RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[IC] Chapter 1-8: Cascades of Hate
Portho guesses (and the others who've seen it in its full length confirm) that the guardian is some 12 to 15 feet high and has a reach of 10 feet. Plus, if water drains down to that hole buoyancy may help in jumping a little...
OOC - guess we are waiting for Toot here since he's the key spellcaster.
Toot thinks that a pit 20 feet deep may be sufficient and 25 feet deep sounds fairly safe.
[OoC: Just a couple of things, Thoqqua are elementals and thus do not breath.  There is also no mention of them avoiding water, unlike earth elementals.  I'm sure they aren't super happy about being in water but apparently it doesn't otherwise effect them in any way.  And as I mentioned before, Thoqqua's have an Int 6 and Wis 12 so while they aren't terribly bright they have above average common sense.]

"Does anyone have a spell to speed up their work," Toot asks.  "Me can extend three creature's time to do work but haste would really help."

Before the Earth elemental vanishes, Toot calls upon his Rod of extension from his haversack.  As the Sleetstorm vanishes from his mind, Toot focuses the summoning energy through the rod to summon a single Thoqqua behind Portho. 

Toot will then ask the Earth Elemental [since it is familiar with the area under the room] to earth glide and act as a guide for the Thoqqua.  Unless anyone has an objection, Toot will get them to travel downward [two moves actions: 20 feet x 2 = 40'] then East the same distance.  That should put them under the room.  Then Toot asks them to start hollowing out an area about 10' radius.  [the length of his 10' pole or half a move] and work his way up.

If anyone can summon something we can converse with (like maybe a Lantern Archon or water Mephit.) that isn't too stupid that can keep an eye on their progress and report back, that would be a great help.  I'm not sure if Archons need to breath though.   Confused  

[OoC2: Does anyone have anything to add to Toot's plan thus far?]
[OOC - hope you don't mind if I take over some brief decisions to roll forward this *epic* plan]

(10-19-2016, 03:25 PM)Toot Wrote: "Does anyone have a spell to speed up their work," Toot asks.  "Me can extend three creature's time to do work but haste would really help."

[OOC - Assuming Torin is willing to use his scroll of Haste here.]
"We do," Torin replies and fishes through his packs, producing a scroll from a grey dyed leather case. Portho recognises the item and Torin explains,
"We found this on the remains of a deceased Greymane cleric of Mystra, some thirty feet off the other side of the portal, but this is an arcane spell."
The name Greymane doesn't ring a bell to any except Lugar who recalls it as a dwarven clan long past extermination, according to duergar lore. Usual suspects include drow and duergar as well.

"May I?" the armorer says as he approaches. Torin considers the chances of him reciting the spell and since he'd have a slight chance of failure he hands the scroll over.
[OOC - Assuming Torin prefers a true arcane caster reciting the spell to avoid his 10% failure chance. Also, since it's on the bard list, Portho could recite the scroll as well. Fun fact: even though the bard learns 3rd level spells at 7th level it's only caster level that matters i.e. even a 5th level bard could read a scroll of Haste scribed by a 5th level wizard without need for a caster level check. That said, Portho is 7th level anyway.]
"I can complete this spell," Murkatos nods affirmatively towards Toot. "It will last for about half a minute."

Before the Earth elemental vanishes, Toot calls upon his Rod of extension from his haversack.  As the Sleetstorm vanishes from his mind, Toot focuses the summoning energy through the rod to summon a single Thoqqua behind Portho. 
[OOC - Assuming Toot is willing to summon at least two thoqquas. Just name another 3rd level spell to burn; or a 4th level spell instead of sleet storm. In the latter case you may roll d2+1 this time]

Murkatos taps into the magic stored in the scroll and utters the last few words, completing the spell. Pale blue light arcs from his fingertips to whomever he points to; the earth elemental; the two (three?) thoqquas and after the briefest moment of contemplation Maul and Torin (those with heavy armor) as well.

(10-19-2016, 03:25 PM)Toot (DM edited) Wrote: While Murkatos casts the spell Toot asks the Earth Elemental [since it is familiar with the area under the room] to earth glide and act as a guide for the Thoqqua.  Unless anyone has an objection, Toot will get them to travel downward [about 25 feet] then East the same distance.  That should put them under the room.  Then Toot asks them to start hollowing out an area about 10' diameter.  [the length of his 10' pole or half a move] and work his way up.

