RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 11-19-2016

(11-19-2016, 05:29 PM)Toot Wrote: Wow, I think I'm beating the odds on these d20 attack rolls.  I rolled a 7, 8, 6, 9 and topped it off with a 1.   Dodgy  I hope all my sucky rolls means the universe will bless the rest of you with awesome rolls to balance things out.
Some say reloading the page helps. Personally I don't have such experience but if you prefer unseen servant I'm ok with that.

EDIT: Drat! it was unseenservant... my comment above referred to roll20...

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Portho Nihilbuck - 11-20-2016

(11-19-2016, 04:11 PM)Toot Wrote: Sorry about that...  I wasn't trying to be annoying by posting everywhere except for the current combat.  This is my weekend to work [I work overnights 99% of the time] and my work has a crappy laptop.  So having a window for Roll20 open; the dice roller open; rpg addicts open; the SRD's for the SNA's open, etc; would slow the work computer down to where it's teetering on crashing, taking all my work with it.  

I'm home now so I will get at posting.

Why not just roll in roll20? it is where the rolls were requested when the campaign started I thought.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 11-20-2016

(11-20-2016, 06:55 AM)Portho Nihilbuck Wrote:
(11-19-2016, 04:11 PM)Toot Wrote: Sorry about that...  I wasn't trying to be annoying by posting everywhere except for the current combat.  This is my weekend to work [I work overnights 99% of the time] and my work has a crappy laptop.  So having a window for Roll20 open; the dice roller open; rpg addicts open; the SRD's for the SNA's open, etc; would slow the work computer down to where it's teetering on crashing, taking all my work with it.  

I'm home now so I will get at posting.

Why not just roll in roll20? it is where the rolls were requested when the campaign started I thought.

DM Surrano has already said we can use The Unseen Servant or Roll20 when I first started this game and then he reiterated that The Unseen Servant could be used the last time someone brought up this question.  So unless he has changed his mind, I will assume his answer would be the same: We can use Roll20 OR The Unseen Servant.

The reason I prefer The Unseen Servant is because 1) I'm more familiar with the site since I use it for my games; 2) I am not familiar with the macros on Roll20 mainly because I rarely ever play on Roll20 anymore.  I think maybe once or twice in this entire year. 

(And I wonder whose fault that is, hmmm??? Dodgy  )

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Silent Giant - 11-21-2016

(11-19-2016, 08:48 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: To the cloak-shaped wisp of smoke you mean?

Tapatalkkal küldve az én ALE-L21 eszközömről

Yeah, and of course he says "Witchcraft!" in this situation

RE: Chapter 1-9: Circle of Hate - Torin - 11-22-2016

http://www.superdan.net/gaming/dnd3/spellar/images/rad10_as.gif

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 11-22-2016

DM
(11-22-2016, 08:55 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: OOC @Torin - Last round the bisons kept attacking the warriors because Torin cannot communicate with them (correct me if I'm wrong). Thus, they attack the "nearest opponent of the caster" (I treat it as "nearest opponent it can reach" otherwise they would've just stood beneath Cloak's feet)

The prone warrior stands up nimbly and avoids three of the five incoming blows. Still, the dire wolf tears at its bones mercilessly and one of the thoqqua burns it as well. Stepping out of the ring (to Torin's place) it swings at Lugar with an unexpected move and its finely crafted scimitar slashes deep through the surprised Lugar's defenses (AC 40 crit confirm AC 40 -17hp)

Giant's turn!

OoC1: I didn't do any research beyond reading the spell but it sounds like the summoned monsters automatically know who your opponents are and they attack them to the best of their ability.  If you can't communicate with them then that's all they can do.  Though as a DM, I might allow the caster to point at specific target for them to attack.  So the creatures would attack anyone Torin considers a foe with Portho at the top of that list.  

OoC2: I asked this one already but I haven't seen an answer yet.  When the Thoqqua drilled through the floor, which would damage the magic circle on the ground, did anything happen?

