RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 08-22-2016

(08-22-2016, 01:25 PM)Torin Wrote:
(08-19-2016, 03:15 PM)Silent Giant Wrote: Ah, so I am a human guard. But which city?

Maybe you should be a pride orc guard from San Francisco:

Big Grin
[Image: gay_orc_by_naadir-d1gkddm.jpg]
No, this is not that game... besides it's a "human" guard.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 08-22-2016

(08-22-2016, 02:33 PM)Toot Wrote: Well I withdraw my request for the snake swiftness spell...

If any class has 9 spell levels of casting then spell casting is a primary class feature...

When confronting Torin and Portho I did feel a little at a disadvantage.

The spell is on the respective lists as I wrote. Whether Toot prays for it or not is up to you.

By "their primary class feature" I meant "the" primary class feature for them. No spontaneous casting, no wild shape or turning, less combat prowess etc. And while what you wrote about damage potential is true I still don't feel it as their purpose. Besides, we are talking about buffs, right? And if some then priests (as per the 2ed sense of the term) and bards should be buffers, more than magi. And paladins.

As for your feeling of disadvantage. Yes you should feel that whenever you are confronted by a party of same level but twice the members (2on1)... add to this that both of them are dnd veterans (not that you'd be a noob either). I personally reckon Torin's player as a power gamer and this character is no exception of his character building skills, exploiting the very limits of a dwarven cleric's potential...

So briefly put. Once it comes to PvP comparison I will compensate as I see fit. Just make sure you are the best roleplayer of the group and gods will favour you when it comes to character specific part of the treasure Smile

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 08-23-2016

(08-22-2016, 01:25 PM)Torin Wrote:
(08-19-2016, 03:15 PM)Silent Giant Wrote: Ah, so I am a human guard. But which city?

Maybe you should be a pride orc guard from San Francisco:

Big Grin
[Image: gay_orc_by_naadir-d1gkddm.jpg]

You know that Orc guard has got your back! Smile

(08-22-2016, 02:33 PM)Toot Wrote: Well I withdraw my request for the snake swiftness spell.  I honestly didn't think it was going to unbalance Toot but if you think it will then I'm fine with that as I wasn't trying to give him any special advantage.

(08-19-2016, 08:03 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: A quick note before the decisive list. The druids' (and clerics' and etc...) spells are so much weaker than wizards' and sorcerers' because it's not their primary class feature. You play your druid exceptionally, very cleverly utilising spontaneous summoning and very convincing on tactics. I don't have the feeling here that you would be any less powerful than any of the other PCs.

I respectfully have to disagree.  If any class has 9 spell levels of casting then spell casting is a primary class feature.  If you meant that it is not a class feature for clerics and druids to blow things up as well as wizards/sorcerers then I would agree more so for clerics than druids.  Due to their elemental natures druids sit between clerics and wizards for damaging spells.  It's why spells like Firestorm are given to druids before for clerics.

If I play Toot well, it has nothing really to do with core Druids being so powerful that they wouldn't need some extra spells to round them out.  I just love spellcasters and I like to try to think outside the box when using their spells.  When confronting Torin and Portho I did feel a little at a disadvantage.  I'm sure that disadvantage would have been more pronounced if they knew I was a threat and really did want to kick my ass.

I have to say that my favorite classes are Rangers and Druids, I also have an affinity for the straight Fighter. Druids are powerful! Like Hurricanes and Mountain Slides powerful! But that's not why I love them so much. An old and wise Druid, wearing only a loin cloth, of sufficient level vs. a fully decked out Fighter, even Cleric, should win hands down with one simple spell, Summon Nature's ally. (not going to get into Animal Growth Big Grin) Fear the Dire Wolf, especially 1d4+1 of them. They can surround an opponent, attack, free trip attempt... oh and they are large and nasty.... Add "snake's swiftness mass" to that recipe, well you get the point Wink The druid's animal companion doesn't even have to do anything. It all comes down to action economy, if your opponent is wasting their actions defensively just to get up, the fight is already over. But in the real imaginary world...

There are many circumstances where having animal companions or summoning would not be beneficial. Animals are dumb and will have difficulty dealing with magic, unfavorable locations, like caves, chasms, water, or other things like fire, and social interactions of course. I could go on but I forgot why I started typing to begin with.

I can't wait for Lugie and Toot to be friends...

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 08-23-2016

(08-23-2016, 03:38 PM)Lugar Wrote: I have to say that my favorite classes are Rangers and Druids,  I also have an affinity for the straight Fighter.  Druids are powerful! Like Hurricanes and Mountain Slides powerful! But that's not why I love them so much.  An old and wise Druid, wearing only a loin cloth, of sufficient level vs. a fully decked out Fighter, even Cleric, should win hands down with one simple spell, Summon Nature's ally. (not going to get into Animal Growth Big Grin) Fear the Dire Wolf, especially 1d4+1 of them.  They can surround an opponent, attack, free trip attempt... oh and they are large and nasty....  Add "snake's swiftness mass" to that recipe, well you get the point Wink  The druid's animal companion doesn't even have to do anything.  It all comes down to action economy, if your opponent is wasting their actions defensively just to get up, the fight is already over. But in the real imaginary world...

There are many circumstances where having animal companions or summoning would not be beneficial.  Animals are dumb and will have difficulty dealing with magic, unfavorable locations, like caves, chasms, water, or other things like fire, and social interactions of course.  I could go on but I forgot why I started typing to begin with.

I never said druid's weren't powerful.  Just that their core spell list sucks all kinds of ass!  And remember, this is not a normal game.  We will be spending much, if not all, of our time underground which 3.5 druids are ill suited.  Heck, they don't even get dungeoneering or geography.  The idea of summoning 1d4+1 dire wolves sounds fantastic until you realize it's likely there won't be any room to summon 1d4+1 size large creatures.  It's why I stuck with a Medium Black Bear and didn't take the more attractive Brown Bear.  I have to always think about being able to squeeze my way through narrow passages or I could lose my companion.  So many of Toot's coolest and most powerful abilities are really diminished in the underdark.  When I chose the Druid Class I really didn't grasp how challenging playing one underground was going to be, especially with adding on top of it, I'm a size Tiny creature who can't get into melee with anyone unless I want to spend my entire time in another form which doesn't seem like much fun when thus far I've roleplayed primarily with myself.  But all that being said, I do enjoy role playing Toot.  Even if most people don't seem to understand why he gets so worked up about things.   Dodgy

Quote:I can't wait for Lugie and Toot to be friends...

Uh oh...  Why?  Or should I ask?

True true. Well I imagine Toot might know a few critters with potent poisons Smile Besides, the uglies should stick together!

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 08-24-2016

HA!  Toot will like having Lugar around just so he doesn't have to be the 'Ugly one' of the group!    Tongue

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 08-24-2016

Giant is the champion of ugliness and disgustingness Smile

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 08-24-2016

Who would have thought some one with a 7 and 5 for charisma would have greater competition for who's the ugliest.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 08-24-2016

Actually you three are not only ugly but start as favorites of any a$$hole competition as well, with quite some roleplay gems from all three of you Wink