RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Silent Giant - 05-11-2016

(05-10-2016, 08:29 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: In this sense rolling is something like a tumbling maneuver but I'm glad we are on the same page.

I agree. Rolling is like tumbling (or acrobatics in PF).

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Torin - 05-11-2016

(05-11-2016, 06:49 AM)Silent Giant Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 08:29 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: In this sense rolling is something like a tumbling maneuver but I'm glad we are on the same page.

I agree. Rolling is like tumbling (or acrobatics in PF).

rolling:
[Image: rolling.jpg]
The babies first movement method is the rolling. They start to move in this style between 4th and 6th months.
So I think it is the easiest way to moving and you don't need to take tumbling checks.

english post about babies

hungarian post about babies

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 05-11-2016

That's a valid point about babies and rolling, Torin, however they aren't wearing full plate or carrying 30 pounds/kilograms of assorted gear on their bodies. Not to mention they don't roll in combat, on uneven ground, or through giant cobwebs. I will concede they can roll down hill very easily though I haven't seen it done Smile

I agree with Giant and Surrano about rolling being akin to tumbling or acrobatics in game mechanics terms.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 05-11-2016

Well what my actual intent was with rolling is that IF it is different in any way from crawling is that it's kind of a dodge maneuver you see in martial arts movies or K1 or whatever when the prone figure rolls away from the way of a blood-and-meat air-ground missile just in the last moment so that the missile cannot react and thus the attacker loses its advantage because both of them need the same time to scramble to their feet. For such a maneuver you need some skill, definitely. But for moving around, being lame and prone to attacks, it's the same as crawling so let's agree there's no such movement maneuver like "rolling".

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 05-11-2016

(05-11-2016, 02:41 AM)Lugar Wrote: Nice role-playing Toot by the way.  Found myself cracking up when it wiped it's butt off with the Unicorn's hair.  Just so wrong.

Thank you.  Being what PBP is, I can't tell if people are enjoying Toot's actions or if they think it's not funny and inappropriate to be making jokes about farts and crapping himself.  But Jermlaines are dirty little creatures. They cohabit with rats so they have no problem with traveling where rats go, like sewers.

And I keep imagining that when the spell ends, the unicorn vanishes and reappears in it's native forest.  Then it suddenly realizes it's covered with Jermlaine droppings.   Ewwwwww!  Tongue

(05-11-2016, 01:35 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: Well what my actual intent was with rolling is that IF it is different in any way from crawling is that it's kind of a dodge maneuver you see in martial arts movies or K1 or whatever when the prone figure rolls away from the way of a blood-and-meat air-ground missile just in the last moment so that the missile cannot react and thus the attacker loses its advantage because both of them need the same time to scramble to their feet. For such a maneuver you need some skill, definitely. But for moving around, being lame and prone to attacks, it's the same as crawling so let's agree there's no such movement maneuver like "rolling".

The only maneuver I know of for getting quickly to your feet is, Kip Up.  I think it's in the Complete Adventurer and it lets you stand from a Prone position with a DC 35 tumble check.  Which is ridiculously high when you think about all people who have learned to flip back to their feet in the real world.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 05-11-2016

I didn't mean a roll "defensive maneuver" would help you getting up quickly. What I meant is that you move just enough sideways for the guy jumping on you to fall on the ground instead (but you still stay prone)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 05-12-2016

Ok, then perhaps you could handle it like a bluff.  Making the target think you're too slow or too week to move out of the way when actually you're bluffing and may make a immediate 5' 'step' if you're successful.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 05-12-2016

"If he drops on me, I roll sideways in a surprise manner, thus avoiding AOO".
In this case I would call it a readied tumble action.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 05-16-2016

neg.energy vs knowledge explained.

What I meant originally, and all the way through, was that a DC10 check is sufficient for an untrained character to have a generic knowledge of what negative energy is, or where does it come from.
- Religion tells it is used by some undead;
- Planes tells it comes from an inner plane of existence.

So Toot knows that Boo was affected by negative energy in some form but cannot tell the specifics. This is exactly how to interpret "be it energy drain or ability damage" as far as my English knowledge goes which, unfortunately, is short of native dialects and slang. In other words, Toot realises it is negative energy regardless of the exact type of the attack. Naming those two forms were for the sake of example and though OOC you are probably confident about the nature of the attack I did not intend to state that it's not some third form.

Without getting into rules lawyering an untrained knowledge skill with DC10 is for "really easy" questions which, in cases of
- Religion: tells the names of the greater deities and
- Planes: tells a generic image of the cosmology (i.e. the types of planes: material, inner, outer and possibly transitive); likely the names of the four elemental planes and maybe the two greater transitive planes (ethereal and astral); and maybe one or two traits of elementals and outsiders.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Portho Nihilbuck - 05-16-2016

For standing from prone there are two better features than the DC35 Kip Up. But since this is a core rulebooks only game I had assumed such things were completely off limits. If we were using books beyond the core books Portho would be an entirely different scale of power at this level.

The Skill Tricks from Complete scoundrel.. both of which have Tumble minimum skill requirements.

Nimble Stand
Requirements: Tumble 8 ranks,
Benefit
You can stand up from prone without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Back on Your Feet
Reuirements: Tumble 12 ranks
Benefit
If you fall prone for any reason, you can stand up as an immediate action without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Skill tricks require spending 2 skill points to learn the trick, then each trick you know can be used maximum of once per encounter.