character.
Okay so Here is what I am thinking Telsij, I was on that prisoner transport too.

I am going with the Alien Student of the Force Template, Going to alter it some with Ads & Dis ads if MiB allows them . Now to really scare you, The character wants to be the ships Mechanic.

Basic Thought on ads & Disads Fanatic (Her Force Order), Manic Depressive (From Being separated from her Order), Medical Problem (Quesh Toxin Poisoning or Early Stage Rhakghoul Plague ect MiB I could use help with the exact illness, Perhaps Withdrawl symptoms from being a former addict?), Migrane Headaches (Side effect of Medical Problem meds) Wanted For a Crime (Light SIde Force User) Released Convict (Caught trying to Free some Slaves, Jailed for "Theft") Extraordinary Memory (Has near Photographic Memory), Quick Draw (Light Saber), Sixth Sense (Passive Force use)

So Let me know Smile

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon