RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
~Character Construction/ Creation~ - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Super Hero Games (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Marvel Super Heroes (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Forum: Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters (GM Marvel) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+----- Forum: Information (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+----- Thread: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ (/showthread.php?tid=82)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - James Carter - 05-03-2016

Don't do that! You have a great character idea! Have you thought of lowering some FASRIP abilities to gain the powers, even at low levels? After all it's all about the mutant owners right? Maybe it's the inner Trekkie in me but the power combos reminded me of the empath in Star Trek that would absorb the damage from others then heal rapidly. Pretty cool stuff.

RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - GM Marvel - 05-04-2016

Keep in mind that you can use karma to gain powers. I would also allow you to upgrade lesser powers with karma too

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - Johnny Blair - 05-04-2016

(05-03-2016, 11:41 PM)James Carter Wrote: Don't do that! You have a great character idea! Have you thought of lowering some FASRIP abilities to gain the powers, even at low levels? After all it's all about the mutant owners right? Maybe it's the inner Trekkie in me but the power combos reminded me of the empath in Star Trek that would absorb the damage from others then heal rapidly. Pretty cool stuff.

Ok,  I'm lowering some of them anyway. But I can still keep the character concept intact while changing the powers themselves. 

(05-04-2016, 01:40 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: Keep in mind that you can use karma to gain powers.  I would also allow you to upgrade lesser powers with karma too

He does not have a whole lot of Karma right now.  That would be great for the future.

RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - Johnny Blair - 05-05-2016

Sorry for double post. PHB says that Empathy and Telepathy are similar except for a couple of ways. Can an Empath take similar power stunts, like the mind blast, and such. I figured that the Empath version would be overloading his target's mind with emotions to the point that it becomes physically painful.

RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - GM Marvel - 05-05-2016

I do not believe that Empathy was meant to be used to attack people. It's mainly a passive, reading emotions power and Telepathy is a reading thoughts and sending thoughts power. But I have often thought why couldn't a user be able to incapacitate someone with emotion. People have been known to faint from Fear or Anguish.

So, as I've said/posted about power stunts before, if you can come up with an idea for a stunt that makes any sense to me then go for it. In the Comics, Marvel has come up with some pretty crazy power stunts before especially for mental powers. So why can't we? Smile

Ok, understood. Thinking aloud, rearranging FASERIP has given him an extra 13cp to work with. Aside from loading up Intuition or one of his powers, what else could I put that in?

RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - Aurum - 05-05-2016

In my college psychology classes (yes, I play a telepath, and was a psych major. Fear me), I learned some interesting things about emotion, memory, and how we justify things to ourselves that don't fit.

For example, amnesia is often a loss of memory, but not the emotion associated with the memory. So someone with amnesia may be in love with someone they loved before, or in the case of loss of short-term memory, if you hurt them, they will forget that you did but still feel an aversion towards you.

Likewise, there's the Capgras delusion where the person will have the memories, but not the emotions, which they then justify as "This person is an imposter" or "I'm an imposter," or even "I'm actually dead." Just because the memories and lack of emotional response don't make sense together, we MAKE UP a reasonable sounding explanation, and believe it.

So... anyway... *done with being a psych geek*

Yes, lots of fun, weird things to do with emotions.

I see. But I also noticed you didn't exactly answer my question either. Wink

RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - Aurum - 05-05-2016

Oh. Didn't think it was my question to answer.

Well, I don't see any Contacts on your sheet. Given that he can manipulate the heck out of people, he'd probably have some of those, as well as potentially a higher Resources...

RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - James Carter - 05-06-2016

(05-05-2016, 12:17 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: I do not believe that Empathy was meant to be used to attack people. It's mainly a passive, reading emotions power and Telepathy is a reading thoughts and sending thoughts power. But I have often thought why couldn't a user be able to incapacitate someone with emotion. People have been known to faint from Fear or Anguish.

So, as I've said/posted about power stunts before, if you can come up with an idea for a stunt that makes any sense to me then go for it. In the Comics, Marvel has come up with some pretty crazy power stunts before especially for mental powers. So why can't we? Smile

To add to what Marvel says, and I am not the GM, but in my imagination Emotion Control runs a wide range of abilities and emotions limited only by practice and imagination. Inducing Fear, Awe, Happiness, Hunger, Anxiety, you name it, upon others or suppressing said emotions (zombie/computer)... maybe the force field vs emotions is redundant? Also have you looked into Limitations. Say, limiting your healing ability by having to take the full damage of a target. As if you had to take 30 points, not just 20 or 10. Or, limiting it's use by how many times per day you could use the ability. Even the Emotion Control could be active all the time, your feelings being constantly "worn on your sleeve" and subjected to others. FYI, limitations could add CP points at character creation. Just an idea.