OoC3: Because the Dire Wolf succeeded on his AoO, I was going to ask about the trip attack dire wolves get when attacking.  But apparently AoO's happen before the action.  So the Dire Wolf can't trip someone who is still considered prone.  To me it doesn't make much sense.  Lets say the skeleton is surrounded by Dire Wolves and they all get an AoO.  Not one of them can stop him from just standing up in the middle of them [Unless they killed him of course] and walking/running away because they have all used there one AoO for the round.   Dodgy  I assume this is done because it wouldn't be much fun being on the receiving end of constant trip attacks but it still doesn't make much sense.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 11-22-2016

1. The spell uses the term "communicate" which may involve body language and motions in case of an intelligent monster. and honestly I haven't thought about it. I considered that Torin cannot speak with animals. A celestial bison has Int 3. Does it qualify for nonverbal communication?
Maybe a similar question; if a tamed or domestic animal hasn't been taught to follow orders by hand sign (like, a "trick" it could learn one sign to "attack" etc) then would it understand why its master raised its hand with all but one finger closed?
AFAIK most if not all animals if you point at something they think you want to draw their attention straight to your fingertip. Just like infants. Smile

2. Sorry didn't miss the question but did miss the answer. I believe that the first time it came up we agreed that Toot cannot be sure how good an idea that would be but if he ordered the creatures to do so later then they would've been damaged by the process before even scratching the surface. What would a summoned creature do in that case? Continue the attempt at carrying out the order given or stop right there and then and look at the master quizzically in expectance of confirmation?

3. That's an interesting point you brought up considering the order of events, yes. What's more, I was pondering about whether standing up from prone would be part of movement or not since the warrior in question has Mobility (+4 dodge AC) but since none of the attacks would end differently with or without the +4 dodge AC it became irrelevant. From feasibility point of view; the dire wolves couldn't trip a prone opponent trying to stand up but they could try to grapple it or similar. Alternatively, intelligent creatures hunting as a pack could share parts of their tactics like three tearing at the opponent while prone (and AOO as standing up) while three others just guarding, readying an attack in case the creature wanted to leave that square. If the creature crawls; well that's AOO plus the readied attacks. If the creature stands then steps away then there go three readied attacks with the potential to trip. Just a few ideas.

This whole restricting mobility thing brought up my memory about freedom of movement which, in my interpretation, is quite powerful (maybe even broken?) for fourth level since its recipient can move in water unhindered and can't be paralyzed, slowed, held, or otherwise kept in place, including being grappled, let alone pinned.

(11-22-2016, 09:55 AM)Torin Wrote: http://www.superdan.net/gaming/dnd3/spellar/images/rad10_as.gif

RAW, "The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection"
i.e. zero dimensions, zero area.
but it's lame that you are not exactly the center of the spell, and it's also interesting if you are smaller than small, occupying less than one square. Maybe you are in the middle of a square; which grid intersection is it, then?
So I understand the idea of using a 25 square feet (to be more exact, 125 cubic feet) "spot" as point of origin but I fail to muster the willingness to find out how "official" this source is.
I use the center of the token instead which is quite intuitive IMO. With the token having a "radius" of 2.5 feet, you simply subtract 2.5 from the intended radius and there you go.

Not aware of 3.5 (or 3.0 for that matter) defining any optional rules for "yourself" as POO having more than 5 ft space but PF does define it as extending outward from the boundaries of the creature's space which sounds intuitive but brings up the issue of large creatures affecting a waaaay larger area. (note that the original definition is equally bogus for creatures being larger than the entire area of effect). Honestly I don't have a solid concept on that aspect yet but I'm fine with anything having no more than 5ft space to have the POO for any emanation centered on them from the middle of their space.

One more thing. Bisons have space 10' means 2x2 squares not 2x1 what I used in the ongoing battle... so they are quite squeezed together there but let's gracefully ignore that for this battle... will handle it properly next time.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 11-22-2016

One can always "handle animal" or "push" summoned animals to act as desired. Should be easy for a Druid. I believe it's a move action.

Lugar drops the hilt then. (Worthless piece of crap Smile lol

Here's one for you, if Portho is speaking does that count as hearing Bardic Music? :p

I feel that Mobility should apply to all AoO. Makes it a worthwhile feat on its own.

As absurd as it seems I think PfE should act as a creatures presence, like it works in PF. So larger creatures would have a larger presence.. Makes it easier to calculate the field at least.

Like, a colossal dragon is more frightening than a medium one? Makes sense for frightening aura, sure, and maybe for any ward as well, including MCaE.... not necessarily generic for all emanations, though.