RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[IC] Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (http://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Dungeons & Dragons (http://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: 3rd Edition (http://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (http://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [IC] Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... (/showthread.php?tid=501)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38


Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - DM Surranó - 08-14-2017

Location: Koriolis' Lair
Present: All PCs including Lugar as DMPC

The party approaches the dragon's lair walking on the water's surface. In spite of Toot's concerns his grip on Boo proves sufficient to keep him from being washed away.
Behind the waterfall, the floor rises gradually and reaches the water level about five feet from what Shanna designated as a magical aura.

Within five feet, the cave entrance widens to a hall about forty feet in diameter, ten feet high at the walls, and about twenty feet high in the middle. The hall is obviously artificial, its walls draw a perfect circle (as much as naked eyes can tell). They are finely worked and the slightly domed ceiling also looks like a polished slice from a huge sphere. The floor, however, looks to be natural rock, with a thin layer of soil that hosts hundreds if not thousands of mushrooms about the size of Toot. They don't grow in patches; rather, they grow along lines that roughly resemble ring fragments and radial lines connecting such fragments. The outermost ring of mushrooms runs right along the wall, leaving maybe one foot space between mineral and live tissue. The five foot diameter middle of the circle is worn smooth. (OOC - illustration arrives later)

At the first glance of the scarce magical light the party dares to bring into this place of unknown magic it seems that the walls are decorated by murals all around. The details are too complicated to encompass the mural as a whole but from the nearest parts it looks like a series of merciless hunting scenes. Merri and Lugar notice that--
while the scene is rather merciless it's nothing like groups of noble people hunting for a sport. More like what a hungry predator would do. No large-scale slaughter or gleeful massacre, at least on this part of the hall.

The rumbling of the waterfall suppresses footsteps and regular speech so that stealth seems to be unnecessary luxury here. Giant and Shanna--
can hear some faint noise, like pebbles running down a rock wall, and something hard (stone or metal) screeching against stone, somewhere distant, but maybe just behind one of the walls. The noise is too faint and occasional to discern its direction, not to mention the rumbling of the waterfall.

The mushrooms look archaic and they have a piercing acidic smell. Torin observes that--
these mushrooms must be the ones that dwell in the upper reaches of the legendary Underdark, home of many sinister folks mountain dwarves have faced several times throughout history.
Toot thinks that--
the mushrooms are not toxic but hardly palatable, even for the rather accommodating jermlaine taste.
Boo sniffs the air and grunts--
"Smells like skunk piss.", indicating the mushrooms.



RE: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - Silent Giant - 08-14-2017

What is this screeching noise? - he asks

Is there another exit from the hall?


RE: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - DM Surranó - 08-14-2017

No exits visible.


RE: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - Silent Giant - 08-14-2017

Is this his lair? Where is he and his treasure? There must be an exit.

He is looking for more tracks.


RE: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - Shanna Rendin - 08-15-2017

Shanna frowns in thought for a moment, then she understands.  "This room is enchanted.  It must be what I was detecting before we passed under the waterfall.  Conjuration magic, teleportation to be precise.  We may need to seek...other means of passage..." She seems to trail off in thought.


RE: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - DM Surranó - 08-15-2017

Indeed, the strong emanation comes from the mushroom rings, but there's another, weaker aura on the whole entrance and the entire room, including the very spot everyone's standing now. Shanna still has some time left from her detect magic to turn around and identify the source: it comes from the waterfall itself! Some kind of transmutation spreads from the rumbling waters, along the entrance, and fills the entire hall. Shanna has never encountered such an effect: only the inner side of the waterfall is affected.


RE: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - Silent Giant - 08-15-2017

(08-15-2017, 01:09 AM)Shanna Rendin Wrote: Shanna frowns in thought for a moment, then she understands.  "This room is enchanted.  It must be what I was detecting before we passed under the waterfall.  Conjuration magic, teleportation to be precise.  We may need to seek...other means of passage...". She seems to trail off in thought.

Hm, very strange lair. What will happen if I pick up a mushroom?


RE: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - DM Surranó - 08-15-2017

"Ye sure ye wanna try that?" Lugar asks, frowning.


RE: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - Shanna Rendin - 08-15-2017

(08-15-2017, 06:12 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: Indeed, the strong emanation comes from the mushroom rings, but there's another, weaker aura on the whole entrance and the entire room, including the very spot everyone's standing now. Shanna still has some time left from her detect magic to turn around and identify the source: it comes from the waterfall itself! Some kind of transmutation spreads from the rumbling waters, along the entrance, and fills the entire hall. Shanna has never encountered such an effect: only the inner side of the waterfall is affected.

(08-15-2017, 07:32 AM)Silent Giant Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 01:09 AM)Shanna Rendin Wrote: Shanna frowns in thought for a moment, then she understands.  "This room is enchanted.  It must be what I was detecting before we passed under the waterfall.  Conjuration magic, teleportation to be precise.  We may need to seek...other means of passage...". She seems to trail off in thought.

Hm, very strange lair. What will happen if I pick up a mushroom?

Shanna waves her hand dismissively "That is not where we should be focusing our attention.  The true source is the waterfall itself.  The specific effect occurs only on the side we are currently facing.  Remarkable.  I have never seen any effect of its like."  She focuses on the rumbling, falling waters, trying to determine their magical effect.

[[Spellcraft to Identify spell in-place.]]


RE: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round... - DM Surranó - 08-15-2017

Shanna can't recognise the exact spell but it's something like Sculpt Sound. The rumbling of the waterfall is magically enhanced to dampen any speech in the area, making spellcasting with verbal components difficult if not straightforward impossible.