RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[IC] SOLO - Toot's Adventure - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [IC] SOLO - Toot's Adventure (/showthread.php?tid=179)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - Toot - 05-17-2016

[OoC:  I don't know if you were already making the rolls but I forgot to mention that Boo has Listen 4 and Spot 4. So he should be also making perception checks. But more significantly, Boo has the Scent ability which allows him to automatically detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes and (because he has the Track feat) track by sense of smell.]  

Scent:
A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.

The creature detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scent’s source, the creature can pinpoint that source.

A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.

Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing creatures that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily.

False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.

Toot hears the noise and quietly presses his tiny finger against his lips to quiet Boo.  Hearing the quick steps sends Toot's heart racing in panic.  He had come down here thinking that he could defend himself and already the first monster he has encountered almost slaughtered him and possibly maimed Boo for life.  Who knows what this thing is that is trying to sneak up on them.  It could be one of those Itchy Dragons his master warned Toot to stay away from.

"Nononono," Toot whispers in Boo's ear.  "It looks like choice is made for us, Boo.  I think we go up!"

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - DM Surranó - 05-17-2016

Ooc will reply this and your pm in 36h

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - Toot - 05-19-2016

Toot had lost his patients with this place.  It was obvious that a greater power than himself did not want him to explore any further.  

So Toot summons an earth elemental [2nd level spell] and asks it to point out the easiest and most direct route to the surface.  [7 rounds]  They weren't too far from the where they entered the tunnel so Toot didn't think it would take too long.  Or if for some reason it can't get to the surface, it's to at least get them as close as possible with the end point located in Soil and not stone.

Then when it returns, Toot uses his Rod of Extend to summon a Thoqqua [3rd level spell; 14 rounds] and asks it to create a tunnel in the direction the Earth Elemental indicated that is at least wide enough for Boo to squeeze through.  If it can make it Boo's size than that's even better. Toot tells it to start on the side of their current tunnel so Boo has no trouble getting into the new tunnel the Thoqqua builds.

Then if all goes well, they will wait until it's cool enough and begin the slow climb [Taking 10] up the shaft.  [I think you said they can move up to half their speed with two move actions?  Both have a move of 40' so that would be 10' per move action.  At least I think...]

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - DM Surranó - 05-19-2016

Toot did not have to send an elemental to the surface to tell how far abovehead it was. He knew it took about six rounds for the previous one to return, i.e. 120 feet upwards; or 240 feet if the elemental was earth-glide-running. A burrowing thoqqua could get there in the same time (or double the time since can't run while burrowing), making it possible to dig the distance three to four times.

While waiting for the thoqqua to finish some bug began munching on Toot's brain. How could he hear footsteps echoing through hard rock if the creature was incorporeal?
There had to be other, corporeal creatures there, and since he hadn't seen any other ways down there they must have passed all along this tunnel that has a dead end.
Or did the druid miss something? Maybe giving up underground life for the surface took his innate edge of getting around in tunnels?

Anyway, the thoqqua made just enough turns for Boo to safely squeeze through. So they bid the magma worm farewell and waited for the rock to solidify and cool down. They heard hisses of evaporating water from above and as soon as the stone got cooler, drops of hot water started to collect into a puddle at the bottom of the tunnel. It was wet outside. Possibly raining.

By the time they got to the surface the sky was dark but the moon hid behind clouds. The white sun was about two hours to rise.
Peeking out at the edge of the tunnel Toot can see a wide circle of trees around a flat, wet area. Only the immediate vicinity of the tunnel exit was dried by the heat.
Beyond the trees to the south Toot spots a bush that would appear natural for the casual observer but not for the druid. That was a well disguised hideout of some creature.
Looking northeast he spots a copse of trees atop a mound.

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - Toot - 05-19-2016

If the sun was going to come up in a few hours, that meant Toot was well overdue for sleep.  He needed to change his spell selection to give Boo the best chance of survival.  If Boo didn't fully recover, Toot would have to retire his friend.  He didn't want to, but in Boo's weakened condition Toot couldn't in good conscience subject Boo to more of the kind of danger he would face while traveling together.  Boo would be better off living a peaceful life of foraging and munching on salmon.  Toot would come visit him and help Boo with any other bears that tried to take his territory.  

The bush wasn't something Toot was really interested in at this time.  He was depleted and Boo was weakened.  Going to investigate the strange shrubbery would be selfish.  Boo likely just wants to sleep and get better.  But if he didn't check it out then it could turn out to be dangerous while they slept or it could be gone by the time they woke up.  Decisions... Decisions...  

Toot looks at Boo and says, "Boo Stay!  Toot go look.  If Toot need help then you come running."  The Jermlaine knew Boo couldn't understand most of what he had said but Toot still tried to treat him like he did.  Boo was truly the only Big thing Toot trusted.  Even though he was a big scaredy cat down in the tunnels.

Toot decides to change into a baby halfling.  His encounter with the Specter showed him that creatures in this area have a strange unnatural fear of the magic power of Gnomish Toddlers.  Who knew?  

