RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[IC] Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round...
(08-15-2017, 09:17 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: "Ye sure ye wanna try that?" Lugar asks, frowning.

Not sure but curious. - he draws his dagger and goes closer to cut a mushrom with his dagger but hesitates - Do you want to search for traps first? Do you think it is a trap?
(08-15-2017, 09:12 PM)Silent Giant Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 09:17 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: "Ye sure ye wanna try that?" Lugar asks, frowning.

Not sure but curious.

... and wise!? Angel
(08-15-2017, 03:27 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: Shanna can't recognise the exact spell but it's something like Sculpt Sound. The rumbling of the waterfall is magically enhanced to dampen any speech in the area, making spellcasting with verbal components difficult if not straightforward impossible.

Shanna purses her lips and releases a sigh.  "Yes...remarkable, and brilliant at restraining any magic-user in the party.  The waterfall will dampen any spell I can cast with a verbal element.  I will be, more or less, useless here from a mystical standpoint, save my attempts to identify spells.  I suppose I can look at the mushroom rings to see what magic exists within them, but that will be all within this room...for the most part."

[[+17 Spellcraft to identify magic on mushroom rings.]]
OOC - Behind the scenes: the effect of the waterfall -
... is similar to the effect of the "deafened" condition on spellcasting, except that it's not your hearing but your voice that impedes speech. I believe the idea comes from some AD&D 2Ed spells, I think it was wild magic, that causes bubbles to leave your mouth as you speak, each bubble containing a word, and they pop in random order, effectively scrambling the words of a sentence/spell.

"In a dragon's lair every step may be a deathtrap." Lugar shrugs, seemingly unconcerned by what Giant does with the mushrooms but eventually gets as far as possible from the half-human, keeping as many people in-between as possible.

Shanna has no idea about the spells on the mushroom rings, apart from what she's already learned about the three overlapping schools.
(08-16-2017, 08:01 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: OOC - Behind the scenes: the effect of the waterfall -
... is similar to the effect of the "deafened" condition on spellcasting, except that it's not your hearing but your voice that impedes speech. I believe the idea comes from some AD&D 2Ed spells, I think it was wild magic, that causes bubbles to leave your mouth as you speak, each bubble containing a word, and they pop in random order, effectively scrambling the words of a sentence/spell.

"In a dragon's lair every step may be a deathtrap." Lugar shrugs, seemingly unconcerned by what Giant does with the mushrooms but eventually gets as far as possible from the half-human, keeping as many people in-between as possible.

Shanna has no idea about the spells on the mushroom rings, apart from what she's already learned about the three overlapping schools.

So, don't you want to disable them? - if no then SG picks up one mushroom but first starts blinking
Which mushroom will he take?
There are four rings, first being the outermost and fourth being the innermost.
First ring has three segments: SW, SE, N
Second ring has two segments: S, N
Third ring has four segments: SE, NW, N, NE
Fourth ring has two segments: W, S

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-16-2017, 08:54 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: Which mushroom will he take?
There are four rings, first being the outermost and fourth being the innermost.
First ring has three segments: SW, SE, N
Second ring has two segments: S, N
Third ring has four segments: SE, NW, N, NE
Fourth ring has two segments: W, S

When he goes closer he rotates his head and says: Hm, very strange, these are not mushrooms, this is like a witchcrafted labyrinth of mushrooms.

In this case he is more careful, he rolls a stone into the southern entrance of the "labyrinth" first.

OOC - Maybe if he goes inside he will appear in a real labyrinth
Merri decided to keep her spell in place in case they needed it later. Shanna seemed a competent enough mage to be trusted. "That is indeed an interesting effect. I wonder if the dragon put that in place, or if it was something that was here when it arrived. Such an enchantment would also negatively affect its own spellcasting. I wonder how far the effect goes. Shanna, can you tell?"

She begins examing the walls for any detail that might be hidde. (You can make rolls for me. She is looking for secret doors or any arcane patterns she might recognize)
OOC @Merrinna Starsong - please remind me, which spell?

As Giant rolls a fist-sized stone into the circle it disappears in a flash of eerie greenish light! Or does it? Hard to tell since there are some rocks of the same size and smaller around the place where he rolled his own.

Meanwhile, Merri tries to walk around the wall without stepping into the rings that makes it quite difficult and she spends more time watching her steps than checking the murals. Immersed in her thoughts, she still finds some kind of detail that differs in theme from the rest of the hunting scenes. What looks like relatively fresh carving is a roughly spherical creature with many tentacles and holding some rod-like object in one of them. The object seems to be intricately carved, and features a large, green precious gem at the point (this is basically the only colour on the homogenous grey-brown wall). The carving is so realistic it almost looks like there's some invisible force keeping the creature at bay, as if it could otherwise float off the wall. This part of the mural is somewhere to the west-northwest from the centre.

Apart from this interesting part, Merri finds nothing that resembles to arcane patterns, nor secret doors.
Shanna continues to stare at the ring, having essentially exhausted all of her other options.  She shakes her head absent-mindedly to Merrinna's question.  "With that enchantment controlling sound in this place, I'm unable to cast many of my spells.  But...that is fascinating."  She had been watching the mushroom ring as the boys played with it, noting the the rocks and their movement.  She points it out.  "Perhaps calling it a 'labyrinth' was not very far off from the truth..."

As she watches the rocks and their movements, a grin slowly spreads across her features.  "While I was concentrating on the waterfall entrance a few minutes before we passed through it, I noticed a curious confluence of magical energies radiating outward.  Three, to be precise: abjuration, transmutation, and the teleportation I previously mentioned.  They seem to radiate from this mushroom ring.  Fascinating."

[[+17 Knowledge arcana and +15 Knowledge Planes on the mushroom ring]]
Planes: [1d20+15] = 7+15 = 22, Arcana: [1d20+17] = 4+17 = 21

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon