RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

5. The Copper Coin:
The consternation is evident on the dwarf's face as he watches Eva quietly walk across the room and politely sit at the bar. He leans over at a very "discrete" 45 degree angle to try to listen to the conversation (nearly falling off the bench).

Perception to overhear conversation: 1d20+4 14

Most of the conversation is drowned out by the rest of the noise in the bar, further aggravating the dwarf. Though he does hear the human woman say "Nice to meet you." 

By Gorum! I'm surrounded by the League! I'll kill them all... No, that can't be. They'd have already tried to put me back in chains. This makes no sense.

He sits back up, staring no longer at Eva but his axe which is leaning against the side of the table...and tries to figure out what to do.
Quote this message in a reply
Seeing the dwarf eyeballing his axe like he is contemplating using it Reawyn decides maybe he needs to act, otherwise there may be bloodshed in the middle of the tavern.   Picking up his bowl of stew and mug of ale he gets up and walks over to the dwarf's table, deliberately stepping between thwe dwarf and the women at the bar.

What in gods are you thinking Reawyn, this dwarf could kill you.

Reawyn swallows nervously.

"Umm.. mind if I join you? You look like you may have an interesting tale or two."

Without waiting for an answer, he slides into a seat across the table from the dwarf, setting his bowl and mug down on the table.
At first, the scarred dwarf is incredibly startled, nearly jumping out of his skin when Reawyn sits across the table. He quickly switches to an expression that conveys wariness and suspicion. This is it. They're going to come for me. Okay. Let them know you're not afraid. 

"Tales? Yes. Great tale for you." He raises his gravelly voice such that it's not quite a yell but can be heard over the background noise. "Ursk escaped slave. Ursk kill League masters. Ursk smash League robots. Ursk hear torch in Torch not...being...torchy. Ursk think League do something or come fix. Not sure. Don't matter. Ursk kill them. Ursk mention he escaped slave?"

He leans back slightly, the fingers of his right hand drumming on the table top, about a foot from his axe. "Good tale, yes? So... you League?"

OOC: I know it's usually up to GMs to define NPC reactions, but I imagine it's safe to assume an awkward silence has fallen but for the rap of Ursk's finger tips on the table
Reawyn winces when Ursk all but shouts his 'tale'.  Not sure how to react he dips his spoon into his stew then deliberately scoops some into his mouth. After a long moment he swallows. Then waves the spoon around the tavern common room at the other patrons.

"I am not sure about anyone else here, since I am new in town myself, but I am not in the League. Though challenging them openly wherever you go is probably not the wisest course of action. This is, afterall, their demesne. I am here to learn what has happened to the torch as well, I've heard that there have been some new caverns discovered that may hold secrets yet undiscovered. If I were in the Technic League I would want those hidden, not be looking top explore them."

He probably didn't understand a word of that.

Reawyn sighs and carefully places his spoon back into the bowl, keeping his hands open and on the table-top so as not to make the tense dwarf even tenser.

"I am not your enemy. I could be your friend if you want one. That is if you promise not to use that axe on me. You seem pretty tough. I could use someone tough at my side if I am goinfg to explore those caverns."

At the very least you know he will be honest. he doesn'tseem to be even capable of hiding his intentions.
"Pleased to meet you Weyna." Eva responds trying to keep her mind off of the posturing Dwarf. "I - I was raised in a small cottage a few days from here. This is my first time in Torch, though I've heard quite a lot about it. How about you, is this your first time here as well?" She asks.
Weyna's eyes trail to watch the dwarf loudly tell his story. She looks both sad and concerned for a moment, before shoving the feeling away and focusing back on Eva. "No. I have been here many times, though never for long. My family, we do not stay... But we revisit. That is why I am here. Because I know my family will come back, and I can rejoin them. Or, I will find something else to do..." She glances at the door momentarily. "I have a friend in Torch. I have not seen her in a long time."
Eva's eyes widen a bit at Weyna's words. "I understand. Someone close to me has been missing for some time but I've not had any success in finding him this past year. I hope you find your family." She says sincerely.

Taking a moment to collect herself she continues. "I came to Torch for research and exploration, I think there is something here that remains untouched after all these years. If you're interested  in that sort of thing, I would appreciate the aid." Eva asks.
Ursk considers Reawyn's advice on the volume at which the tale was told, and decides he has a point. His lips purse slightly as he listens to the human, deliberating as to whether the man truly is not part of the League. When he mentions something about caverns, which was new information to Ursk, he decides to trust the man for now.

Bluff: 1d20-2 11

The dwarf lifts his tankard, takes a long drink from it, then starts laughing...very loudly. "HA HA HA HA!" He slams the table several times for emphasis. "Ursk fool you. Ursk not slave. He merchant." He pauses, looks about the table, sees his axe and adds, "Ursk axe merchant! HA HA HA! Funny joke. You like tale? HA HA!"

Just as suddenly as he started, he stops laughing, stone faced, and says more quietly, "Ursk not axe merchant. Ursk really kill League and smash robots. But is not problem. Ursk just like local. Nobody notices Ursk. On tunnels, you show Ursk, Ursk keep League away from you. Maybe other things, too."
[Sense Motive [1d20] = 1]

What have you gotten yourself into? This fellow is either half mad, or an imbecile. Or both...? I am not sure which is the truth, the axe merchant or the slave.. maybe both.

"Well then, perhaps we should take a more active role in finding out what we can, with some polite questions? Polite, mind you. I am going to invite them over, they are the only ones I see here that may know something, at least from what I have seen of the people that dine here now."

Turning in his seat he attempts to make eye contact wuith one or both of the women at the bar. If either catches his gaze he will politely beckon them over to the table.

"You will see, not every puzzle is solved with an axe."
Hearing the dwarf launch into a completely different, but just as loud, story, Weyna does the only thing she can think of that might be polite for a dwarf.

Excusing herself from the conversation with Eva for a moment, she stands up, and proclaims something, equally loud, in dwarven, complete with tongue rolls and all.

"Aw, quit yer nattering, ya milk-drinkin' thumb-basher! Yer not foolin' anyone."

Smiling at having successfully initiated pleasantries, she sits back down.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon