RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 12-10-2015

Well I can't find any reference to the original statement about time available for you in this end of the portal but I certainly remember what the idea was behind. This is a dungeon crawl and it is dangerous as you've already experienced but still a no-brainer if you can rest and recover unimpeded. (uh. is this the right word here? I mean I know what the word means but can you use it in this context?)

The idea is that you should not spend time with a full rest (only as a very last resort) but still have plenty of time for taking 20, running in circles or replace some of the spells you memorised (or prayed for, in case of Maul).

Thinking about what is yet to come this may be really cruel. I've just realised that this cloaked figure is simply more powerful than I originally planned (I learned a lot about how to use special abilities to their full benefit) but there are definitely no place for "pit stops" in the adventure. If you can find a (relatively) safe place to recover on this side of the portal then it's fine. But once you cross the portal you won't come back. Ever. From this aspect the adventure is quite linear. You may have better luck with the next sea but I'll have hard time giving you the xp awards needed to survive if you skip the major part of one of the seas. The completion bonus itself is quite tremendous to tell one, not to mention the ... ugh... almost wrote a spoiler in-line...
so...
not to mention the boss fight (now you are surprised that there'll be such a thing, aren't you? Smile )

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 12-10-2015

Lugar can't sleep because he drank too much Sailor Jerry and Coke Zero at the Rusty Rat. It's past midnight on the other side of the world for me, but that's okay because the bard is playing "Keeper of The Seven Keys," at the moment, which I didn't know was a real song. +1 knowledge power metal. Now I'll have a sound track to listen to while I kill monsters and explore dungeons. Epic.

Unimpeded is used correctly. I'm fairly confident that Lugar has no idea how to truly defeat the "spirit," however meta game knowledge tells me it shouldn't be able to pass through a wall that's more than 10' thick, i.e. 11' thick. Sooooo, do I hear cave in anyone????? At least according to the section about incorporeal creatures in the monster manual.

I definitely meant player knowledge not character knowledge. And...

Whoa you are right!!! Never noticed this.

"An incorporeal creature (...) must remain adjacent to the object’s exterior, and so cannot pass entirely through an object whose space is larger than its own."
And I think it means 5 feet not 10 feet. (it's not just "you must be adjacent after every step" which would rectify 10 feet)

I don't think it makes sense. They can pass through the item and they have no gravity, no need to breath etc so why do they need to be in contact with any gaseous or liquid object?
But as always, "it's magic" so no need to make too much sense Smile

To be honest the thickest object the creature *had to* pass is no more than the attic's thickness which is comfortably below five feet where there are no large piles of rubble. Or... do you mean the party should barricade themselves completely with a cave-in? That is if someone (a character) in the party is clever enough to come up with this idea. The barricade must be airtight though since even the thinnest tunnel of air qualifies as "the object's exterior"... go figure Smile
Maul may know about this restriction and Merri is probably cunning enough to mention this solution and then it's up to the party to decide whether it's safe enough.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 12-10-2015

That was my first conclusion too. But the barricade plan presents a lot of problems. Well the whole idea is problematic. My second abuse of that clause was to bury "it" and that might involve some human/Demi-human sacrifice. Of course, the plan could be conceived on the basis of blinding the "spirit" in a pile of rubble so it won't know which way to go, for a while.
Ghosts are on the Astral? Plane, which overlaps the Material Plane, maybe that's why it's restricted that way... I guess your right, best not to think about it Smile

Ethereal not astral but yes it overlaps... the loophole in your theory is that there are object on ethereal as well.
About "blinding" incorporeal creatures... "Incorporeal creatures have an innate sense of direction and can move at full speed even when they cannot see."

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 12-13-2015

Pondered about the bulkiness of the roll20 interface.
An alternative to those willing to pick an alternative.
- for char.sheets you may use myth-weavers. Just give view (or even edit) permissions to me (Panirmorzsa).
- for rolls you may use unseenservant. When creating a character assign it to campaign number 375.

When rolling the dice on unseenservant make sure you copy the "PbP forum code" like this:
Listen [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 12-13-2015

Ok I will look into that as soon as I can.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 12-16-2015

Forgot about the two swords! Good one Giant!

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 12-16-2015

Did Giant mean the two scimitars on the master bedroom wall?
Those are adamantine and damaged. I can't recall if anyone ever checked them for magic though...

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 12-16-2015

We didn't, I can't believe I looked right over them, especially after they had the same description as the shield and glaive head we found in the barracks!