RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Shanna Rendin - 03-17-2017

A..."La-zer" sword? ((Holds up air-quote fingers))

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 03-17-2017

Well. It is 50% heavier than a medium greatsword (12lbs vs 8lbs). We can assume that the size is proportional, meaning about 15% longer, wider and thicker. Or we can assume that it's same thickness, a bit (1/8) wider, and a more (1/3) longer.

A medium character can use a medium basw one-handed with Str 13+
The same character enlarged would have Str 15+ and could wield a large basw one-handed.
A medium character can use a large one-handed weapon two-handed, with -2 penalty.
Thus, medium characters can use a large basw two-handed if they fulfil the following criteria:
- they could use a medium basw one-handed (exotic weapon prof)
- they have Str 15+
- even then, they apply -2 penalty for inappropriately sized weapon.
Lacking EWP you could still use it with a total of -6 penalty but lacking Str... no. You simply cannot hold that beast straight.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 01:46 PM)Shanna Rendin Wrote: A..."La-zer" sword? ((Holds up air-quote fingers))

Not really. More like, a force sword. Meaning the DND-kind of force, not the SW-kind of Force.

If you are curious about its origin... spoilerousness...
On a second thought...
[Image: 1223008881849_f.jpg]
... it is a secret.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Portho Nihilbuck - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 12:59 PM)Merrinna Starsong Wrote: So I would need some serious magic to make that light sword usable. I'm not what one would call charismatic. Now a large bastard sword, would that approximate a greatsword to a medium?

Portho can use the force sword easily thanks to UMD +19 and having already triggered it before. The issue where it should go to someone else is Portho would rather avoid melee when at all possible, sowiould not use it often.

But if i read correctly in Portho's hands it would be a +5 bastard sword he would have to wield two handed, with the off-size penalty

so overall a +3 attack bonus, +5 damage bonus. that is a LOT better than my current +1 rapier lol.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Portho Nihilbuck - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 07:52 AM)DM Surranó Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 09:52 PM)Torin Wrote: - How many Pearl of Power could a PC use from the same level?
- Could we are thinking in non standard Wounderous Items? (I don't want to create Headband of Regenaration from Vigor, Lesser spell.) Could we order it? e.g. Hat of Alter => 1800 * 2 * 3 = 10800 GP

Pearls: At least four, regardless of level. It's a matter of placing them. As long as they are within reach and you won't mix them up it's OK. E.g. you cannot automatically pick a charged one of many from a common pouch since it's random.  But if you have just the necessary amount of pockets, or a magic container that allows you to retrieve that particular item automagically then I think I'm fine with it (and still, I feel it is broken and my feeling will get stronger if anyone has more than four total). Just remember that retrieving an item is usually a move action that may imply an AOO.

Nonstandard wondrous items: generally no, but specifically this one I will pass. Why? Because the price is the same as 120 wand charges and I don't think you'd use it more than 120 times, and never more than one person at a time.
BUT
Base price is 2,000gp for use activated (I think 1,800gp for HoD is either a mistake or a retail price) so 12,000gp total
It should be a cloak, cape or mantle since it is transformation. It can be a hat for a 50% cost or 18,000 gp total.

(03-16-2017, 10:49 PM)Lugar Wrote: Lugar can gear up in heavy armor and tower shields to assist on the front lines, or I can keep him light and nimble. I want to enchant his cloak to add to his saves. Boots of striding and springing look nice for his 20' move speed. Maybe I'll buy some magic ammunition for his crossbows. Can't wait to find out about those weapons we looted, especially the daggers Smile

Please ensure that everyone has one FINAL list of wishes, including pricing. And if the party is happy with all this then you can commit to the purchase / craft. (remember Murkatos' offer). Note, though, that item creation takes time and all Murkatos items and all nonstandard items must be created (but instead of 1day/1000gp I'd say 2h/1000gp of magical features, rounded up to nearest 2h)

(03-17-2017, 03:00 AM)Portho Nihilbuck Wrote: Was it ever determined how many gp we each have. I never saw it if it was. And able to do any shopping?  I have been sick so offline a lot.

I believe there is the Treasure! thread...

