RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 06-16-2016

Concure!

Interestingly enough, the rope of climbing can hold 3,000 lbs, if we can attach one to an animated cart we have ourselves a tow-truck! Then get out of the adventuring business.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Torin - 06-16-2016

(06-15-2016, 06:34 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: Also, have you read Chainmail Bikini? (The comics)

You called it quits still I'm interested in what is it you disagree.
I never heard about this comics, I will read it.

If you forbidden something as a DM e.g. elven race, climbing speed, speed in caltrops field, some spells, adamantine weapons special ability, ... then I will accept it (maybe I will hate you and try to convince you).

But you try to use our world's behavior to a world which belong to the fantasy realm. In this realm there are other races: elven, dwarven, dragons, ... the magic is not a fiction, ... and - if we use the offical rules - the stone is so soft as the butter if you use adamantine tools/weapons, but has got much more HPs. The stone will became to dust or break up small rocks if you hit with an adamantine maul/pick.

We use a modelling system which made our's game much easier and also much more unrealistic. For example all weapon same useful against any armor.
(There are bigger and smaller weapons, so there are bigger and smaller damages but no other differences.)
So in this game an adamantine bludgeoning and piercing weapon is almost the best tool to crumble stone walls. A non-magical adamantine weapon wooden parts will not break because everything is so soft as a butter (because you can ignore the hardness).

If you didn't like this then you can change it by house rules. You must reason outside of game borders.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 06-16-2016

Re admt There's a neat quote in Draconomicon, will look up when I'll have time. Essence is that admt is hard as diamond but more flexible I.e. the shaft absorbs shock which happens to coincide with real life. Take it as a house rule if you wish but I still prefer to call it clarification. E.g. will an admt mace cut a rope easier than a pewter knife? Nope. Not suitable for the job and I think someone already pointed this out that this aspect is mentioned somewhere the rules.

Re butter heart no, it's just me eager to reward unique solutions. A chance of one in 36 million sounds feasible but secretly I want it to happen Smile

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 06-16-2016

Kacdaninymila, young adult gold dragon Wrote:“Just like a humanoid to quote three facts, get one of them wrong, and then draw an unrelated conclusion from the lot."

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 06-16-2016

I think DM meant stale. As in stale bread.

In case I'm unable to post the next few days, all my possessions I bequeath to the first unsavory looter after I die Smile Just kidding.
If his plan works, Lugar will try to take the sword hilt and withdraw out the door. If he's unable to exit, hide/invisibility and wait till it follows or goes after the others.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 06-17-2016

Has it ever occurred to you that slow cuts your speed in four? Normally, this construct may move 2x20 feet in a round. Now it can move 1x10. Luckily, it can still make a 5' step and anyway can reach the entire round room without moving from the center. ..

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 06-17-2016

I wasn't going to say anything but I decided I will...  Tongue   Personally I think I would have allowed the Morning Star to break up the stone.  Morning stars are Bludgeoning AND Piercing weapons.  So even if you don't agree with the Adamantine Morning Star smashing the stone, its piercing qualities and the ability to ignore damage reduction of Adamantine would literally act like the stone was made from cheese.  And since Adamantine ignores damage reduction, the stone wouldn't even dull the spikes on the head of the weapon.  The hole wouldn't be pretty -- imagine using an ice picks on a block of cheese -- but it would eventually rip it up enough to hold water.  As for breakage, weapons in D&D never have had to check for breakage unless they are attacked (sundered) or damaged by a spell. 

Anywhoo, that's just my two cents.

As soon as you work stone with a weapon it stops being a weapon. It's a tool. Are there regulations on stuff breaking during craft? Or a bridge breaking if you put too much stress on it? No? Yet, may it happen?

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 06-17-2016

Even if you want to look at it as it is now a "tool" even though you are attacking the stone, how often do wooden handled weapons break?  People use blunt sledge hammers to break up stone that have wooden handles.  Also due to the weapon being made from adamantine (and also considered masterwork) he doesn't even have to hit the stone hard because it would be like the rock was made from cheese.  Since the spikes ignore damage reduction, he could just scrape the stone out using the spikes, kind of like a cheese grater.  Much like Wolverine just slashing his way though anything with his Adamantine claws.

We have not discussed probability in any extent beyond the question whether it should be 0 or more. Since axe shafts break occasionally while chopping wood (same hardness as shaft) I dare say the chance is higher when metal meets granite and the shaft is still the hardness of wood.

I disagree with the butter knife sentiment. Scraping causes 0 damage if you insist on handling it as a weapon and counts as improper way of using an inappropriate tool if you consider crafts.

By the way this sheds light on another aspect. A masterwork weapon is not necessarily a masterwork tool of trade.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk