RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Out of Charges (OOC thread)
Tushou is not too talkative he was waiting to know more about the group. But I will send a new post Smile
Quote this message in a reply
There are, I believe, six chapters in this adventure path. Each expect the group to be at certain level ranges after completion of one and commencement of the next. XP for leveling should not really be a problem. Between random encounters, quests, and the actual story path, there will be plenty to go around. It finishes up with the PCs at around level 20. So this is practically its own campaign setting.

As far as the missing go, that’s a real shame. I guess I might just have to put up another ad.
Sorry. I was here but just in RO way cos I had got a some very busy weeks in the office. (I got back three weeks ago from my holiday and there was a lot of thing which I must handle in my RL.)
Back around May 12th we were having a conversation in the main thread that should have been done in the OoC thread.  DM Dougfan rightly decided to move that conversation over to the the OoC thread.  But it seems not all of the conversation was moved.  

I mention this because we talked back then about background skills.  But while the question was moved the answer did not.  So I located DM Dougfan's reply so new players like @Tushou are aware of what was said about the skills and other info that was house ruled.

Quote:[[OOC1: I do remember that I did say yes to Local and Nobility.  But I can't allow any other skills untrained.  By definition, every other Knowledge skill implies a certain studiousness required.  A Laymen would not know about engineering unless he learned about it from an engineer or studied it in class or in a book, for example.  Sorry.

OOC2: See above.
OOC3: Yes, I'll accept them.  I'm also giving serious thought to Fractional Base Bonuses.  I've used them before as a player and I find it generally a better idea to not penalize a player not playing a class with a high BAB or save by forcing them to subtract the remainder of their bonus.

OoC4: As for your question about Background skills...I think I like the idea of making characters more well-rounded by giving them a scholastic or apprenticeable skill for their background.  So, yes, you all can use Background skills. Smile ]]

[OoC1: This was about which knowledge skills may be used untrained.  DM Dougfan stated we may only use Local and Nobility untrained.

[OoC2: This was just referring back to his answer in OoC1]

[OoC3:  This was about allowing the Unchained Options and he said he would allow them.  Also mentioned thinking about using Fractional Base Bonuses.  I think this option helps out multi classed characters.

[OoC4: I asked a question about the Pathfinder Background skills option found >> HERE << and he allowed us to use them.  (I still haven't gotten around to pick my skills yet.  I will figure this out right now.) ]

I hope this is useful and refreshes some memories...
(11-14-2017, 04:56 AM)Nexendia Wrote:
Quote:OoC4: As for your question about Background skills...I think I like the idea of making characters more well-rounded by giving them a scholastic or apprenticeable skill for their background.  So, yes, you all can use Background skills. Smile ]]

[OoC4: I asked a question about the Pathfinder Background skills option found >> HERE << and he allowed us to use them.  (I still haven't gotten around to pick my skills yet.  I will figure this out right now.) ]

Thank you for the reminder. I had forgotten I was going to apply these as well.  Mine were simple logical choices, which may never come into play in this setting but fit the character  Profession Sailor and Profession: Fortune teller     Almost all young vikings know how to go to sea.. even if it is just the Lake of Mists.  And as a godhi of Odhinn people would naturaklly come to him for knowledge of teh future, buit he would rarely actually use magic to answer simple questions.
I have another question.  Actually it's more of a clarification.  I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'm bored so I'm going to ask it anyways.   Tongue

In 3.5 it states:

Quote:Size and Type

Animals or vermin with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged. Celestial creatures encountered on the Material Plane have the extraplanar subtype.

And Magical Beasts says:
Quote:Magical beasts are similar to animals but can have Intelligence scores higher than 2. Magical beasts usually have supernatural or extraordinary abilities, but sometimes are merely bizarre in appearance or habits.

I've always interpreted that as Magical Beasts have at least a 3 Intelligence which makes the Celestial animal smart enough to know (though not speak) a language.  So in my game I've always allowed the creatures to know the Celestial Language.

I have looked over the Celestial Template in Pathfinder and they seem to have omitted the line about becoming Magical Beasts.  So I was wondering if that remains true in your Pathfinder game or if you think it makes sense they should be considered Magical Beasts.  The reason why I ask this is because, since I'm a Conjurer being able to speak to my summoned creatures is very useful.  So if they actually could understand Celestial that would allow me to give them more precise orders.  So what do ya say, you wanna let them be Magical Beasts so they can understand Celestial?  Come on... help a girl out!   Angel Tongue
(11-14-2017, 05:49 AM)Valdi Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 04:56 AM)Nexendia Wrote:
Quote:OoC4: As for your question about Background skills...I think I like the idea of making characters more well-rounded by giving them a scholastic or apprenticeable skill for their background.  So, yes, you all can use Background skills. Smile ]]

Thank you for the reminder. I had forgotten I was going to apply these as well.  Mine were simple logical choices, which may never come into play in this setting but fit the character  Profession Sailor and Profession: Fortune teller     Almost all young vikings know how to go to sea.. even if it is just the Lake of Mists.  And as a godhi of Odhinn people would naturaklly come to him for knowledge of teh future, buit he would rarely actually use magic to answer simple questions.

Good, I was hoping that when I did all that work to locate those posts that someone else would need the information too and I wasn't just posting at myself.

When I was checking my skills, for some reason I had 8 skills picked but I only counted 7 skill points (2 for class +5 for Intelligence.)   Huh  I think I might have originally been a human and I still had that extra skill point added on.  So one of my Background points have to go to fix that discrepancy.  So one point goes to Knowledge Nobility.  I'm not sure what my other point should go to.  I was thinking of either a Language (Maybe Celestial), Animal Handling (since I've roleplayed her sensitivity to animals), Craft Alchemy (Because she was trying to learn more from Andra, the Investigator), or Knowledge Engineering (Because she had been working with the soldiers to learn more about building defenses.)  Any of those would work for her.
The background skills should not be picked from whatyou were trying to learn from other party members. What they are for is to reflect your past BEFORE you met the party. Though a noblewoman dabbling in animal handling or craft alchemy, or engineering is far more likely than something like craft blacksmithing
(11-14-2017, 07:15 AM)Valdi Wrote: The background skills should not be picked from whatyou were trying to learn from other party members. What they are for is to reflect your past BEFORE you met the party.  Though a noblewoman dabbling in animal handling or craft alchemy, or engineering is far more likely than something like craft blacksmithing

Yes I know, but these were some of the things that she was interest in.  I would have likely picked one of these skills.  All of these skills (Languages, Alchemy, Animal Handling, and Engineering) would be possible for a Wizard/Scholar in a noble court.
Thanks, Nex.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon