RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cerebro: [Aurum and Interface]
November 27

11:50am
Open to Aurum and Interface

The doors to Cerebro open upon approach.  Inside you see the giant spherical room with a bridge that leads from the door and ends in the center of the room where the controls are located.  You both have been in this room before but it still amazes you every time you get the chance to look inside.  The Professor's electric wheelchair leads Jean and the two of you to the control center where he stops and presses a few buttons to activate Cerebro.  The room's wall panels begin to flash randomly all around you.

"What do you remember of Cerebro," the Professor asks Roslyn.  "More than any other student, you need to remain as familiar as possible with how this tool works.  This machine can be dangerous so if you ever wish to have more lessons in its use, I'm sure Jean, Betsy or I would be happy to schedule more training."
Quote this message in a reply
Just as the last time, Aurum's eyes trace up the walls and down toward the depths of the immense room, wondering how something this large can even exist in the mansion. Or under it, maybe. Perhaps little Kat would have a better idea on the actual proportions. Or Johnny, since he could just find the specs. Inside her head, Demi pipes up.

~Holy -! So this is what you get for being an A-lister, huh? Can't say I'm not jealous, Goldy. Or, I would be. If I wasn't right here.

Aurum makes an audible "Hmm.." noise in response, which might seem out of place to anyone not listening in to the thoughts of the two girls. At the Professor's question, she glances at him and nods once. "Not much, actually. Mostly that it was painful. That kinda blurred everything else out. But I think learning to use it could make me more useful. It doesn't matter if it hurts."
"You might not yet believe this but you are a quite accomplished telepath," the Professor replies.

"You are more advanced than I was when I first began to learn," Jean adds.

The professor smiles and continues, "Cerebro is a second generation mutant detecting device.  The original device was called Cyberno and it wasn't nearly as efficient.  Cerebro detects mutants by focusing on the distinctive psionic wavelengths that a mutant's brain generally possesses.  This device will only detect mutants once their powers have manifested themselves, usually during adolescence, but it can pinpoint the precise location of the mutant once the detection power is activated.  Cerebro can be set to scan and detect automatically, but its range and effectiveness are then limited.  In my case, I can extend my own mutant-sensing power to worldwide scope but even I sometimes have difficulty and Cerebro can over tax my abilities, causing me to 'short' out my telepathy for a few days."
Johnny listens to the conversation.  None of this really applied to him but he was here to support Roslyn.  Sure the tech stuff interested him but since he wasn't a telepath there was a limit to what he could do with the machine.  He supposed he might be able to create a device that granted him telepathy so he could use the machine.  Johnny was sure he read in the school's data base that Beast and the Professor had created a device which gave the user rudimentary telepathy that could contact another telepath.  Perhaps he could expand upon the tech so it could be used with Cerebro.
She hadn't exactly meant what they thought, nor was she fishing for compliments. More, she'd meant that her power didn't belong to just her, anymore, and that if there were more ways to use it to benefit the others, she'd do it. But... whatever.

She listened to their explanations, glancing at Johnny for a second before turning her attention back to Xavier and Jean.

"Today, I'm sitting it out, though, right? Because we're not doing something more simple like looking for a particular mutant? Or... I could piggyback."
"Yes, I was thinking I would mindlink with you, Johnny and Jean.  Then you can experience what I am perceiving without any danger.  If the mutant has fully manifested their power then it won't be a problem finding their location.  There have been instances where a mutant has been immune to Cerebro.  We will just have to hope that won't be the case this time.  Do you feel like this is something you would like to try?"
Johnny listens and when there's a lull in the conversation he will bump Roslyn gently with his shoulder and flash her a supportive smile.  This was a lot to take in for anyone especially when you're THE telepath in the group.  Despite most people not having any grand expectations for her, he couldn't imagine how much pressure Aurum could be feeling to not make any mistakes.  It's just natural for anyone to want to excel when telepaths, with their mindlinks are sort of the glue which holds the group together.  Johnny knew Roslyn had it in her but he hoped Demi would be able to support Roslyn's confidence, since she didn't have any problem getting into people's face when she felt she needed.

"That'll be craic.*  Whatta ya think Roz?"

[ooc: Craic pronounced crack = Fun time]
She smiles at Johnny and nods to the Professor. Piggy-backing seemed like a far less painful why to start out. "Sounds good. Let's do it."
The professor mindlinks with all of you and suddenly you see a silvery image of the planet appear in your minds with tiny pin points of light sparkle all over the globe.

"When I'm connected to Cerebro, I can sense every mind on the planet.  When I focus upon a particular group like mutants, Cerebro responds..."  Instantly most of the tiny lights wink out of existence.  "From here I can focus upon either new mutants or mutants with a particular power set or even a specific mutant."  Suddenly the planetary image begins to focus in closer on the map until you see the image moving in on a house in a middle class neighborhood.  The professor tilts his head lightly as if trying to force his mind closer but the mental image doesn't move.

"That's odd..."

Suddenly there's a beeping noise.  Jean breaks from the mindlink and presses the intercom...

"Yes, Trevor?"

"Umm Jack is on a mission.  He said his Girl friend was hit by her father.  After we refused his request for help, he said he was going to bed."

"Which is completely unlike him."  After a few seconds, Jean adds, "It seems you're right. Jack has left the mansion.  The Professor just mentally contacted him but Jack is ignoring his requests for him to come home.  Unfortunately Jack is pretty fast and can run about 450m/h.  I believe the only person that can keep up with him is Angel but he's not here right now.  We will have to take the Blackbird to pick him up.  Anyone up for a little field trip?"
Aurum sighs at the news, looking glum. "I guess I can put him to sleep, if necessary. That would be the least damaging option, depending on what his plan is."

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon