RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
OOC - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Fantasy Games (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: D&D 2nd Edition (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+---- Forum: Ravenloft (GM Marvel) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=106)
+---- Thread: OOC (/showthread.php?tid=553)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: OOC - GM Marvel - 01-03-2021

(01-03-2021, 01:39 AM)DM Spiral Wrote: Finished up Elorics Background. It was fun to write.  

I'll start working on Reions soon. If you want to check over his sheet, I put the link in the signature. 

Also, if you'll still have me, there should be enough of Reion's background mixed in with Eloric's to drop them in at your convenience.

Ok, I will take a look tomorrow morning.

RE: OOC - Reion Hallowbrook - 01-10-2021

Background for Reion is done.

RE: OOC - GM Marvel - 01-16-2021

I read both.  They're very well done.  I will try to get you into the game as soon as possible.  It could be even tomorrow depending upon how much ground we cover.

RE: OOC - DM Spiral - 01-17-2021

Right on boss. No hurries. I'll keep an eye out.

RE: OOC - DM Spiral - 03-08-2021

@GM Marvel Something need doing or changing?  Or we just waiting on replies?

RE: OOC - GM Marvel - 03-08-2021

(03-08-2021, 02:57 AM)DM Spiral Wrote: @GM Marvel Something need doing or changing?  Or we just waiting on replies?

I thought there would be a little more conversation.  Your characters just spoke so I'm waiting for the original group to reply.

RE: OOC - DM Spiral - 03-08-2021

Gotcha. That's what I figured but I just wanted to be sure.

RE: OOC - DM Spiral - 06-13-2021

Due to his background, would Eloric recognize Vampire bites? Or know much about factual information about Vampires?  Granted he assumes Strahd sent those monsters to his village, but Honestly none of them would know for sure.  So I don't suspect he knows much more info about Strahd himself.

RE: OOC - GM Marvel - 06-13-2021

(06-13-2021, 02:53 PM)DM Spiral Wrote: Due to his background, would Eloric recognize Vampire bites? Or know much about factual information about Vampires?  Granted he assumes Strahd sent those monsters to his village, but Honestly none of them would know for sure.  So I don't suspect he knows much more info about Strahd himself.

I'm not sure.  If this was the 5e module I would say yes because from what I understand, in that module pretty much everyone knows Strahd is a Vampire.  But from what I've been able to dig up about 1e, the villagers don't know he's a Vampire, which is kind of strange.  Keep in mind this module is before the Demiplanes of Ravenloft so things are a little different at this time.  I'm trying to stay close to the 1e version as possible because that's the game the players signed up for to play.  But when you guys ask questions that aren't really covered in the original module I will use 5e material.  For example, at this time there is no mention of Vallaki and Krezk in this module.  They were added when Barovia was expanded for the Ravenloft Campaign.  But you do mention Vallaki in your background.  So unless there is some reason your characters really want to go to Vallaki, there will be no reason to go to the village. 

I don't think your background comes right out and says your wife turned into a vampire though it does say your parents etc were killed by Vampire Spawn.  Killing one of Strahd's vampires would likely piss him off quiet a bit unless the vampire was specifically created the vampire to screw with you and it wasn't someone he was actually attracted to.  

To me it doesn't make sense that at least some people wouldn't know about Vampires or suspect Strahd is a Vampire, himself.  When people start noticing bite marks on their neck or are using wards against Vampires such as holy symbols and garlic, you'd have to assume they're at least suspicious.  Also you guys aren't low level so I have to assume you have some life experience.  Even if a particular character hasn't met a Vampire in person, I'm sure they've heard supernatural tales of Vampires.  

I don't want to assume everyone knows all about vampires, I can give you all a Wisdom check to know something about them.  And I will allow Eloric a -2 Bonus to know more about Vamps because of his background.  So roll a d20 and if your result is equal or below your ability score you will know more about Vamps. The closer to 1 you get, the better the roll and a roll of 20 is a complete failure.  If you fail it just means Eloric has blocked out much of what happened that day AND he was hiding under hay so he didn't see very much.

RE: OOC - GM Marvel - 06-14-2021

I was looking at timelines and I came up with a few dates to get an idea of how much time has passed.  This may change in the new Ravenloft 5e book.  Vistani are apparently detached from the Timeline.  That's why the players can meet Madame Eva far past her death.

351 BC: Domains of Dread are formed with Barovia being the first
470 BC: Vistani appear and Madame Eva and Strahd form an alliance.
495 BC: Madame Eva murdered.  Madame Maruschka becomes the new raunie of the Zarovan tribe.
528 BC: Outlander adventurers (you) assault Castle Ravenloft and are destroyed.  (Or were they...  Dodgy )*
502 BC to 542 BC: Madame Maruschka dies and Madame Ilka becomes new raunie of Zarovan tribe.
735 BC: Date Curse of Strahd is set in. The 5e adventure.
740 BC: The Grand Conjunction ( the Great Upheaval) occurs.

*  I've been GMing with the idea that we aren't in Ravenloft yet.  Thinking that whatever happens in this module happens before Barovia is sucked into the Demi-Plane.  If you survive, I had an idea for possible further adventures in Ravenloft.  But I don't want to get too much into my ideas because it's a long ways off and who knows what might happen in the future.

What do the common people in Ravenloft know?  The common people of Ravenloft have a limited understanding of the world they live in. The Mists have the ability to manipulate the minds of most of the inhabitants of Ravenloft, and to implant false memories. For example, when a domain is first created, the Mists create a "false history", a fake past that is believed by all the people who were created with the domain. As such, common people will not understand the concepts of "domains", "Darklords" or the demiplane itself.

The Dungeon Master should adjust commoner knowledge to fit his or her campaign, but in general, the following are examples of what a common person would know:
  • The name of their "realm" and neighboring "realms", and the most important rulers of those lands.
  • Magic is an unfamiliar, dangerous thing that is best left to those magic-using types, who should be avoided.
  • Many dangerous creatures lurk outside their village; they will know some of the details of the most common animal nearby, and some details about a species of monster if it commonly preys upon humans.
  • Of the many dangerous creatures out in the world, there are a few that look like men. Some are called dwarves, elves, gnomes or halflings, though the differences between them aren't really clear. Some folk trade with these queer folk, but its safer to avoid them.
  • The land has always been the way it is now. Any talk about Grand Conjunctions or demi-planes is just a lot of nonsense - mostly from those magic-using types.
  • No one knows what's beyond the Mists, and no one wants to know.
  • From time to time, strange people might appear with strange clothes and languages, who might claim to be from some land far away. Its best to keep your distance from these people; they're often magic-using types, and always trouble.
  • The Vistani are a strange type of nomads who wander all over the land. Sometimes they put on shows outside of town. Some are thieves and conmen, and others can tell the future, but all have eerie powers.
Common knowledge varies from domain to domain; certain peoples have more experience with phenomena such as magic and divine clerics, while others do not. The following is a short list of exceptions to general knowledge:
  • The Vistani know a great deal about the demi-plane, including information about domains, darklords, magic, curses and many species of monsters. They will not, however, speak with the same terminology familiar to players.
  • The people of Darkon have more experience and comfort with demi-human races.
  • The people of Hazlan have more experience with arcane magic due to the number of wizards retained by their lord Hazlik.
  • Merchants and sailors may know a great deal about traveling through the Mists, as well as the mist-ways that link domains.
  • The people of Lamordia do not believe in the supernatural, nor do they believe in gods of any kind. They are aware of many scientific phenomena.
  • Some domains have an active clergy, and can produce priests with sufficient training and faith to use divine magic. In these domains, commoners may be more familiar with divine magic and healing.