RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 09-10-2018

Sorry for the absence, my office at home is in ruins. give me a day or three to recover a stable desk and stuff.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én ALE-L21 eszközömről

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 09-10-2018

No problem!

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 09-13-2018

No worries. What happened? Kids? Tornado? Flood? Get carried away with a battleaxe?

Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 09-14-2018

Sanitary painting Big Grin

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 09-21-2018

Since our wizards are MiA, how are we going to try to speak with the Dragon?  Out of all the PC's, Torin has the highest Diplomacy (+7) so he should take the lead in any negotiation.  

As for bluff, it seems Lugar (+4) has the highest score.  Toot could summon a Satyr that has a Diplomacy of +3 and a Bluff of +9.  As for Summon Monster spells, Mephits are actually not too bad with a Diplomacy of +4 and Bluff +8.

Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 09-21-2018

Wow, I would've never thought of summoning monsters for diplomacy. I'm not sure it would work though, RAW at least. What is it you want to achieve? You explain it to the summoned creature then let it negotiate with the beastie. Since diplomacy needs at least 1 min interaction and I presume you also need at least as much to explain your goal to a satyr then you need 20 rounds with extended summon being 16 rounds, right? Unless, of course, explanation is something simple like "convince him not to attack us". But without knowing the background of this heated relationship I would assume the diplomat is unprepared, shooting around a bit randomly, trying to pick up information on the fly (like, sense motive, bluff)
So yes, go ahead and try, I can't see how things would go any worse than currently is Smile

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 09-21-2018

First, I did forget to delete the "Absorbs 96points."  I originally had the actions in a different order but I switched the bottom two because I thought it would be more organized if my action to myself were together.  I'm weird like that.

Second, the summoning spells states: "If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions."  There is no limit on what actions they can perform.  I only just thought of using the Summoned creature this way tonight, while I was trying to figure out how to talk to the dragon.  Desperate times require desperate measures.  I try to be resourceful and use every tool at my disposal.   Big Grin

All that said, I'm also waiting for what the rest of the group wants to do.  Torin still has a better Diplomacy at +7 than anything we can summon.  If we need to bluff, then perhaps a Satyr might be a good idea.  And unlike Diplomacy, Bluff is only a Full round action unless it's elaborate.  If the bluff fails then we tell the dragon it was all the Satyr's fault and when the dragon breathes him for his insolence, the Satyr does his best impression of a waterlogged Wicked Witch of the West!   Tongue

Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 09-22-2018

I get that using a skill check works RAW and diplomacy/bluff are no exceptions. But you cannot order the summoned creature to "roll for diplomacy/bluff". You can order it to "convince the dragon not to attack" and the creature may decide what's the best way to achieve that goal. Whether it will be a roll, a roll of what, and with what mods, it's at gm's discretion. The best similarity I have in mind is UMD and activate blindly. A weaker similarity may be to treat deadly wounds with no healing kit. You can try it, sure, but with no bg info it's kind of difficult. Yeah, it's a green dragon, haughty and aggressive and they are a bunch of... mostly humanoid... people, and we seem to be underground. Is it the dragon's lair? Was there some event that led to the current situation? Questions unanswered...

Thinking about it, it's possibly not about the satyr getting minuses. Rather, it's about him not getting a bonus the party might have. So once again, it works, even though it's not necessarily optimal.

Behind the scenes, I'm still contemplating what to do with Lugar's natural 20... expect some fun :-)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 09-22-2018

A summoned creature is suppose to do what the caster wants them to do to the best of their ability.  Even sacrificing their life if told to do so.  I understand that in some cases they may not have all the pertinent information so they might not be as effective such as names of important people, places or things.  But most of the time requests will be pretty straight forward. Like, telling the Satyr that if we don't bluff our way past a huge monster the brute will smash us into goo, would probably be motivation enough for the Satyr to try his best to succeed.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 09-22-2018

Lugar isn't horrible at bluffing (+4) but honestly is the best policy right?? We need to make a magic item, "The Conch of Charisma," who ever has it speaks for the partySmile