RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[IC] New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Fantasy Games (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: D&D 3rd Edition (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: The Company of Stalwart Adventurers (GM Marvel) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=65)
+----- Forum: Adventures (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+----- Thread: [IC] New Crobuzon & the World Beyond (/showthread.php?tid=475)

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - Betimi - 07-24-2019

Betimi as usual shows only curiosity not fear, you are not sure she is capable of experiencing fear.

"Commander," she says addressing Selina by her rank to maintain the crews discipline. "They seem capable of striking us with magic from this range already," 
She points up to where the lightning had struck the mast.
"While  out of range of our bows."

"Tactically we have only two options. We need to bring our ballista to bear, which means turning our aft towards them, making this a chase. For that we need to gain speed, perhaps a dive?  Our other option is to take the fight to them as fast as possible, before they destroy our vessel with lightning. Close the distance and board them."

"Those are the only two options before us. Maintaining this distance without returning fire means they will continue to strike our vessel with impunity."

"And bear in mind, whatever you choose, he seems to be able to listen through me. So I am going below and out of earshot until you call for me."

With that she makes quickly for the ladder leading below deck.

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - Selina Parcellus - 07-24-2019

[[Ah right.  Awesome, thanks!]]

Selina sneers at the response.  "Repulsive creature.  I do not submit.  I will come for you."

She then turns to Nang with narrowed eyes.  "Negotiate?  Negotiate!?  Do you think for one moment that something that hideous would truly seek to negotiate once in control of this vessel?  Their single sole purpose is to add more to their ranks.  It even said so itself.  No, my little friend.  There will be no negotiation.  I will drive my blade through its skull.  That will be my negotiation."

She knows that it is likely still divining her and does not seem to care.

Then Betimi voices her concerns and she nods in agreement.  Yes, those were their two options.  While she was more inclined towards the latter, charging the other ship and boarding it, she did not know how many of these...ab-dead were on-board.  From a personal standpoint, it mattered not to her.  She was only interested in eliminating them all.  But she could not lead men into battle based on emotion alone.

"Very well.  I will send for you when battle begins."

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - Betimi - 07-25-2019

"Not right before, I am at my best in ranged combat, somewhat closer than this though."

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - GM Marvel - 07-26-2019

To his brother's suggestion to use his dark knowledge ability, Nang replies, "They too far away.  Must be within 60' though not necessarily in line-of-site.  Also effect only lasts a minute.  Much too soon to attempt any such action."

(07-24-2019, 04:34 AM)Betimi Wrote: "And bear in mind, whatever you choose, he seems to be able to listen through me. So I am going below and out of earshot until you call for me."

Nang had been watching the spell effect very closely.   "No.  I not think that is the way this magic works.  I watched as they cast spell on your arrow.  The link IS with you but I do not think the link spell is an eavesdropping device.  It is strictly communication with you as a sort of operator.  I believe they can only hear what is either directed at them or conversation you allow.  So if no one is directing their attention to speak with the Ab-dead then they don't hear what is said unless you let it."

To Selina questioning Nangs negotiation tactic, Nang replies, "They obviously a race of intelligent beings.  Both the Captain and Simon wondered why they so far away from homeland.  Maybe there is more reason then just praying on living.  Kobolds are considered evil but my people are not.  Maybe they driven by something else.  Maybe there is something we give them they will accept.  So many possibilities and only a few of which result in them turning us into undead minions."

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - Betimi - 07-30-2019

At Nang's explanation, Betimi stops at the top of the stairs.

"Very well, I will make myself useful up here, but first..." She looks at Selina, "Well Commander, which is your command.. do we ram? Run? Or negotiate?"

"What we decide will dictate what I do next.. I can attempt to bind another vestige while we still have time.. changig my abilities.. Being bound to Leraje increases my ability as an archer, other vestiges make me a better negotiator, others an assassin, or lighting thrower.""

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - GM Marvel - 08-04-2019

[Bump]

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - Selina Parcellus - 08-04-2019

[[Sorry, got trapped in GRE prep last week and I'm at work now.  Will post ASAP.]]

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - Selina Parcellus - 08-05-2019

Selina takes a deep breath to calm herself, then casually turns her head over her shoulder to look at the still-smoldering mast, before turning back to look at Nang once more.  "Indeed, and if they wish to negotiate, why did they attack us first?  All undead are the same, regardless of the shroud they cover themselves with.  They have one, single, all-consuming drive: Hunger.  It is this Hunger which drives them to add to their number, which of course makes their Hunger grow once more.  I will not sacrifice the good men aboard this vessel to such a fate, even if it would get us a way home."

She then leans back up and moves over to the ship's captain.  "Captain, I have no desire to put you or your men under further danger, but I believe a strong offense will carry the day.  Regardless, I will also not willingly endanger your craft if it can be avoided.  If we were to ram that ship, allowing myself and these good soldiers the opportunity to board it, what damage would the initial offense action cause this vessel?"

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - GM Marvel - 08-05-2019

"I not saying the dead are going to be our friends.  But that lightning bolt that struck the mast could have just as well have been a fireball that could have torched everyone on deck.  If that happened, Nang not be here to advise you no more.  My brilliant existence cut short, no time to explore the universe, no time to smell the roses, no time for... mating!"  Shaking the horrible thought of his own demise out of his mind he adds, "Also the mast was damaged, not destroyed.  The Captain called the lightning bolt a threat.  I'm sure if the undead wanted to stop us it could likely muster up another damaging spell by now.  Whatever you plan to do just be careful.  Nang just recently emerged from the chrysalis.  I would like to experience a few more things before I go down in a messy blaze of glory."

When Selina asks the Captain about ramming the other ship, he replies, "That depends on the direction and speed we ram the other ship.  With them almost coming right at us, the collision would be head-on.  The damage could be catastrophic especially since we don't know what kind of defenses their own ship might have.  For all we know the bow could be fortified with an iron wood spell"

RE: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond - Betimi - 08-06-2019

At these suggestions Betimi merely waits patiently at the top of the stairs. IShe has declared that she will follow Selina in this, an her words bind her. Once the decision is made she will summon and bind whatever vestige will make her most useful.