RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 03-21-2017

(03-21-2017, 12:37 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: CoS is PF, means not 3.5 core. This could be the end of the argument. Still, I take the effort to mention that--
- I don't know of any items in the 3.5 core that would confer you any language you don't speak already (apart from comprehend languages or tongues of course).
- If you calculated with two skill points that's fine. Just wanted to make sure.
- That movie is based on a novel that is based on a true story (except the gauntlet part I believe) but I mentioned it just for fun, not as any kind of argument about what magic can or cannot do.
- More likely the teflon orb would have a "racial" -100 to anything that involves any form of friction. And a negative natural armor.
- Dusty rose is +1 to AC for 5k. Just in case you'd feel unsafe with AC26 as it stands now. I don't think Wild Shape could be much higher. Your size bonus drops; your shield and armor bonuses drop; your dex bonus probably drops. If you can't wear the belt in your new form... let's not even think about that disaster Wink

I could just buy a helm of Comprehending Languages and reading magic and stick it on Boo's head.  Then Boo could understand every language for 5,200gp's.  

The Ioun stone was more for boosting Toot's Wisdom.  The AC bonus was just an added benefit.  

As for Armor Class in animal forms.  Most animals do have some kind waist of some kind.  If they have hind legs then they should have a waist. They even tie bulls and horses around the inside of their back legs to get them to buck.  However, one of Toot's major forms will be a Dire Ape.  He would have a AC23 (Base10 - 1size +8belt +2Dex + 4natural = 23); as a Dire Bear, Toot would have an AC25; And then there's the mighty Dire Bat which would give Toot a AC28.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 03-21-2017

Bears and apes are easy. Now, bats with girdles; that might be a feat, considering how their wings connect to the hind legs. Actually, I was thinking about some kind of a slimeball, say, a jellyfish, that didn't have anything that would qualify as a waist.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Portho Nihilbuck - 03-21-2017

Too bad we aren't allowed non-core items.. the Pearl of Speech from Magic item Compendium 600gp would solve the problem. Still need the Headband. but alas non-core.

As for the magic item Gold piece vales.. the interpretation that the bonus skill point would only cost 150gp extra shouuld have been correct from what I've read in the SRD. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#magicItemGoldPieceValues

Magic Item Gold Piece Values
Many factors must be considered when determining the price of new magic items. The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item that is already priced that price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Price Values.

Multiple Similar Abilities
For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

Multiple Different Abilities
Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar, and their values are simply added together to determine the cost. For items that do take up a space on a character’s body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.

(03-21-2017, 02:10 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: Bears and apes are easy. Now, bats with girdles; that might be a feat, considering how their wings connect to the hind legs. Actually, I was thinking about some kind of a slimeball, say, a jellyfish, that didn't have anything that would qualify as a waist.

I was wondering about bats too but there are several different kinds of bats.  The wings attached to the legs variety seem a lot more common.  Magic items also change to accommodate the creature but would the accommodate additional anatomical features of the creature.  What if a creature has a crest running down his back or an unusual tail or spines?

\From Animal Diversity Web Wrote:Bat wings usually run from the shoulder region to the ankle, or in some cases, to the digits themselves. The wing membrane joins the body along the sides, except in a few cases in which it arises near the middle of the back.

[Image: Dwarf-epauletted-fruit-bat.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg]

So I'm leaning toward buying the Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic (To share with Boo) because it seems like it could be a useful item for the party.  Then later either buy Boo a Ioun stone +2 Int or add an enhancement bonus to the Helm like the Headband of Intellect.

or

I could also get my animated shield.  Just sell my old shield and armor and I should have enough money to buy a +1 animated shield.  My only question would be what size would I need?  A tiny shield may only give me the magic bonus or no benefit at all.  A large shield floating around Toot in regular form would be like a table hovering in front of him.  It would be difficult to see past.

OR

Toot could buy an Amulet of Mighty Fists which he could share with Boo that would give all of his natural attacks a +1 enhancement bonus.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 03-21-2017

animated shield still confers all modifiers like arcane failure, armor check penalty, and consistently continuing this list I'd say nonproficiency and inappropriate size as well. I.e. you cannot use a shield not your size, animated or not.
Concerning AMF; you could even make it yourself next level if you took Craft Wondrous Items.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Merrinna Starsong - 03-22-2017

Ok at this point I think a headband of intellect +4 is going to give me more bang for my buck rather than investing in a ring of wizardry 1. It would be more cost effective to buy a quiver full of wands... SO that should leave me enough to get an extra +1 on my greatsword since moving from +2 to +3 is a 10 grand difference.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 03-22-2017

Merri, a reminder: you don't have a 31k share to spend on yourself. You have the 27k starting wealth, half of it already covered by your old equipment (sword, wands (I believe they were Knock and Missiles), and some oddities), that is, unless someone's willing to lend you the extra needed for the headband or the greatsword upgrade.

Night falls in 24 RL hours. Please finalise your shopping lists.
So far I saw Portho, Lugar, Giant, Toot. And only one of them sent me in PM as I requested...

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Shanna Rendin - 03-22-2017

Am I expected to send one or is my list already filled coming in?

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 03-22-2017

(03-22-2017, 02:21 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: So far I saw Portho, Lugar, Giant, Toot. And only one of them sent me in PM as I requested...

Sorry, I didn't see the request.  What do you need sent?