RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[IC] Chapter 1-8: Cascades of Hate
[OoC: I'm sorry but I'm a little confused.  I'm looking at where the antimagic field is on the map and wondering how an enlarged dwarf is going to reach into the field to lift people up.  It looks like he can't reach over the field because the hallway's ceiling dips down into the field.  I'm wondering if drilling a hole in the hallway's ceiling, on a 45 degree angle to the opening of the shaft would help?  Or using stone shape (which effects 17 cu. ft) could make a shaft to the opening.  Or maybe use soften earth and stone above the area to make it collapse in on the golem and allowing us something to climb on to reach the opening.  Is any of these options possible?  Or am I misjudging the size of the antimagic field?]

Toot could fairly easily get up to the hole.  If there were space for a giant dorf to lift people up then there should be space for Toot to wildshape into a bird and fly up to the opening.  But then Boo would have to be lifted.  Assuming Boo weights around 250# it shouldn't be too difficult, Toot thinks to himself.  But Toot had to make sure he could get by the antimagic field without touching it or his disguise would fail.  

"We need to make sure Boo can come with us," Toot says to Lugar.  "Me have 100' of Knotted rope to help with the climb or lifting companion up to the hole.  If left behind, golem could smash through the floor enough to make it impossible to retrieve Boo."
"Hurry up you fat Dwarf!" Lugar yells at Torin as the ground beneath his feet churns from the statue buried below.

"Get your arses over here! Bring the rope! I will climb up last, but hurry!" He yells at the two, wondering why the hesitation... With claws like that, the bear should climb better than Silent Giant.

Ooc- have we opened the trap door? If not I suggest we use some of that ample rope we have and we give it a good tug to pull it off its hinges!

Between Torin and I we should be able to intuit depth to know what level the trap door is at compare to the rest of the mansion floors. Is it the same level as the attic? For Toot and Boo's sake.
To do anything with the trapdoor someone needs to get close first (magic aside).
Yes, the trapdoor is around the attic level but possibly higher than the attic floor. Whatever's above is above the attic level, barred with a huge heap of stones (the attic runs around just like the mansion but most of it is impassable. Even so, this location is somewhere in the middle)
OOC - black bears have Climb +4 which equals their Str bonus... applies for the shaft but not for the rope. I have yet to see a NatGeoWild documentary (or a circus attraction) of a bear climbing a rope but feel free to send me a Youtube link Smile
[OoC1: Actually Boo has a Climb skill of +7.  As well as a Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +9.  But no, I don't think they can climb ropes.  Maybe balance on one though. Smile  ]

[OoC2:  Some more stuff about black bears]
Black bears are highly dexterous, being capable of opening screw-top jars and manipulating door latches. They also have great physical strength. They have been known to turn over flat-shaped rocks weighing 310 to 325 pounds (141 to 147 kg) by flipping them over with a single foreleg.  They move in a rhythmic, sure-footed way and can run at speeds of 25–30 mph (40–50 km/h).   Black bears have good eyesight, and have been proven experimentally to be able to learn visual discrimination tasks based on color faster than chimpanzees and as fast as dogs. They are also capable of rapidly learning to distinguish different shapes, such as small triangles, circles and squares.

Sounds expressing aggression include growls, woofs, snorts, bellows and roars. Sounds expressing contentment include mumbles, squeaks and pants. A black bear has better eyesight and a better sense of hearing compared to humans. Their keenest sense is the sense of smell, which is about seven times greater than a dog's.  Black bears are excellent and strong swimmers, doing so for pleasure and to feed (largely on fish). Black bears climb trees regularly to feed, escape enemies and to hibernate.  Black bears may be active at any time of the day or night, although mainly forage by night. Bears living near human habitations tend to be more extensively nocturnal and bears living near brown bears tend to be more extensively diurnal.

[OoC3: Does Boo notice anything with his scent ability?]

"So what do you say," Toot asks while peering up at the ceiling.  "Should I shape a shaft for some of us to climb through?  Or should I Soften the earth and bring it down on top of the Golem so we can climb up easier?"
Boo can't pick up any new scent but at least his confidence suggests there are no unnatural spirits nearby like the one that repelled him up to disobeying his master.

Soften earth and stone doesn't work on worked stone and this is a stone/brick building. The fact that it's buried under natural debris doesn't make the spell applicable to the inner surface.
Toot thinks that he might have no choice but to use stone shape.  If he goes through the antimagic field his disguise will be supressed.  Perhaps he could wrap his blanket around him and feign being cold from the water.  It might work.  Another option would be to hide behind Boo.  His companion was much bigger than Toot so he could offer a lot of concealment.  There was another option but the thought of it terrifies Toot to the core.  Toot could swim underwater... 

Nope! 

"If I were to create a shaft, us gnomes could scout ahead and take a peek into the room.  I think Portho is more skilled than I am with sneaking," Toot says innocently.  Turning to look at Portho, Toot adds, "So it might be better if you took the lead.  Unless you're scared or something."
Giant climbs up and examines the trapdoor. He attaches grappling hook somewhere if he can.
There are no proper crevices or protrusions to apply a grappling hook but hammering in a piton or three would serve the purpose. Time is a factor though and subtlety is not the exact strength of that solution.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Giant is trying to lift up the trapdoor a bit to check it is closed or not. Is it from wood?
It is made of wood, yes, and it can be lifted a bit so it's either unlocked or locked loosely. However, when it's moved a loud wail blares right into the ears of the ranger, deafening him for a moment.

He needs to lift it six inches at least before he could peek inside.

At the same time, a rustling sound is heard like metal moving on metal. Those not in the shaft can see that the iron wall started to close! (It needs a round, maybe two)

Entering turn-based mode but no need for init yet. Post your plans broken down to rounds, up to three rounds at once.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon