RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Torin - 04-21-2017

(04-21-2017, 07:43 PM)Silent Giant Wrote:
(04-21-2017, 06:34 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: I remember the game but can't recall what Giant's player played.

EDIT: ooooh I got it. but may be spoiler for others....
A certain small halfbreed who had a certain wild cat fur vest...

I can remember a game a long-long ago with few black unicorns but I don't know what was the result of the game and what was my character.

I also remember another two games, one where was a lake with a Giant Turtle (soup) and a lake with a Hydra.

My druid was the main healer, cos our DM's didn't allowed to sync or chars. This was a one shoot game which took two long days in a weekend. So you will came with a wizard who had got a pently healing potions and there was a much better an elan psion with "summons" than your's wiz.
DM Rodrick was also there, but I don't remember to his char.

The hydra was in Gertom's game where you played a dragon controller aasimar priest via by artifact and put your shield other to my bladesinger. This was our longest common game. Only one player and the DM remained when we, ht and haffy joined to the  game with 6th level chars.
We stopped it around level 11, cos the original player Akos moved to Budapest, ...

I didn't remeber the turtle, you played it wo me.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Portho Nihilbuck - 04-21-2017

(04-21-2017, 06:15 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: Portho?

I have nort had time to research (full time job witha  50 hour work week, plus a family that needed my attention)

My personal thoughts are that it would silence anything you are doing, like snapping your fingers, rustling clothing, beating your chest like an ape. As well as sounds made by you contacting something, slapping a wall, punching a foe, etc.. But any sounds from obhects/people that are indirect would still happen, so you would need to excercise cautuion. Smashing a door would stll cause teh lod crack of the wood splintering, but not the thuid of you hitting the door in the first place.  So a snapped twig is not siomething I wouild argue.. but would hope people still excercised caution.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 04-22-2017

I think it's a problem similar to invisibility. "Everything you carry". But what do you "carry"? Whatever you touch? Like, a wall, or the very ground beneath your feet? It's easy to use common sense there but what about Sculpt Sound? And especially, what's the difference between a step on a pavement and a step on loose gravel or autumn forest soil with all the dry leaves and twigs?

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Silent Giant - 04-22-2017

I think invisibility is a bit easier. As you said you can use common sense. You don't carry a wall and the ground Smile
Target: You or a creature or object weighing no more than 100 lb./level

Sculpt Sound is transmutation not illusion like Silence or Invisibility, only targets of the spell are transmuted, affected by the spell. So targets don't make noise but twigs can. And you also can activate a trap which one makes noise.

But SS is a high level spell only available for bards (7-8.lvl bard), so if you can't use it for scouting it is almost worthless. So I support this kind of usage. Okay, it is not worthless, if you drop it on an enemy spellcaster Smile
Alternative usage: if the target uses move silenty ("You can move up to one-half your normal speed at no penalty") then it can omit twings Smile

I have found only these:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?123782-Sculpt-Sound-usage-questions
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481089-Sculpt-Sound
https://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-499353.html
Use Magic Device is a no-brainer. So's Sense Motive and Listen (and Hide - Move Silently can be faked using Sculpt Sound).

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 04-24-2017

I found those same pages.  One of those people says, the whole person must be silenced while another says, you can fake Move Silently with Sculpt Sound.  So for what little information there is about Sculpt sound, it's interpreted different ways.

Upon reading the spell a couple of times I noticed one line that seemed to stand out...

Quote:A spellcaster whose voice is changed dramatically is unable to cast spells with verbal components.

This would seem to indicate that you can cast the spell on JUST the voice of a target.  If it meant the whole person who you target was effected it should have said, A spellcaster who was effected so that every sound he made was changed dramatically would be unable to cast spells with verbal components.

Personally, I don't think silent PC's are over powered.  They can still be detected in other ways.  And players have to remember that the enemies can use the spells in the same way.   Big Grin

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Merrinna Starsong - 04-25-2017

I don't understand the dilemma with silence. Maybe I'm missing an earlier post, but silence is an area effect spell that can be centered on any target. You could fire a tow missile at a one-man band having a seizure in the back pew of church without disturbing a quiet prayer. Now if you're targeting an ancient red dragon that is much larger than the AoE, can you still hear it fart after a midnight Taco Bell run during a bean burrito sale? Maybe not but you would definitely know it happened.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 04-25-2017

Tongue

It was actually Sculpt Sound we were discussing.  Silence came up because iit was being compared to Sculpt Sound.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 04-28-2017

(04-28-2017, 04:18 PM)Portho Nihilbuck Wrote:
(04-28-2017, 08:00 AM)Toot Wrote: "Me do have a spell to Resist different types of Energy but you must pick ONE type of energy.  And me only have ONE spell, until tomorrow when Toot can memorize more."  Toot's voice trails off as he adds, "So spell will only effect one person..."  Toot didn't think he needed to say that the one person the spell would protect would likely be him.   

"Me have no problem trying to befriend more animals for Portho to talk to," Toot continues.  "I of course could talk to them too but we can't allow Toot to hog all the glory.  We must give Portho something to do other than sing uplifting little ditties."

"Me can also summon creatures to scout and me can turn into inconspicuous bird to scout too."  Toot then turns his head to look at Portho expectantly, waiting for him to finally offer to do anything.

..."I of course could talk to them too but we can't allow Toot to hog all the glory.  We must give Portho something to do other than sing uplifting little ditties."...

Portho mimics Toot.

"That would waste one of your spells, which you could use to summon a creature instead, like you said. It's not hogging teh spotlight, it's saving resources..!! And my poetry is not 'little ditties' ..."

as he says the last his bottom lip is quivering...

[OoC lol Wis9 is fun]

Haha, love the banter! Now knock it off you two! Wags finger admonishingly. Tongue

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 05-03-2017

About crawling I think RAI for woodland stride and trackless step is that the druid can choose a way to pass, e.g.by avoiding soft soil or stepping on grass that remains laid on the ground, or carefully moving harmful briar out of the way. Crawling is not that subtle or graceful.

So, generally, whatever makes sense. Crawling may make sense on hard ground covered with nothing but the most enduring moss but not on a grassland.

What do you all think?

Tapatalkkal küldve az én ALE-L21 eszközömről

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 05-03-2017

I think you are right about trackless step and woodland stride in your description. It clearly says "you move without impairment" through all those nature things that would get a normal person hung up on. Trackless step is like the next level, you are so good and swift moving through nature that you don't even leave a trail. If the average person sees a bush move or a branch swing it'll look like the wind blowing it and not a druid that did it.

To add to all that, he's Tiny, blades of grass and twigs are like branches and ferns to him. In this case, crawling would help him and I think it is more fluff than anything. I know lying prone gives certain modifiers to different attacks. His feet are so small that tracks and flat grass mean even less than him. On the other hand, he's so small, does he even know where he's going? Can he see over the steering wheel? On trackless step, I think a character leaves marks, but they can't be tracked by those marks, they just blend right in to the surrounding.

About crawling not being subtle or graceful, I disagree. Snipers and most predators do it all the time, because it is subtle.