If anyone can summon something we can converse with (like maybe a Lantern Archon or water Mephit.) that isn't too stupid that can keep an eye on their progress and report back, that would be a great help.  I'm not sure if Archons need to breath though.   Confused  

OOC - Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

The next minute is spent in tense silence, listening to the grumbles and rumbles of the elemental creatures digging a wormhole straight down then up, up, around and around. The party imagines as the two magma worms dance around on the opposite sides of a circle, drawing two intertwining spirals.

After a minute and a half a crack is heard and the party can see as the construct's knees tremble. The floor is giving in under the weight!
In a few more seconds the whole thing collapses and down goes the guardian, its arms and sword catching the side of the shaft. Water rushes into the room as it seeps down towards the bottom. The edge of the pit gets unstable and crumbles under the insisting but mindless arms. The guardian sinks and the last thing the party can see is the tip of its sword disappearing underwater. The level of the water did not decrease dramatically (maybe an inch) and it is clearly visible that the water stirs in the middle of the vault. Relieved, Murkatos dares to go a bit closer.
"I think it tries to carve its way out. It won't get out but we may get in so better hurry and keep to the edges. Watch your step!"

As mostly everyone walks into the vault you can observe carved rock walls stacked with curious pieces of arms and armour;
a rune-engraved halberd;
a two-handed sword with jet black blade and a large ruby adorning the crossguard;
a greatclub ending in a clenched fist of granite;
a curved dagger (with obvious signs of a matching pair having been removed recently);
a yellow-hued chain mail;
a green-white checkered kite shield;
a small fur vest, grey-black striped. Toot and Giant agree that it looks like typical feline pattern and feels like the same. It doesn't show any signs of aging.

The top of the vault narrows like a cone and there is a shaft going up, some ten feet overhead, raising ten more feet to what seems to be a trapdoor.

[OOC - the Haste on Torin and Maul is gone in half a minute while the whole event chain described above took about 3 minutes.]
What a ... witchcrafts... - he says when monsters apear. He crosses his hands and waits what will happen.

After we enter he picks up the second throwing dagger. Here is it's pair. He examines there is any difference between them.

What do you think which one is the key? - he asks his old friend Lugar
The curved dagger indeed shares the strange balance-shifting property of its pair but Giant somehow feels it "different"; more vicious than the other. (OOC - this will be clear when you identify them). There's also a slight variation on design; both have leather-and-silk cover on their handles, with the first one having black-and-red; the latter having blue-and-ivory.

"What do you think where is the sea?" Maul notes.
(10-21-2016, 11:07 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: The curved dagger indeed shares the strange balance-shifting property of its pair but Giant somehow feels it "different"; more vicious than the other. (OOC - this will be clear when you identify them). There's also a slight variation on design; both have leather-and-silk cover on their handles, with the first one having black-and-red; the latter having blue-and-ivory.

"What do you think where is the sea?" Maul notes.

ooc - oops, is one of the cursed? I don't want to identify them Smile Has anyone detect evil?

Here. Near. Here is enough water, isn't here? - he makes few steps in the water - He tastes it. No, it isn't salty.

Then must be upstairs, no another way. Let's go pick up the loot and go up in hurry.  He picks up and examines the two-handed sword. Nice big blade.
The two-handed sword is more like a bastard sword than a greatsword by design and it's just a bit too large for Giant to wield as such. (OOC - it's more like a Large bastard sword with appropriately upscaled damage, thus Medium characters can wield it with due penalty on attack) ) Still, Giant can feel that the item is well made (at least masterwork but probably magical)
[OoC is Portho still up on Silent Giant's shoulders or is it dry ground here? I am assuming still up on shoulders]

Portho unslings his Handy Haversack and opens it beside Silent Giants head.

"I recommend we just stow all of that stuff, my sack or yours it does not matter, then when we are somewhere a little less damp Murkatos, Lugar, Torin and I can attempt to identify them. We all have our different methods, between the four of us we will sort things out quickly."
As Toot watches his Thoqqua go to work, an ever widening grin grows upon his little face.  He is quite please with himself that his plan seemed to be working.  And when the golem finally crashes through the floor he can't help but, Hoot, and throw his hands up with glee. 

"As my master always said, Mighty oaks from tiny acorns grow," Toot says proudly.  

[OoC: Is the antimagic field still suppressing the Everburning Torches?]

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon