RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 04-12-2017

(04-12-2017, 01:18 PM)Toot Wrote: Toot eyes the scroll while feeling its thick soft texture between his tiny finger and says, "Rusting Ass?"  He blinks at the identifier and adds, "Me no think Toot likes sound of that... OH! GRASP!  Oh... that sounds safer.  Me not have to worry about a rusty ass if accidentally activated scroll when cleaning up sticky.  Since me can already cast Rusting Grasp, me not need to keep scroll..."  Toot rubs the fine vellum between his fingers again and whispers, "Me think Toot keep this for special occasion.  Like after fighting big scary monster like an Itchy Dragon.  Toot will need special paper after that."  

Ludgar Wrote:OoC: it's probably better that Toot didn't know he had TP on his person. I just thought of a terrible DnD joke- What is the worst scroll to use to wipe your arse?
Burning Hands! I told you it was terrible.
[OoC2:  Tongue   Somebody better convince Toot that saving the scroll might be of more use.  He does have a huge wisdom so it's doubtful he would be that wasteful.  However, if it were an emergency...  Tongue ]
[Back to the Present...]

According to Wikipedia, the mention of the use of paper for wiping butts was documented in China around 600 AD.  Toilet Paper  But modern rolls weren't invented until 1857.  I will never forget when my 9th grade history teacher asked the class what people used before the invention of TP?  The look on everyone's faces was priceless, we never considered life before toilet paper :Tongue According to him, that's why we shake hands using our right hand instead of the left, because that was for wiping your bum.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 04-12-2017

(04-12-2017, 03:07 PM)Toot Wrote: This is for Pathfinder but I think it makes sense.  This DC is for anyone who has Handle Animal or Wild Empathy but if that seems too powerful, limiting it to just Animal Companions would be possible too.   It was pretty crappy that Boo, who's not just an animal but a loyal companion, became completely useless in that encounter with the Specter.  Sad

This is for PF, yes, and I could introduce such a house rule for this game but I won't. The cool thing about unnatural aura is that it does this with animals on purpose Smile

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 04-12-2017

(04-12-2017, 04:22 PM)Lugar Wrote: According to Wikipedia, the mention of the use of paper for wiping butts was documented in China around 600 AD.  Toilet Paper  But modern rolls weren't invented until 1857.  I will never forget when my 9th grade history teacher asked the class what people used before the invention of TP?  The look on everyone's faces was priceless, we never considered life before toilet paper :Tongue According to him, that's why we shake hands using our right hand instead of the left, because that was for wiping your bum.

Some groups of people in the world still use their left hand with water in this way? The thought of toilet paper seems dirty to them because bits can be left behind and TP doesn't do as good a job of cleaning the left hand and water.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Silent Giant - 04-12-2017

SG uses leaves instead of TP Smile

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Torin - 04-12-2017

(04-12-2017, 05:40 PM)Toot Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 04:22 PM)Lugar Wrote: According to Wikipedia, the mention of the use of paper for wiping butts was documented in China around 600 AD.  Toilet Paper  But modern rolls weren't invented until 1857.  I will never forget when my 9th grade history teacher asked the class what people used before the invention of TP?  The look on everyone's faces was priceless, we never considered life before toilet paper :Tongue According to him, that's why we shake hands using our right hand instead of the left, because that was for wiping your bum.

Some groups of people in the world still use their left hand with water in this way?  The thought of toilet paper seems dirty to them because bits can be left behind and TP doesn't do as good a job of cleaning the left hand and water.

Corncob. My mother used also that in 50s 60s.

http://farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2016/05/02/what-did-people-use-before-toilet-paper/

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Lugar - 04-12-2017

(04-12-2017, 06:35 PM)Torin Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 05:40 PM)Toot Wrote:

Some groups of people in the world still use their left hand with water in this way?  The thought of toilet paper seems dirty to them because bits can be left behind and TP doesn't do as good a job of cleaning the left hand and water.

Corncob. My mother used also that in 50s 60s.

http://farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2016/05/02/what-did-people-use-before-toilet-paper/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwid-e-2xp_TAhXHDsAKHcspB44QFggXMAQ&usg=AFQjCNGd9_E8KT6NUyOa74wipvycdCXeKg

Lol, yes, all so true.  Oh the fun reads in the OoC thread Big Grin   I guess that's why prestidigitation is a universal spell. "These hands are for casting the mightiest of spells! I never touch the sticky!" - So says Mordenkainen the wizard as he casts his spell to clean his bum.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 04-20-2017

A question about sculpt sound. I haven't checked the details before but this time I did. What the description says,
SRD Wrote:You change the sounds that creatures or objects make. You can create sounds where none exist, deaden sounds, or transform sounds into other sounds. (...)

My question is about what is the intended interpretation (RAI) of "sounds that creatures or objects make".
I mean that the spell is cast on the party members, and when a subject of the spell kicks up pebbles or breaks a twig then is it the character, or the pebbles/twigs that make sound?
I'm not saying (at the moment) that the spell is overpowered. My instant instinct is to compare to Extended Silence which is same level but waaay more restricted, probably beyond comparison (emanation and not subjects; much less duration; and cannot pick what to deaden and what to keep).
So...

Are there similar spells with similar effects whose power levels are comparable?
Is there a FAQ, errata, or other official article explaining "Rules As Intended" here?
I leave hunting for clues to you. Any insights are welcome, and a proper argument (pro/con) is worth that particular "OOC XP" I mentioned earlier.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Torin - 04-20-2017

(04-20-2017, 07:02 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: A question about sculpt sound. I haven't checked the details before but this time I did. What the description says,
SRD Wrote:You change the sounds that creatures or objects make. You can create sounds where none exist, deaden sounds, or transform sounds into other sounds. (...)

My question is about what is the intended interpretation (RAI) of "sounds that creatures or objects make".
I mean that the spell is cast on the party members, and when a subject of the spell kicks up pebbles or breaks a twig then is it the character, or the pebbles/twigs that make sound?
I'm not saying (at the moment) that the spell is overpowered. My instant instinct is to compare to Extended Silence which is same level but waaay more restricted, probably beyond comparison (emanation and not subjects; much less duration; and cannot pick what to deaden and what to keep).
So...

Are there similar spells with similar effects whose power levels are comparable?
Is there a FAQ, errata, or other official article explaining "Rules As Intended" here?
I leave hunting for clues to you. Any insights are welcome, and a proper argument (pro/con) is worth that particular "OOC XP" I mentioned earlier.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?123782-Sculpt-Sound-usage-questions

It's bardic exclusive spell. So it should be compare with a 4th level spell.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - Toot - 04-20-2017

I have searched and have found very little information on how Sculpt Sound works.  I would imagine that anything touching the character affected would be muted.  So if you were holding a glass bottle and broke it the bottle wouldn't make any noise.  But if you were to throw the glass bottle against a wall it would make then make a noise.

The only thing I wonder is if you can effect just part of a person or if you have to effect the whole person.  Meaning if you silence someone then you silence everything including their voice.  But then I guess you could cast the spell on everyone's boots so at least they didn't make noise while walking.

As for the Silence spell, it may not be as versatile but it also mutes all noise in a 20' radius.  If you cast Silence on a living target (which would be stupid) there is a save throw.  Sculpt Sound would always require a will save throw (usually a caster's best save) if you tried to mute a spellcaster.  But the best use of the Silence spell is to just cast it on an object.  Then you can either put it in your pocket and just move with the caster where ever they go.  Or cast it on the tip of an arrow and shoot the caster.  One thing I did to the party was have an evil cleric cast the spell on one of the many pebbles 25' away so only his square had sound.  He could cast all the spells he wanted to and they couldn't cast any.  Even if they cast Detect Magic (which also has a verbal component), it would take at least 3 rounds to find the location of the magic aura and that's only if they are pointing the cone in the right direction.

RE: Return to the Rusty Rat - DM Surranó - 04-21-2017

Portho?