RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Character Creation/ Applications
Yay!

And I have a 15-month old, a husband who acts like a 15-year old, and a dog that weighs 150 pounds. No drama here, either. I know I'm one of the newbies; I'll let you know if there's an issue or RL is getting in the way.
Quote this message in a reply
As for myself, it didn't work for me in the past, PBP that is. I'm hoping to give it another try using a fresh character--- with my previous one she was bound in society play so it felt a little off having her player there and then be locked away suddenly. I hope i don't end up being one of those dropouts you're used to seeing though. Chrome has many wonders of technology to uncover.
I understand how RL can get in the way. I just came back from a year away. Before that I would skip a day or two without posting, but never a week. Just let me know if you can so I don't worry about you guys. Chrome, hopefully this will change your mind about PbP. It's much slower than over the table, but it also gives you time to play more tactically and/or brush up on your writing skills. Don't feel intimidated if you see some people posting up novels. Not everyone feels the need to Tolkien up the thread. As long as your posts contain all the details necessary for everyone to know what you're up, we're golden. That goes for everyone. We're all here to enjoy gaming.
Great! I haven't been playing for a long time, PbP's for a little over a year now, but I'm involved in several long running ones over on the Paizo site.

Below is a quick workup for the Ranger. I can play either the alchemist or ranger depending on party composition when we're ready to start.

+++++++

Kaska belongs to the Red Talons tribe, which possessed ancestral territory in the Sellen Hills of eastern Numeria. When Kaska was very young, the tribe came into conflict with the Technic League. An area of low mounds, which the tribe held as sacred, became a place of interest to the Technic League. Warfare broke out between the two. While the conflict remained a stalemate for a couple of years, the League eventually approached the more powerful and predatory Sunder Horn tribe to the north, enlisting them as allies. Squeezed between the technology of the Technic League and Sunder Horn raiders, the Red Talons tribe was destroyed. Most were killed or captured to work as slaves in the Sunder Horn iron mines.

The remnants of the Red Talons tribe fled the area and settled elsewhere. Kaska came to Torch with her uncle, her only remaining close relative, when she was five. Her uncle taught her what he could of the Red Talons past and traditions, but her knowledge of those things is incomplete. Having grown up in Torch, Kaska does not have the reflexive fear of technology and machines many Kellids possess. But she does view it as an evil and a plague on nature.

Character Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1125296
I present the Monk. I hope to finish him today. Any suggestions are welcome. I was thinking of using a spiked chain or other reach weapon compatable to a Monk if anyone else knows of such items?

Nerdred
(02-26-2017, 07:12 PM)Taijun Wrote: I present the Monk. I hope to finish him today. Any suggestions are welcome. I was thinking of using a spiked chain or other reach weapon compatable to a Monk if anyone else knows of such items?

Nerdred

Well, hello, hottie!
(02-26-2017, 07:12 PM)Taijun Wrote: I present the Monk. I hope to finish him today. Any suggestions are welcome. I was thinking of using a spiked chain or other reach weapon compatable to a Monk if anyone else knows of such items?

Nerdred

I'm no expert on the monk so take this with a fist-full of salt...

For a monk with the Martial Artist archetype, any reach weapon will require an additional feat to gain proficiency. Note that while a weapon may have the "monk" type, that does not mean the monk is automatically proficient. From the FAQ:

Quote:If a weapon is specified as a monk weapon, does that mean that monks are automatically proficient with that weapon?

No. It means that they can use this weapon while using flurry of blows. It does not mean that it is added to the list of weapons that a monk is proficient with, unless the weapon description says otherwise.
That doesn't mean it's not worth the dip... Using Flurry of Blows (which really is one of the defining features of and reasons to be a monk) with a tri-point double-edged sword (reach, 1d10, x3 on a crit) wouldn't be too bad. Add in Combat Reflexes and a decent Dex, you'd have good AoO and some nice battlefield control. (Probably other weapons that are better, I'm just picking that one because it caught my eye.) 

Also, I can't remember if it was in 3.5, but a spiked chain isn't a reach weapon in Pathfinder. You might like a double-chained kama, which gives reach and allows the Trip combat maneuver.

But I mention it to think about using your feats strategically, and becoming proficient with a reach weapon will require another feat. Right now you're also picking up point blank shot, which for a monk has me scratching my head a little (unless you were with the zen archer archetype).

Hope that helps and I'm not being pushy (really not my intent; I just noticed you said you were relatively new to PF so just thought I'd put it out there). There is so much to Pathfinder now that all the options can be overwhelming and its similarity to 3.5 can be deceptive in some respects.

If you haven't seen it already, this struck me as a helpful guide (link). It doesn't discuss the Martial Artist archetype specifically, but gives a good high level review and discusses some of the available weapons and feats.
Ty for the advice Ursk. Double-chain kama? Hmm, I will have to look into that and all the other monk weapons. Humans do have a bonus feat so I am not opposed to using it on a versatile weapon. As for the point blank shot, I was trying to utilize the best of the monk's abilities including flurry attacks with the shuriken, but I'm not attached to the feat Smile I think I'll have to up Athelstan's.. cough.. I mean Taijun's STR and focus on melee more.
(02-26-2017, 10:37 PM)Taijun Wrote: Ty for the advice Ursk. Double-chain kama? Hmm, I will have to look into that and all the other monk weapons.  Humans do have a bonus feat so I am not opposed to using it on a versatile weapon.  As for the point blank shot, I was trying to utilize the best of the monk's abilities including flurry attacks with the shuriken, but I'm not attached to the feat Smile I think I'll have to up Athelstan's.. cough.. I mean Taijun's STR and focus on melee more.

Sure, and sorry if I overstepped or said things you already know. Looking forward to having some monkey fun.
I would second what Ursk said Taijun. It's very difficult for anyone to use shuriken well aside from ninjas. They can do it because they add a sneak attack bonus to each hit in a surprise round or if the opponent is flat-footed. Without the sneak attack bonus 1d2 damage is going to be a trivial amount very quickly, even with Flurry. Also the range is bad, only 10'. Might as well walk up and punch 'em Smile

Thrown weapons are hard to use in Pathfinder, it's been a longstanding complaint. If you do want a thrown weapon to use in a pinch, take a look at the chakram. Much better damage and range.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon