RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
OOC - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Fantasy Games (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: D&D 2nd Edition (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+---- Forum: Ravenloft (GM Marvel) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=106)
+---- Thread: OOC (/showthread.php?tid=553)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: OOC - DM Vitkyng - 06-24-2020

n=New spells??? Cantrip is just a 1st level spell that once cast you can create minor magical efects for 1 hour per level.. no fuss, no need to come up with the 101 cantrips/orisons of 3.5/pf or even of the 5e spell and no need to come up with a progression for them.. on the other hands it does eat one 1st level slot,. But up to 1 hour per level of nonstop spell effects isn't bad f used creatively.

As a non spellcaster i am unaffected either way.

RE: OOC - DM Spiral - 06-24-2020

I mean, I'm super flexible.  So If you guys want to do it that way, awesome.  Obviously, you would need to broaden the scope of that particular Cantrip Spell as it's quite limited and relatively in-game useless.  But yea, I get what your saying. Taking up a spell slot was my first suggestion with that unique combat spell, though that could easily be added into the Cantrip Spell.

Oh, and it does effect you, LOL!  Considering it will be a mater of us casters helping your fighter by hitting an enemy with a minor but arguably more effective magical attack vs. hitting an enemy with a rock or a particularly well crafted stick when we're out of spells.

RE: OOC - GM Marvel - 07-16-2020

Sorry for being slow to reply.  Between work and trying to figure out my Artificer, I haven't had a lot of time focus on this game.

Re Cantrips:  I looked at the 5e cantrips.  At higher levels the cantrips are more powerful than 1st level spells like magic missile.  For example, Acidic Bolt can eventually do 4d6 piercing + 4d6 acid damage every round because cantrips never disappear from memory.  And even at the lowest levels, cantrips like Acidic Bolt can do 2d6 damage with a failed Fortitude save throw, all day long!  That's a significant boost to the power of Wizards!  I think it would unbalance the game and turn Strahd into a pin cushion.

I'm more inclined to go with the Pathfinder Cantrips.  They aren't uber powerful but you still can cast them an unlimited time per day.  The problem is, certain spells already exist at different levels.  Like the light spell is a 1st level spell in 2e but a cantrip in Pathfinder.  I'm leaning toward, if there are 2 spells with the same name, go with the 2e spell. Suggestions welcome.

Eloric Aetherion Wrote:5. I was going to use the ring of agelessness kinda like a curse.  Where the ring wont come off, (So he gives up a magical item location) It was the ring his wife gave to him, While he was off learning to control his magical gifts, their village was destroyed by Orcs. She was killed rather horrifically and she cursed him right before she died for not being there.  It was a death curse that said he'd see her death and experience how she died every night of his life, living forever with what he had done and never know peace. So he has nightmares of his wife being murdered and raped by orcs every time he sleeps. The only reprieve he has is if he is intoxicated or high, then he doesn't have the dream. He loved his wife dearly, and though the ring cursed him to never grow old and relive her death each night, he keeps it as a reminder of his failure. So even if he could take it off, he never tried. Sometimes she even taunts him in the dream. "If it's too much... you could just kill yourself."  Sometimes he actually considers it. 

The curse is interesting but I'm not a fan of 'roleplaying' drawbacks.  Basically you would get to be ageless while you role play, "Oh no's, I had another bad dream again.  I feel sad." Then there's no further affects.  In real life that would be a terrible curse but in a role playing game it's a curse I'm sure most players wouldn't have a problem being cursed with.  But I do have a couple of ideas.

Here is a couple of ideas I had because Ravenloft would love to screw with someone cursed.
How about, every time you look in a mirror you see yourself aging at an accelerated rate until you wither and turn to dust.  You would need to make a save vs spell or be affected by a fear spell for 1d4 rounds.  I was also thinking you could look young but if you age unnaturally you will receive the normal penalties but none of the bonuses.  You can of course still gain the bonuses for aging when you reach your natural age.  

Quote:Eloric's Energy Bolt 
Range: 5/10/15
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 hour/level
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None

This allows the wizard to charge themselves with magical energy of one of four basic types of energy; fire, ice, force or electrical. They are then able to launch bolts of that energy type at their enemies. This attack is subject to all the normal limitations of firing an object such as an arrow, a bolt, or a bullet at a target. This means, The wizard has to roll an attack check to hit with the energy bolt, as well as it is subject to resistances, cover, range, etc.  A successful energy attack deals 1d6 points of that specific energy types damage. This attack gains +1 to its damage every 5 levels. They can only utilize one energy type at a time. The Wizard may, with 10 minutes of uninterrupted concentration, change the energy type to any of the four listed. However ANY action other than complete silent mediation interrupts this process.

