RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Torin - 06-13-2017

I put it to IC thread, so IMHO Torin asked it IC Big Grin .

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 06-16-2017

(06-16-2017, 02:35 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: To make it clear: Shanna has probably never sensed an aura of this strength in her life. Even if there's another aura it is surely suppressed by this overwhelming one. (see more in OOC thread)

The strongest she'd probably encountered is Universal Solvent but this thing is much stronger. Universal Solvent is CL20 (which is a joke, by the way). Technically, the term "overwhelming" in description of Detect Magic means CL21+, i.e. a true artifact.
She could not identify the school with 100% certainty either which suggests that her spellcraft roll (24) is smaller than the DC (15+CL/2), suggesting CL>=20.
Hint in spoiler tag.
Think about one extremely powerful Abjuration spell that may apply to the situation and apply some metamagic feat(s) on it to make effective spell level greater than 9.

I could give another hint, a much stronger one, if any of the characters would have the chance to actually realise that IC.
If any of you have any guesses what the item is, write me privately.
While I don't think the party (or any of the fey folk) could figure it out IC, players might still be able to guess right and I'm thrilled to see if some of you can, without ruining the "surprise" for everyone else. This is valid later on as well, as you will meet some clues which I won't emphasise but they will be there.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Shanna Rendin - 06-16-2017

I can think of several very powerful Abjuration spells that would apply to such a situation. Bumping them over 20 is kinda moot as the number does not change. Really, the only question is which one. It could be Mind Blank. It could be Prot. from Spells, Freedom, Prismatic Sphere, Mage's Disjunction, Antimagic Field, etc.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 06-17-2017

I haven't the slightest idea what you guys are talking about.  I know about the Orbs.  I've read the books and have DMed/played some of the Dragonlance adventures.  But I feel like I missed part of the conversation about the other stuff.  Not an uncommon thing, I might add.

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Toot - 06-17-2017

[OoC: I haven't looked around yet for anything specific.  Likely Pathfinder has some herbs and alchemist items that may help in the search.]

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Silent Giant - 06-17-2017

OOC1: They must have some placeberry Wink

OOC2: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321350-Herbs-and-spices, (Goldencup, Fool's Weed)

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - DM Surranó - 06-17-2017

Great find!

I'm ok with both of these Giant mentioned, will come up with quantities on Monday.

I encourage everyone shuffling through this page, vast knowledge there.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én ALE-L21 eszközömről

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Merrinna Starsong - 06-18-2017

DnD has never been huge on herbs. Rolemaster and MERP from Iron Crown Enterprises covers herbs quite nicely. That could be a nice source if anyone has access to the books.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 06-19-2017

(06-18-2017, 06:56 AM)Merrinna Starsong Wrote: DnD has never been huge on herbs.  Rolemaster and MERP from Iron Crown Enterprises covers herbs quite nicely.  That could be a nice source if anyone has access to the books.

Which is unfortunate.  If a DM decided on playing in a low or no magic world, herbs would be important.

But I did find something pretty cool.  It's a PDF of a D20 book from Bastion Press called, Alchemy & Herbalists.  You can find it >> Here <<.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 06-19-2017

Having a look at the whole book I think they exaggerated it a little. Created three prestige classes for alchemy, distinguishing DC depending on which skills you have (and not only which skills to use)...
But considering that the idea itself of using herbs in this setting is worth the acknowledgement and reward. Therefore, I allow access to all the herbs listed in Chapter 5 (Herbal Catalog) with the following conditions:

1. Cranberry has
- 100% chance of having 4d4 doses of any common herb,
- 100% chance of having 3d4 doses of any uncommon herb,
- 50% chance of having 2d4 doses of any rare herb and
- 20% chance of having 1d4 doses of any extremely rare herb.
These chances are for herbs that are both:
- temperate or warm AND
- plains, forests, marshlands, hills, or related to freshwater (coast, bank, water itself, etc).
Halve the chances for anything else (e.g. mountain forests, cold plains, temperate mountains, underground) but the amount remains the same.

2. The party may nominate the herb, roll the chance (for rare and up), then roll the amount. No retries, i.e. the whole party may roll only once for any given herb.
Whatever Cranberry doesn't have cannot be found in Crystal Grove or anywhere near.

3. Plants that cost less than 1gp a dose are free of charge for the first half of stock.
Anything else (second half of stock and 1+ gp per dose) need to be paid for.

4. Once you nominated the herb I will review it to make sure I know what you have. I'll try my best not to veto anything Smile