You suggest in the treasure thread that we record anything we find there. BUT I cannot, I do not have rights to post in that thread.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Silent Giant - 03-17-2017

(03-17-2017, 12:53 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: The rest of the party has no positive Charisma modifier.

Puff, unusable, we have to sell it. Smile

Shanna *could* use it as a magic item, but she has neither the proficiency nor the base attack to effectively use it as a weapon.

(03-17-2017, 01:58 PM)DM Surranó Wrote:
(03-17-2017, 01:46 PM)Shanna Rendin Wrote: A..."La-zer" sword? ((Holds up air-quote fingers))

Not really. More like, a force sword. Meaning the DND-kind of force, not the SW-kind of Force.

If you are curious about its origin... spoilerousness...
On a second thought...
[Image: 1223008881849_f.jpg]
... it is a secret.

It was a quote from here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-PIidaqCyU

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 03-17-2017

- a rune-engraved halberd - 8,310gp
Portho recognises the runes on this +1 weapon as the Mark of the Swamp (a la Pathfinder favored terrain: The wielder gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks and Knowledge (geography), Spot, Listen, Hide, Move Silently, and Survival skill checks when he is in this terrain. No pass without trace, though)

- a two-handed sword (large bastard sword) with jet black blade and a large ruby adorning the crossguard - 18,370gp
Talon, a +3 large bastard sword. Can be disassembled to three places: hilt of Talon, eye of Talon, and blade of Talon.

- a greatclub ending in a clenched fist of granite - 18,305gp
This +1 Numbing Greatclub has a kind of transmutation magic that is the reversal of Cat's Grace (Will negates)

- a curved dagger, blue-ivory - 50,302gp
Guinsoo is a +4 balanced dagger that behaves as Keen (17-20) versus unarmored (fleshy) opponents.

- a curved dagger, red-black - 50,302gp
Backstabber is a +3 dagger of the Oath. Its necromantic magic makes it possible to sacrifice your life force in exchange to deal a devastating attack on your opponent. You don't know its exact behaviour but the divine spell Harm is behind its powers.

- a yellow-hued chain mail - 0gp (cursed)
This is a -2 Cursed Chain Mail.

- a small fur vest, grey-black striped. - 12,000 gp
Toot and Giant agree that it looks like typical feline pattern and feels like the same. It doesn't show any signs of aging.
Spine of the Cat, this small fur vest provides +6 to Hide.
According to Portho there's some more magic that can be activated by wearing more than one item of a set of artifacts collectively known as Legacy of the Cat. The set consists of Spine, Claws, Paws, and Whiskers. The more you wear/wield the more powerful they become. Their combined powers cannot be identified, though, only if they are identified together.

- Drow cleaver (Pearl's axe). 32,310gp
The battle axe is of intricate, masterwork design, made of pure mithril to reduce weight, and the blade has an insidious, malevolent shape tearing up the opponent's flesh even on a bruising hit. The word "Cleaver" is written in drow on the blade and the head is decorated with a spider sitting in the middle of a spiderweb on either side.
Cleaver is a +3 keen battle axe.

- a wand (faint transmutation) inscribed "Gratiam Celeritatis" - 4,500gp
A wand of Cat's Grace, 50 charges

- a vial containing a waterlike liquid (strong transmutation). - 50gp
Without removing the stopper it's hard to tell what the vial is for but the liquid's ethereal substance, almost as thin as mist, must be some potent chemical reagent. A strong acid or adhesive maybe?
Universal solvent.

- sword hilt: 50,000 gp
The Sword of Light is a Ghost Touch sword. The exact type of the sword and the power of the enchantment it provides depends on how strong the ability of leadership of the wielder is.

Total, minus wand and vial = 239,899 gp 1/2 =  119,949.5 gp 1/5 = 23,989 gp each if we can sell it all, not including the 7,300 we each got from the other loot, if my math is correct.

How should we split this up?  Does anything catch anyone's eye?

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 03-17-2017

The way my RL group does it is we find out the cost of everything if we sold it.  Which is usually half unless the DM allows Diplomacy for negotiation.   Then the player who wants something "buys" back what he wants out of his share of the money.  In some cases the item may be more than his share so he can use his own money to make up the difference or borrow money from another character.

Spine of the cat would be awesome...but Shanna didn't exactly earn that.

Yeah, what Toot said is how my first DM did it.