RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 06-29-2016

Now I really have to watch this movie Smile

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 06-30-2016

(06-30-2016, 07:35 AM)Torin Wrote: OOC -  "Best bet is to drag a stick with Light cast on it at the end of a 10ft rope, so there is at least a 10ft displacement between the source and the party."

Aside from the fact that the whole spell description is a mess:
Quote:If the recipient is a creature carrying gear, that vanishes, too.
(...)
Items dropped or put down by an invisible creature become visible; items picked up disappear if tucked into the clothing or pouches worn by the creature. (...)
Any part of an item that the subject carries but that extends more than 10 feet from it becomes visible.

Does the stick qualify as gear in the first place?
How about living plants carried? They are not items, are they?
Does dragging it along qualify as dropping it, thus becoming visible?
Even if not, will the stick be invisible if it's 9.9 feet from you?
If you drop your light mace of continual flame which is a piece of your gear (which is an item) it will become visible. Will it become invisible if you pick it up and wield it? I mean the initial condition of "carrying gear" is not valid for "new" pieces of gear so the light mace is no more than an "item picked up" at this point.
Will it be invisible if you tuck it into your clothing then wield it again?

So I'll use common sense, generally along the line of "carrying an item", regardless whether it's "gear" or not; whether you carried it when the spell was cast or picked up later. Thus, you can't play the "item floating mid-air" trick with invisibility but this is the best I can think think of as consistent usage.

But let's return to the main point.

Say, I'm invisible and hold a rope in my hand which is therefore invisible.
I wrap my rope around a 6000lb statue. Will the statue become invisible as well if it fits within 10 feet?
How about wrapping the rope around one of my comrades?
Sure, comrades are hardly qualify as "gear" or "item" (unless it's an animated object, a living construct, etc) but does a statue qualify?

May I say that the stick is "carried" by the rope and thus it's not your gear?
Then what's the statement about the sword "carried" by your scabbard that is "carried" by your belt that is "carried" by your robe?

So I suspect there's no single "right or wrong" answer. Just guessing that in a tight situation I'd say "yes" for the stick and "no" for the statue Smile

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 07-01-2016

I'd be more afraid of the big bad Orc than old Grey Grumpy the Dwarf!

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 07-01-2016

Maybe so but I think Grey Dwarves have a nastier reputation.  But don't worry.  I just included him too.  I need something to boost my skill check any way I can.   Tongue

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Silent Giant - 07-01-2016

Half-human Smile

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 07-01-2016

Even a full-bred orc has LA +0 while a duergar has LA +1. Need to tell more?
BTW the smaller you are and the bigger the opponent is the more likely it will disregard you completely, like a huge giant ignoring a tiny creature, even if it's a fey.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 07-01-2016

Good points. I think we should all be afraid of the rat swarm though Smile

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 07-06-2016

Can SG and I hear the intense conversation going on outside the lobby/foyer? I don't want to meta game but Torin and Toot have mentioned Duergar a few times, that may piss Lugar off or cause him to disguise himself. Depends on what he's heard...

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 07-06-2016

Lugar heard the Undercommon outburst but could not understand it due to splashing water. He could not hear the rest as they were whispers, some 60 feet away, with a stone wall (and a bear) in-between.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Silent Giant - 07-06-2016

(07-06-2016, 07:09 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: Lugar heard the Undercommon outburst but could not understand it due to splashing water. He could not hear the rest as they were whispers, some 60 feet away, with a stone wall (and a bear) in-between.

Stone wall but the door is open. Wink

Did SG hear something too or Lugar only?