RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[IC] Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [IC] Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees (/showthread.php?tid=471)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Shanna Rendin - 05-10-2017

Shanna, at this point, is fed up with the supposition.  They had had their fun playing around with dragon fantasies and it was time for her to finally speak up and provide some dragon facts.

"If you wished to know more about green dragons, all you had to do was ask me.  I have studied them and lore of them quite extensively, and I believe I have a fair grasp on what they are capable of.  Green Dragons do not, in fact, breathe poison.  They breathe a corrosive gas more similar to acid.  As far as swimming goes, Greens are adept swimmers, able to do so from their hatchling stage.  They even breathe water and are capable of using their breath weapon underwater."

She looks between each of the group members expectantly as she finishes her ad hoc lecture.

"Well?  I'm certain there is a good alchemist in this group who can tell us if acid can cause this sort of damage."  She points to the original scene they had found.

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Silent Giant - 05-10-2017

(05-10-2017, 01:14 PM)Shanna Rendin Wrote: Shanna, at this point, is fed up with the supposition.  They had had their fun playing around with dragon fantasies and it was time for her to finally speak up and provide some dragon facts.

"If you wished to know more about green dragons, all you had to do was ask me.  I have studied them and lore of them quite extensively, and I believe I have a fair grasp on what they are capable of.  Green Dragons do not, in fact, breathe poison.  They breathe a corrosive gas more similar to acid.  As far as swimming goes, Greens are adept swimmers, able to do so from their hatchling stage.  They even breathe water and are capable of using their breath weapon underwater."

She looks between each of the group members expectantly as she finishes her ad hoc lecture.

"Well?  I'm certain there is a good alchemist in this group who can tell us if acid can cause this sort of damage."  She points to the original scene they had found.

Wow, tell us everything you know about them. Maybe you are the right person to talk with him then.  Let's go closer to the lake and peek the beast.

Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - DM Surranó - 05-10-2017

Ooc - the lake is down there, you are up here... just in case it matters

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Lugar - 05-10-2017

(04-26-2017, 07:33 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: Shanna knows practically all the written lore (OOC - everything written in the MM) about true dragons in general, chromatic dragons as a subgroup, and green dragons in particular. Based on the descriptions the others gave she can also tell that a green dragon of this size is centuries old (OOC - Huge size, meaning at least Adult)

She also knows that dragons like to protect their lairs with deadly wards and while many sorcerers claim to have draconic blood in their veins, some dragons are said to alter their breath weapons mimicking how wizards and sorcerers alter their spells (OOC - metabreath feats), explaining how the burn marks could be mistaken for black dragon breath earlier.

She even recalls a famous quote from some archaic parchment, written by Aloysius Egon Greegier, an armchair dragon scholar,
Greegier Wrote:Dragons are scaly, they lay eggs, and they are utterly lacking in any mammalian  characteristics.  The  notion  that  they  are  warm-blooded is silly.
Rumour has it that his quote was commented by a golden dragon, Kacdaninymila,
Kacdaninymila said and not Wrote:Just like a humanoid to quote three facts, get one of them wrong, and then draw an unrelated conclusion from the lot.
Briefly put, "Never say never."

OOC - sorry but the dice said our resident loremaster has surpassed our resident bard in storytelling this time Smile

OoC - Shanna already told us all this information and we are beating a dead horse now. Here is a link to the SRD with the info the DM said we have. True Dragon SRD  I do like the role-playing though.  Smile 

"Enough of this, have we found out why the animals are running? Is it the dragon?  If so, lets go tell the old fruit, Cranberry, and see if she will tell us more it."  Lugar doesn't like the idea of wandering around a dragon's hunting area.  His eyes shift around looking for any signs that it may be near and hungry again.  Quietly he wonders how the fey have managed to live so close to such a legendary beast without being killed off.  Maybe they direct hapless adventurers with riches in his direction...  He tucks his mithril axe under his cloak.  ~I wonder if dragon's can smell gold~

OoC - Can I use my knowledge of poisons to identify the acid, and possibly it's strength? I believe the craft Alchemy skill overlaps with poisons, so I figured the opposite is true, that half the skill points would be used in such a check.

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Lugar - 05-10-2017

(04-30-2017, 05:37 PM)Shanna Rendin Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 07:33 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: Shanna knows practically all the written lore (OOC - everything written in the MM) about true dragons in general, chromatic dragons as a subgroup, and green dragons in particular. Based on the descriptions the others gave she can also tell that a green dragon of this size is centuries old (OOC - Huge size, meaning at least Adult)

She also knows that dragons like to protect their lairs with deadly wards and while many sorcerers claim to have draconic blood in their veins, some dragons are said to alter their breath weapons mimicking how wizards and sorcerers alter their spells (OOC - metabreath feats), explaining how the burn marks could be mistaken for black dragon breath earlier.

She even recalls a famous quote from some archaic parchment, written by Aloysius Egon Greegier, an armchair dragon scholar,
Greegier Wrote:Dragons are scaly, they lay eggs, and they are utterly lacking in any mammalian  characteristics.  The  notion  that  they  are  warm-blooded is silly.
Rumour has it that his quote was commented by a golden dragon, Kacdaninymila,
Kacdaninymila said and not Wrote:Just like a humanoid to quote three facts, get one of them wrong, and then draw an unrelated conclusion from the lot.
Briefly put, "Never say never."

OOC - sorry but the dice said our resident loremaster has surpassed our resident bard in storytelling this time Smile

((Wow...I totally and completely missed this post.  I'm assuming Shanna relays all of this to the group as it is pretty critical in nature.))

Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - DM Surranó - 05-10-2017

Sure you may recognise that something chemically affected (poisoned) the plants with a decent roll.

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Shanna Rendin - 05-10-2017

((Somehow doubt this is enough for that...))

Craft(Alchemy): [1d20+4] = 3+4 = 7

Shanna looks at the scene of altered vegetation. It doesn't look good...but she has no basis for comparison nor context to judge what might have caused this sort of...change.

Lugar takes a minute to examine the damage caused by the acid and it's relative strength compared to the various poisons he has researched.

Craft Poison = 30 (rolled a 20 of course)

OoC - I'm trying to add to the Shanna's knowledge of dragons.  If Lugar could give a comparable assessment of the strength of the acid, similar to the size of the tracks that tells how Huge the dragon is and it's age, then we may narrow down just how old and powerful the dragon is.  I'm not expecting to get the answer "the acid does 8d6 damage" but that would be nice to know too Smile

OoC - If there is any left, which I doubt since the carcass is several days old, then Lugar may try to collect some for hard locks and such.

RE: Chapter 2-4: You Hear Them Whispering in the Crowns of the Trees - Silent Giant - 05-10-2017

(05-10-2017, 03:42 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: Ooc - the lake is down there, you are up here... just in case it matters

Yeah, we are in a wrong place, we are in his pantry now.

Can we see the cylinder from the edge of the plateau? Are we near the top of waterfall?

The waterfall is maybe 200 yards away and in spite of the trees you can clearly observe the cylinder through a fortunate opening.

Lugar cannot assess the true strength or collect samples because it's just the corroded remains that's here, the gas did not collect into wet patches for example.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én ALE-L21 eszközömről