This spell is pretty good.  My only concerns might be the duration being 1 hour/level.  I think it would be ok as long as the elements didn't have any permanent effects.  Like the firebolt can't set stuff on fire.  I just think it could be too easily abused.  A wizard could spend hours setting an entire city on fire, or even Strahd's castle!  Also I don't think there's anything that compares to Force energy in 2ed.  I've read Magic Missile and it mentions nothing about any kind of force damage.  Spiritual hammer does mention force but not that it has any further effects.  Why not just stick with the elements and create Fire, Ice, Lightning and Earth.  The earth could create a small meteor that strikes with bludgeon damage.  

As for the additional magic items, I would prefer if we stuck with the items MiB offered.  I really don't want to go through a list of unique magic items from everyone's wish lists.  But I will think about maybe placing some of your suggestions in the game for you to find.  

Any items that were taken by players who are no longer playing are free game to take.  So the Bracers AC5 are yours.  As is the Potion of healing.

RE: OOC - DM Spiral - 07-16-2020

That's all good, I kinda figured.  

So, on the Curse. If we are talking about in game benefits, Agelessness (Or Endless) is the very definition of a role-playing quirk.  It has zero mechanical advantage unless you tack on (Cannot be magically aged).  Otherwise, it's relatively useless as we very likely will never cover enough time to make it matter and even then, it would still only have role-playing uses. With that in mind, I don't necessarily want to give Eloric a mechanical flaw while gaining absolutely no mechanical advantage. (Which I guess I kind of did by sacrificing a magic item slot, but...I don't really want to add on to that.) So as you said you're not a fan of Role-playing drawbacks anyway, I'll just keep it simple and leave it be. 

As far as Cantrips.  Honestly, my spell was my answer to the cantrips question.  The duration allows it to mimic the @Will use of a cantrip, albeit quite a bit weaker at lower levels.  This keeps the flavor of 2e nicely, while adding a touch more utility to my wizard.  So if you're allowing my spell, then we don't need to worry about cantrips unless you want to figure them out for your priest. As far as spending hours setting things on fire, the spell is direct damage with no DoT or AoE damage components, so it shouldn't be a worry as it just doesn't work like that. On the spells elemental types, I can totally change Force to Earth. I think it makes more sense anyway now that you mention it.

On the Magic Items. That works.  Placing the unique ones in game or allowing Eloric to create them at some time down the road is perfectly awesome. Thanks boss!

RE: OOC - GM Marvel - 07-18-2020

Quote:So, on the Curse. If we are talking about in game benefits, Agelessness (Or Endless) is the very definition of a role-playing quirk.  It has zero mechanical advantage unless you tack on (Cannot be magically aged).  Otherwise, it's relatively useless as we very likely will never cover enough time to make it matter and even then, it would still only have role-playing uses. With that in mind, I don't necessarily want to give Eloric a mechanical flaw while gaining absolutely no mechanical advantage. (Which I guess I kind of did by sacrificing a magic item slot, but...I don't really want to add on to that.) So as you said you're not a fan of Role-playing drawbacks anyway, I'll just keep it simple and leave it be. 

Being immortal does have benefits.  The whole not dying from aging or being magically aged is one of them.  You being immune to a ghost's main attack may not give you a huge boon in another game setting because you may never meet one.  But in Ravenloft, you will most definitely be encountering a ghost.  Probably multiple ghosts.  So it should be worth more than a sad post now and then.

Quote:As far as Cantrips.  Honestly, my spell was my answer to the cantrips question.  The duration allows it to mimic the @Will use of a cantrip, albeit quite a bit weaker at lower levels.  This keeps the flavor of 2e nicely, while adding a touch more utility to my wizard.  So if you're allowing my spell, then we don't need to worry about cantrips unless you want to figure them out for your priest. As far as spending hours setting things on fire, the spell is direct damage with no DoT or AoE damage components, so it shouldn't be a worry as it just doesn't work like that. On the spells elemental types, I can totally change Force to Earth. I think it makes more sense anyway now that you mention it.

