RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 12-19-2016

Well... I guess it's not really meant to be used this way but if you would, say, disguise yourself as having brown pants and a green cloak in a sylvan forest; or being bright white on a snow field, I'd count that as if it were normal clothing, providing maybe +2 circumstance bonus on hide. This is something swampy though, for the glamer to kick in you have to be spotted first, right? Then, where's the hide? Smile

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 08:34 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: Well... I guess it's not really meant to be used this way but if you would, say, disguise yourself as having brown pants and a green cloak in a sylvan forest; or being bright white on a snow field, I'd count that as if it were normal clothing, providing maybe +2 circumstance bonus on hide. This is something swampy though, for the glamer to kick in you have to be spotted first, right? Then, where's the hide? Smile

Hehe. Good point. If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Tongue

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 12-20-2016

Wow. You welled up a memory in me. Curious how many of you recognise the following quote. (please post your solution in SPOILER tags so that you don't influence others. and do NOT google. There's no reward for being fastest, this is just for kicks)

Quote:He fell as gently as a tree falls. There was not even any sound (...)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 12-20-2016

Probably something I should know but nothing is coming to me. I'll be really disappointed in myself if its something I read before.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 12-20-2016

I'm just guessing you've read thousands of pages of various novels so if you cannot recall a single line it's not a disaster Smile Even if it's a pretty mainstream piece of art.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 12-20-2016

Got it Smile I'm impressed, that's some memory of yours!

I did read it, and not too long ago, this past summer to my kids.  When we got home from Florida I was happily surprised to see it was a movie on Netflix. It's one of their favorites now... and mine.

Climbing for very small / very large characters - DM Surranó - 12-21-2016

Climbing modifier for smaller and larger creatures

Okay, this house rule may hurt some, especially some of the opponents Smile but I was thinking about how it could work.
Climbing is proportional to your ability to lift your own weight and is purely a muscular work. I don't think dexterity plays a role here.
we can approach this proportion in several ways.

One way is to relate the average weight of your race to your carrying capacity.
Say, Toot is an average jermlaine with his 7 pounds and can lift 25 pounds or 350% of his own weight.
Now, considering an average human being about 150 pounds, it would equal to an average man lifting 525 pounds, corresponding to 22 str.
Thus, instead of -3 based on his sheer strength, Toot could have +6 to climb, or to make it the familiar powers of two, +8 size bonus to climb.

Another way of putting it is that every size category is about half the height and quarter (or one-eighth) of weight.
Since +5str = x2 carrying capacity, +20str = x16 capacity, giving Toot +10 size bonus to climb. (with one-eighth it would be +30str = x64 c.c. i.e. +15 bonus to climb)

A third way of putting it is that the spells Enlarge person and Reduce person approach.
They modify your size category by one and your Str by 2.
This is roughly in accordance with most races that have no racial hit dice at least. Thus, Toot has -4Str due to size (even though jermlaine have a total of -6 racial modifier to Str which is because they are even weaker than the average tiny guy), thus it makes sense to compensate this by giving him a +4 size bonus to climb.

I also considered jermlaine in particular. Rats and dire rats have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. While this is something absolutely missing from the official jermlaine description it may make some sense. Not as an addition but instead of the generic "size modifier" thingy.

Note that since Portho is small he would get a similar (though smaller) benefit to climbing. On the other end of the scale, Giant is still Medium so he wouldn't get a penalty.

Opinions welcome.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 12-21-2016

Size does make a difference. The little cracks and crevices on a rock wall are much easier for a little creature to grasp than a larger creature (ignoring height and other ways to scale a wall) I'd call it a circumstance bonus... +2 per size category and depending on the surface. If Jermelains have claws in their descriptor that could be a factor of consideration as well. Just a thought.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 12-21-2016

on the other hand, tiny creatures cannot grab larger protrusions that would fit conveniently into a human hand... if we start modeling all these stuff... Erythnul would die laughing hysterically at us.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 12-21-2016

New thread:
Chapter 1-10: Crypt of Hate