He then carefully moves through the grass toward the shrubbery.  [Hide +15; Move silently +3] 

[To speed things up, do you want me to make these rolls?  Some DM's like to make them so the player doesn't know how well they did.  And why don't tiny creatures get bonuses on move silently?  Since there are no size modifiers for move silently that means an colossal dragon makes as much noise as a flea.   Dodgy ]

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - DM Surranó - 05-20-2016

[I can make the missing rolls, I usually do to speed things up. Interesting point about MS and size, though. I'v always thought there was such a thing... but indeed there isn't. Add to this how much ranks a colossal dragons may put there and you get the gold dragon illustration from MM Smile ]

As Toot approaches the shrubbery, a leather clad woman exits the shrubs and hurries towards the infant halfling, smiling but Toot can easily see the concern in her eyes.
The woman seems to be a half-elf, around his forties, stout with tanned skin, shoulder-length raven black hair tied up to a knot. She wears leather armor over the leather clothing but doesn't have any apparent weapons other than a vicious hunter's knife dangling from her hip. Toot spots two necklaces around her neck; one featuring a series of fangs; wolf or small bear probably; the other a silver semicircle. That may be either a crescent moon or a sickle.

"Here, kiddy, how'd you get this far from home?" she asks in a tone that's clearly an attempt not to frighten the child.

At this point she spots the bear sitting patiently at the background. She stops, then puts her hands on her hips, apparently relaxed. She waves the greeting sign known to druids only and says in the Secret Tongue:
"Come forth from your disguise. You are a welcome guest on my territory."

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - Toot - 05-20-2016

[OoC: I know right?  A butterfly and a tarrasque strolling through a meadow make the same amount of noise.   Huh   In pathfinder, both hide and move silently are rolled into the stealth skill so the modifiers do count for both hiding and moving silently.  Also, what about a flying wizard?  Shouldn't he get a competence bonus on moving silently?  Anyways, it sounds like imma be making a new house rule.   Tongue  ]

Toot sees that his cover is blown again but chooses to remain skeptical of the woman's motives.  The only thing keeping him from running away was the fact she spoke with the secret druid language.  Only druids know how to speak their language but that didn't mean that all druids were friendly with each other.  Just like almost any profession, there good and evil people who join.  

Toot takes a step back and holds one hand up at her as warning to stay were she was and the other at Boo to not yet charge to Toot's defense.  In Druidic, Toot says, "Me Toot.  What your name, Lady?"

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - DM Surranó - 05-20-2016

As far as Toot can tell the tame bear's presence sold him as a friend of animals but his cover is not completely blown. The woman speaking the Secret Tongue was just a test to see if he was a druid or of some other occupation, like a hunter or ranger. She may have just guessed that a halfling child was too young to have a bear.

"Kiera the Hunter," the woman nods. "Well met, Toot. Your bear looks exhausted and I feel your disguise hides your pain as well."
Turning sideways, she motions towards her hideout as a kind of invitation.

The woman speaks the druidic language in a raw style, using primal phrases more than refined human emotions and concepts. Old Landgrave used similar phrases but not often. The visually impaired man taught Toot that centuries ago the Secret Tongue was much simpler and closer to nature but he considered many of these phrases archaic and inadequate in today's world.
[OOC - In proper English her "feel" would sound like "think" or "assume". Imagine it as talking to someone using XVII'th century English.]

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - Toot - 05-25-2016

Toot gives Kiera the customary Jermlaine greeting to show he can be trusted by flopping the loose skin hanging from his protruding belly to show that he doesn't have any weapons concealed in there (as his kind often do).  He then replies while motioning to his companion, "Boo hit by creature that looked like evil spirit.  Since then Boo feel weak and not himself.  Toot worried Boo might be hexed with bad Juju!" 

Toot wasn't sure about this woman.  This had already been an abnormally bad day.  With the way things were going, him and Boo could end up in a witches cauldron being served with eye of newt and stinkweed to her coven.

"You have concealed weapons," Toot asks suspiciously in Druidic.  "Toot small but know how to defend self if threatened.  Been really bad day and Toot and Boo tired and hungry and need no more trouble."

RE: SOLO - Toot's Adventure - DM Surranó - 05-25-2016

"I have my spear and bow in my hut," Kiera replies, apprently distracted by the bear's state.

"With your consent I may have a way to lift the hex from Boo."

Assuming Toot lets her look Boo up she continues in a calming tone to keep the bear relaxed.
"You said it was an evil spirit and I've been visited by Taela of the local circle who told me to watch out for the same. If you spot an oversized crocodile around it must be his wild shape. I account for the carnivores around this moor and none of the crocs are longer than five feet. The scrag feed on them. But back on track, Taela told me that great evil stirs under the bullette mound over there." she says, indicating the mound Toot could see as he emerged from the thoqqua-dug tunnel.

"He gave me this amulet that has a persistent protection against creatures of the netherworld and a small asset of countering any ill effect already suffered. He also told me to stay away but support the cave druid. That would be you?"