It completely slipped my mind that 2e had a literal cantrip spell and didn't clue in when you said it takes a 1st level slot.  

In that case, we could just give all wizards either a free cantrip spell at half duration.  So 1/2 an hour per level to mimic the lower power of a 0 level spell compared to a 1st level.  If they want more cantrips then take the spell.  

Or

They can have a free cantrip spell that last 1 minute per level but they can split it up into 1 minute increments.  I kind of like this one because you rarely use cantrips for very long and it lets you split the duration for when you need them.

As far as your, Eloric's Energy Bolt, I keep thinking that 1 hour per level is too long but then I try to remember that really that's not much different than someone just buying and using a bow except they can use it for 24 hours a day and you can us it for 1/hr per level.  It's also more thematic for a wizard to be firing energy bolts.  So you can keep your spell buy I reserve the right to change my mind if for some reason it's causing problems.

RE: OOC - DM Spiral - 07-19-2020

You keep adding in ( Immunity to being Aged ).  That is not included in Endless.  Endless is only a RP flavor trait that means you don't naturally age.  It doesn't make you're immune to magical aging or aging attacks. Seems we are having a miscommunication there.  Regardless it's fine, I'll just drop it. 

And as far as the spell, that's perfectly understandable.

RE: OOC - DM Vitkyng - 07-19-2020

(07-19-2020, 12:17 AM)DM Spiral Wrote: You keep adding in ( Immunity to being Aged ).  That is not included in Endless.  Endless is only a RP flavor trait that means you don't naturally age.  It doesn't make you're immune to magical aging or aging attacks. Seems we are having a miscommunication there.  Regardless it's fine, I'll just drop it. 

Endless also means you never get the mental stat bonuses of aging, that might put the DM at ease.  because you are immortal you never adjust your perspective as mortals do.

RE: OOC - GM Marvel - 07-20-2020

(07-19-2020, 12:17 AM)DM Spiral Wrote: You keep adding in ( Immunity to being Aged ).  That is not included in Endless.  Endless is only a RP flavor trait that means you don't naturally age.  It doesn't make you're immune to magical aging or aging attacks. Seems we are having a miscommunication there.  Regardless it's fine, I'll just drop it. 

I like to help my players work out their ideas for their characters.  So I apologize for the confusion.  But the term Endless is not a term used in the rules and I can't read your mind.  

So, what it sounds like you're saying is, you just want your aging to stop.  But magical aging can still affect you like it does everyone else.  If that's what you're saying, then you're correct, that it doesn't have much, if any impact on the characters.  My only caveat is, you can't be 200 years old and gain all the bonuses from aging and not the negatives.  Your aging just stopped.  Like what Vitkyng mentioned, you never really adjust your perspective like mortals do basically because you're stuck in that moment where you f'ed up.

RE: OOC - DM Spiral - 07-20-2020

No it's fine brother, I'm not irritated or anything.  Sorry if it came off that way. The miscommunication I mentioned was on my part too.  So, no worries.  

And yea, Like, Vitkyng said, Endless doesn't let you get bonuses for old age as you are kind of ...stuck or at the least progress in your perspectives very slowly. 

So, if you want to do the curse in that fashion, and you're okay with the RP portion of it, then I think it would be cool and make for some good writing.

RE: OOC - GM Marvel - 07-28-2020

(07-20-2020, 09:49 PM)DM Spiral Wrote: No it's fine brother, I'm not irritated or anything.  Sorry if it came off that way. The miscommunication I mentioned was on my part too.  So, no worries.  

And yea, Like, Vitkyng said, Endless doesn't let you get bonuses for old age as you are kind of ...stuck or at the least progress in your perspectives very slowly. 

So, if you want to do the curse in that fashion, and you're okay with the RP portion of it, then I think it would be cool and make for some good writing.

We can do the curse that way, no problem.

DM Spiral Wrote:6. Oh yea.  I'll do up a Halfling rogue so even if we get another player who wants to play one... he can just be an extra blade.  Like you said earlier in the thread, we will likely need the extra firepower. 

Another player has asked to join.  They have inquired about a rogue but I think that might be because he either heard we were looking for one or read about it.  So do you still want to play a second character?  If you do, do you still want to be the thief or do you want to be an 'extra blade' as you mentioned.  I'm fairly sure the new player wouldn't care.  They just like playing some kind of martial character.